Mach 2 Telford release: 1/72 VC-10

Procopius

I hate to say this, but this is what saddens me whenever I see a Mach2 release of a subject that I really like. 

On the one hand it's great to see the company tackle these subjects, but on the other you just know that it's one less chance that another company may produce said subject.

I worked around VC-10s for years, I enjoy making some changes to models but that nose section is going to be very hard to rework and puts me off the whole kit.  Many of the other details just look off aswel.

I know us modellers want different things from kits, but I want overall accuracy, even if it means a little corrective work to achieve that.

• Like 1

I do not have a lot of knowledge on the VC-10, and I had very little time to look at things at the show, but decided I did need to see the VC-10, and my immediate reaction as I walked past was that the nose just looked to fat and chunky....well to the untrained eye on a subject and without having anything on hand to compare it too that was my first thoughts.

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

It is wrong isn't it ? Is the back window (Nav's) higher than the one next to it ? Can't tell from the glare or reflection . A bit picky now but Doors out of proportion , wrong shape ,too square and small window too high . Easy things to change ,I hope , so is the Pitot . It's too Meaty ,too high and looks like a Black and Decker . I've been told that Nose leg is a pull out for transportation to shows etc. and not what you'll get in the box . Don't think , that second angle is included , there isn't one . I've just decided I'm not getting rid of my Anigrand for this . Shame really

It's Russ W , John ! I hadn't seen the HDU either ! Going to need 3 AMS Cat 3 team on it . As you can see above I'm walking away  it now  .

The main thing that struck me was the change in angle from the windscreen to the nose.  Too pronounced.  The VC-10 looks much more streamlined as the windscreen doesn't slope at such a steep angle and almost blends in to the contours of the nose.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Glen said:

The nose profile of the Mach kit is totally off. The windscreen is far to vertical creating a step to the radome. Looks very like the Tristar to me. It should be a continuous line from the roof through the windscreen to the radome. Loses all the grace of the 10.

Alan needs 10 orders to do his kit. I’m certainly in for one.

Late to this thread, but I’ve has a good, injection moulded, 1/72 VC10K in my wish list for some time. The cockpit on the Mach kit is going to require major surgery, so this might not be it. Be interested in seeing the Icelandic version and would be very much up for one (or 2) as well if it’s good.

There must have been a few of these kits sold but where on earth can we find pictures or reviews for the kit. 

Searched online and found nothing. It's like the kit has a none disclosure agreement with online photos 

49 minutes ago, thepureness said:

There must have been a few of these kits sold but where on earth can we find pictures or reviews for the kit. 

Searched online and found nothing. It's like the kit has a none disclosure agreement with online photos 

The kit has been out less than a week, you will might find an OOB review in a few weeks on one of the usual websites like Hyperscale,  Modelling Madness or others.

Weren't there some test shots built on the Telford stand? I have yet to see any Telford pictures.

7 hours ago, JamesP said:

I'm posting this without further comment, but as a even as non VC-10 expert this immediate stuck out to me 

VC-10.jpg

You can can see how different the angle of the windshield is from the image below. The real aircraft doesn’t have quite so much of a “forehead,” either. Still, nothing that a big hunk of aftermarket resin won’t fix.🤪

VC10-XV106-at-Brunty.jpg

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The real aircraft doesn’t have quite so much of a “forehead

That’s not a forehead, it’s a fivehead!

I had a look at one of these at model club last night and was surprised at how crude a short run kit actually is with lots of flash on the sprues, the surface detail looked okay if a little soft. It’s definitely not a kit that my skills could cope with. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

That’s not a forehead, it’s a fivehead!

I had a look at one of these at model club last night and was surprised at how crude a short run kit actually is with lots of flash on the sprues, the surface detail looked okay if a little soft. It’s definitely not a kit that my skills could cope with. 

Look at how much shorter the outline of the door is on the kit compared to the real thing too. I’m starting to question if the whole windscreen itself is too low on the fuselage.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

That's actually good for Mach 2. Other short run companies do much better

14 hours ago, dambuster said:

'double bubble'

No . Vickers had an early VC10 design with that but that was really riding on the back of the VC9 Vanguard double bubble fuselage

16 hours ago, Brizeman said:

John

Blimey , how long was the detachment and how many A/Tech/A/P/E trades blokes did you have  ? There is a guy that lives round the corner from me that worked on Mt Pleasant Airport building the Hangar and other buildings . He had to fly Heathrow to South Africa and then another flight to The Falklands . Never went through Brize once .

22 hours ago, Glen said:

The nose profile of the Mach kit is totally off. The windscreen is far to vertical creating a step to the radome. Looks very like the Tristar to me. It should be a continuous line from the roof through the windscreen to the radome. Loses all the grace of the 10.

Alan needs 10 orders to do his kit. I’m certainly in for one.

I don't think 10 orders will materialise but I have enough interest below the 10 orders to move forward and carry out some modifications, readjustments and research and that means another visit to see a C.MK.1 and then finalise production plans. I myself love this elegant aircraft and I have done it justice in most respects, its not perfect but judging by what BMs have said, I will start work on modifications to bring it up to standard. I was quite prepared to buy the other Ten at Telford and now having seen it in detail, there is simply too much work to do, I am not a modeller and don't have the skills to correct the French kit; I have seen the faults and they are worse than I thought. If anybody thinks they can easily correct this kit, they are in for a shock.

Alan

• Like 6

Russ 

It was the standard 4 month detachment. There were 6 people on each shift and two shifts. There were 2 riggers ,2 sumpies,1 leckie and 1 fairy. The work on 141 was carried out by 1 shift. The HDU change took us all weekend. Aircrew loved it as they got the weekend off as the aircraft was u/s.

1 hour ago, Icelandic Fine Art said:

I don't think 10 orders will materialise but I have enough interest below the 10 orders to move forward and carry out some modifications, readjustments and research and that means another visit to see a C.MK.1 and then finalise production plans. I myself love this elegant aircraft and I have done it justice in most respects, its not perfect but judging by what BMs have said, I will start work on modifications to bring it up to standard. I was quite prepared to buy the other Ten at Telford and now having seen it in detail, there is simply too much work to do, I am not a modeller and don't have the skills to correct the French kit; I have seen the faults and they are worse than I thought. If anybody thinks they can easily correct this kit, they are in for a shock.

Alan

Count me in for one of yours!

16 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

You can can see how different the angle of the windshield is from the image below. The real aircraft doesn’t have quite so much of a “forehead,” either. Still, nothing that a big hunk of aftermarket resin won’t fix.🤪

But totally unnecessary nowadays. A simple online search would give profiles, shapes, outlines and dimensions within seconds.

Aftermarket to enhance and add the really fine detail unachievable with injection moulding is great, but not to correct the basic shape that should have been made in the mould.

If I had the money I would add my name to Alans waiting list.

Jeff