Mach 2 Telford release: 1/72 VC-10

Procopius

15 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

a hint

I went on their site , got nothing . The site looks like it's down right now (14:34 ) . Might be in their News section .

22 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Please can you give a link to that you put up ? I searched their site and got nil . Thanks for putting that up BTW . Looks promising .

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235061867-mach-2-telford-release-172-vc-10/&do=findComment&comment=3475526

https://www.facebook.com/airgraphicmodels/posts/1671367412997121

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

a 1/72 VC-10

Shaken and stirred and feathers ruffled .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whilst chatting to modellers at Telford, I noticed the amount of Mach 2 VC10s that people had in their possession, unfortunately manning my own stand, I was unable to visit Didier and Mach 2. Mach 2 should be commended for bringing out another neglected story of British aviation heritage and if I had made enough money at my stand, I would have bought one. No doubt in the coming weeks we will get a full review of the kit. In my time as a designer, I have had some spectacularly expensive failures and I have had to live with it but sales is what counts and it makes or breaks a product and in the case of the Mach 2 VC10, I think Mach 2 will struggle to keep up with demand and may well prove to be their best seller. On a lighter note and totally unrelated, I recall a story many years ago about an Indian shipyard that took 14 years to build a ship, one of the longest construction projects in history, when it was finally finished, with great pride, the ship was launched into the water, it proceeded with great gusto and after clearing the slipway, it broke in half. Its a true story. 

Alan

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I purchased the low-viz VC10 XV107 from Didier at Telford, and have been comparing against references, including images of XV107.

While there is more work to be done to check everything, I am very pleased with the overall outline of wing, fuselage, fin and tail, and the washout of the wings.  I am encouraged that such subtle features as the non standard spacing of the rear window on the port side has been faithfully captured.

Observations to date:

• The wing-body fairing seems to come a little too far forward and will need to be cut back - no more than 0.5cm
  • The fin fillet leading edge is not sharp enough
  • The nib between the engine exhaust seems a little shallow
  • The characteristic twist in the engine pylons needs care to introduce - flat as moulded but within scope of bending the plastic
  • The windscreen looks odd because the central panel is twice as wide as it should be - easy to cut but may have other implications on the nose shape.  I also think the cockpit transparency needs to be tilted back a bit, but this requires assembly to test.
  • Usual challenge of cabin window alignment 
  • Fin vortex generators need to be added

On the whole - looks pretty good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Firstly I would like to say, we now have an injection 1/72 VC10 at long last, my first impressions are similar to ho590hm, but to me the most obvious corrections needed if you are totally bothered that is as some modellers might feel it looks like a VC10 which I have no problem with, but if you wish to alter things there are some glaring issues, such as the Nose looks totally wrong, the leading edge on the vertical tail is not pointy enough at the base and half way up, where then it becomes more curved, there should be more of an angle on the engine mount at the front and straight at the back, quite evident when you look at photos, also the main undercarriage should be angled back not straight as the kit is, there probably is other things but these were my first impressions when I saw the kit on Saturday, by the way Alan at Icelandic models VC10 has the correct nose and tail in my opinion, but says he will not release it because on the Mach 2 kit.

Maybe I'm being cynical but I spent to much time scouring over the VC10 at Brooklands not to notice certain things, and it is my favourite aircraft after all 😁

• Like 3

The nose profile of the Mach kit is totally off. The windscreen is far to vertical creating a step to the radome. Looks very like the Tristar to me. It should be a continuous line from the roof through the windscreen to the radome. Loses all the grace of the 10.

Alan needs 10 orders to do his kit. I’m certainly in for one.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ho590hm said:

I purchased the low-viz VC10 XV107 from Didier at Telford, and have been comparing against references, including images of XV107.

While there is more work to be done to check everything, I am very pleased with the overall outline of wing, fuselage, fin and tail, and the washout of the wings.  I am encouraged that such subtle features as the non standard spacing of the rear window on the port side has been faithfully captured.

Observations to date:

• The wing-body fairing seems to come a little too far forward and will need to be cut back - no more than 0.5cm
  • The characteristic twist in the engine pylons needs care to introduce - flat as moulded but within scope of bending the plastic
  • The windscreen looks odd because the central panel is twice as wide as it should be - easy to cut but may have other implications on the nose shape.  I also think the cockpit transparency needs to be tilted back a bit, but this requires assembly to test.

On the whole - looks pretty good.

Any chance we can see some photos of the kit, want to see the part break down and quality of the parts 

Hi 

Now I am getting a bit confused. The box for the low vis aircraft is serialed as XV107/X which is a C1K but the box is labelled as a K2. If it is a C1k it will require new wings and engine stub wings. My thoughts are that it is a low vis K2 which is perfectly correct as this was their final scheme before retirement. Having studied the made up kits on Saturday my thoughts are that there is something very wrong with the front fuselage shape from the cockpit forward. Also the nose leg is too long causing the aircraft to sit level where  as the aircraft sits slightly nose down. 
     Having spent over 20 years working on RAF VC10s I was looking forward to this kit  butI leftTelford disappointed.

John

19 hours ago, ho590hm said:

Couple of things there .The VC10 Fin doesn't have Vortex Generators .Not sure if you're confusing the series of small pressure relief grills on that long fin lead edge panel 

107's stub wing ( Your engine pylons) is faceted ,its dihedral then flattens out, There is a facet that runs front to back  . The  facet line is at an angle  running outboard away from the fuse join  . So it's cranked . The Stub wing from the front is a kind of Gull wing shaped . From the rear squared off trailing edge is like an almost  flattened diamond

The Fin Fillet ? Is that the lower ,Dorsal Fin ? It does look blunt on the photos I've seen . From the start to above that Heat Exchanger grill it is sharp and less than 90 degs , more like 70 degs , above that last smallish panel the angle opens out and is a rounder leading edge but not to 90degs , that's long one right up the fin . Have a look at 808 on the walkround photos . Some useful pics on there . You can also check the other VC10  walkround  XV109 , it has the same Stub wing . Wider span and more comfortable to lay on !

I can't see the Beaver tail on the photos ( that's your Nib) These things have had more MODs than anything else .

All the Supers were either built with Conical shaped Beavers ( East African ) or Modified to Conical late 60s ,which is all BOAC Supers ending up  Conical and not 107 shaped . Do not copy those . SGB and SGC didn't get the newer Beaver Tails and close enough for you .

Same offer to you and all who wants any . If you want photos of anything . I have stacks of detail photos . Just need your email address .

XR808 walkround

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235030494-vickers-vc-10-raf-c1k-xr808/

XV109 walkround

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234913050-vickers-vc-10/

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Brizeman said:

XV107/X which is a C1K

Think he only has one set of wings John . Fine for 107 Wrong for the K2 .

Heres the Starbucks page ,comments on there are something .photos of two ( wrong wings) and box lids

https://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&p=73642#73642

PS I hadn't noticed the C1K was called a K2 . I just saw 107 ! From the wings to the boxing . Confusion .

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JamesP said:

I'm posting this without further comment, but as a even as non VC-10 expert this immediate stuck out to me 

VC-10.jpg

I didn't know that BOAC ever used the Tristar. 

• Haha 5

Like I said BZN20 I am totally confused as to just what mark of VC10 these are supposed to be. I know the RAF 1106 VC10s are a hybrid but so are these kits. Would be interesting to see if the low vis example has the HDU fairing because if it does it definitely isn’t a C1K. 

John

4 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I didn't know

It is wrong isn't it ? Is the back window (Nav's) higher than the one next to it ? Can't tell from the glare or reflection . A bit picky now but Doors out of proportion , wrong shape ,too square and small window too high . Easy things to change ,I hope , so is the Pitot . It's too Meaty ,too high and looks like a Black and Decker . I've been told that Nose leg is a pull out for transportation to shows etc. and not what you'll get in the box . Don't think , that second angle is included , there isn't one . I've just decided I'm not getting rid of my Anigrand for this . Shame really

2 minutes ago, Brizeman said:

HDU fairing

It's Russ W , John ! I hadn't seen the HDU either ! Going to need 3 AMS Cat 3 team on it . As you can see above I'm walking away  it now  .

That was one of the other gripes Russ. Never seen a 10 with a forestay on its nose leg . Crew escape door on the tanker had a fairing on the top which is missing but the fwd pax door on the BOAC example just looks wrong. Too square and too big. 
incidently we had ZA141 sent down to us in the Falklands straight out of minor. First trip and it landed as a no point tanker. One hose trailed other pod not working and HDU not working either. Ended up changing One pod repairing the other one and eventually changing the HDU as well. That was a pleasant way to spend the weekend.

John

• Like 1