Mach 2 Telford release: 1/72 VC-10

Procopius

21 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Quite a big mistake the wings are the wrong shape with a dogtooth halfway along the leading edge

@bzn20, I know the VC10 is dear to your heart, but unless you think that the kitted wing is the wrong shape for a wing with leading edge extensions (which is what I believe has been kitted), then the above is rather harsh criticism. It could be construed by those less familiar with the VC10 that you're being severely critical of the shape of the moulded plastic, when it appears to me that your only justified complaint is the choice of colour schemes aren't all appropriate for the version of VC10 that the plastic represents.

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Mach 2 have made a kit of one VC10 model and put it in 3 boxes to catch all . That BOAC VC10 never existed , that RAF VC10 K2 never existed .

It's not right to do that .

You are right but, other manufacturers are also guilty of boxing kits with the colour schemes for different versions of an aircraft. Hasegawa and Italeri do it a lot, and quite recently as well. Have you seen the recent Italeri fire fighting Bell 412? The plastic while a 412 does not include any the the firefighting accessories or tall skids of the aircraft portrayed on the box art. 

With these new releases being very secret it is a pity that these manufacturers do not seek out more help from subject matter experts to get these finer details correct.

The thing is that it will keep the after market decal makers busy creating suitable markings for this new release.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ho590hm said:

see the production line

About the same time then . I've followed the VC10 since around 1962 ish . My Dad went on a BOAC VC10 Flt Eng course , I was in Brooklands ATC 11F Squadron which was in Brooklands ( not surprising anyone )and used to get 'round the production line quite often . I've been on every VC10 (54) worked on more than 30 , flown on 20 odd . Last visit to Brooklands was April ish 1970 When the very last VC10 5H-MOG (ZA150 RAF K3) ,East African was sat in the Cathedral Hangar waiting for it 1st flight later in the week . I joined up in Oct 70 and went to Brize on Tens in early 72 ,left Brize in late 92. Roughly 40,000 hours .

I haven't seen the Stub Wing , Beaver Tails yet , the inbd wing fence doesn't go back far enough ,should be on  the cusp of 6 th/7th  plank . that's over half the chord . And because he wasn't looking at the correct VC10 he's missed the outbd fence that the Standards advertised on the boxes by Mach 2 have . Nobody is expecting a perfect thing , they should have got it somewhere near though and paid attention , the wing shape isn't a small thing . There is enough info about that and why it was done in any VC10 book . It's a shame really .

I have the Anigrand kit , that's got some problems , same actually . Boxed as a K2 , its a C.Mk1 or C1K depending if the refuel gear stays or goes . Luckily that's what I want to do the C.Mk1 .Some other bits and bobs ,nothing massive like shaving the outbd wing leading edge back though .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

aren't all appropriate for the version of VC10

They can build the BOAC Standard VC10 or an RAF K2 if they want . That wing is wrong for that particular aeroplane . Fine for a Super VC10 and RAF C.Mk1 /C.1K . I'm just letting it be known .  Some won't be bothered ,just want to build it . Others want the accuracy . How much is this kit ? Over £100 inline with Anigrand and the Magna . Under £100 it's a bargain but still a lot of money . So they build a model of a plane that never existed . two of the three boxings never existed ,The C.1K is the only one that did . Info /help/advice  is what a forum is for . 20 years on them ,I should be able to help somebody go down the right road if that's what they want , build it anyway is fine too , it's a hobby not hard labour.  I get asked all the time about  VC10 differences .

I haven't said and wouldn't say don't buy it so I don't think I'm being harsh either but there you go.

If I didn't have a 1/72nd VC10 already I would buy it . The C .1K version

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Fictitious or not, I actually rather like the camouflage version. A lot more interesting than the real boring grey finish.

Allan

ZA141 did fly in those colours, but was repainted into the then-current Hemp (Camouflage Beige) and Light Aircraft Grey scheme some time around when she was delivered to the RAF.  The point that was being made is that the kit has the “wrong” wing for a BOAC/BA VC-10, from which all of the K. Mk. 2 tankers were converted, although some of them had seen service with other airlines before conversion.  

I’ve not yet seen the kit, but from comments above it appears that the kit wing has the extended inboard leading edges appropriate to the V.1103, 1106, 1151, 1154 members of the VC-10 family and may even require some judicious modification to properly represent one or more of those variants.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m know nothing about the VC-10 although I’ve flown in a few in the past. I remember ZA141 at Boscombe Down for a period so that’s the attraction for me. For the sake of clarity for me and others less knowledgeable, could you post up photo’s of the differences in the wing, that would be really appreciated. Picture paints a thousand words and all that.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedy said:

Picture

BM walkround go  to #2 BA Standard VC10 RVM at Cosford and go down 'til you have a view down the leading edge from the tip

There is a similar view of the Sultan's Standard VC10 at Brooklands higher up that page , post #1 . Do not take any notice of that wing tip  . Only on BUA's original order so BCAL/RAe Bedford/Air Malawi , Sultans too , Ghana A/W and MEA .

I can send a stack of photos to you via email . Anything you want , just pm me with your email address  . Same for anyone else .

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, stever219 said:

ZA141 did fly in those colours, but was repainted into the then-current Hemp (Camouflage Beige) and Light Aircraft Grey scheme some time around when she was delivered to the RAF.  The point that was being made is that the kit has the “wrong” wing for a BOAC/BA VC-10, from which all of the K. Mk. 2 tankers were converted, although some of them had seen service with other airlines before conversion.  

I’ve not yet seen the kit, but from comments above it appears that the kit wing has the extended inboard leading edges appropriate to the V.1103, 1106, 1151, 1154 members of the VC-10 family and may even require some judicious modification to properly represent one or more of those variants.

I understood the point being made very well.😊. To be honest, I can't tell one VC-10 from another so, the point I was making (not very well I admit. my fault)was that it does not bother me. 

I know that does not sit well with some people but, that's just me!  I'm very much a " build it anyway " sort of guy.

In any case, it's all moot as I cannot, at the moment afford the kit! However, my partner is looking for further suggestions to add to her Crimbo shopping list...!😂

Seriously though, I think this is probably the only chance of a 1/72 VC-10 in I M styrene for the foreseeable future. For that reason, I would buy it, warts and all.. I am genuinely  sorry if others are disappointed.

Allan

• Like 2

Not a problem here Allan, but the Vickers Funbus is a favourite if mine, which does tend to push me towards rivet-counting mode🤪🙄.

I agree that this is likely to be our only shot at an IM VC-10 but if I can get hold of one I'd be doing it as an RAF C. Mk. 1 from the "Shiny Fleet" days.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Shiny Fleet

Nice . 1978/79 Grey Radome or previous Black ?

36 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Nice . 1978/79 Grey Radome or previous Black ?

I’ve a sneaky preference for the black radome.  Do you know if the AAR probe was fitted during that period?

As you your query on price the kit didn’t even show on Mach 2’s website when I looked earlier, but I’d guess around 80 quid.

Dd,

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Is there a price yet ?

I'm sure I saw a post either here or another forum  suggesting a likely price of about £100 using the Anigrand and Magna resin kits as a comparison.

I think they are both around the £150 mark.

With the recent Brittania over £60, I'd be assuming a price of maybe £70-80 for the VC - 10.

Appreciate I was jumping the gun a bit but, I cannot afford the Brittania either! ☺️

Allan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stever219 said:

Not a problem here Allan, but the Vickers Funbus is a favourite if mine, which does tend to push me towards rivet-counting mode🤪🙄.

I agree that this is likely to be our only shot at an IM VC-10 but if I can get hold of one I'd be doing it as an RAF C. Mk. 1 from the "Shiny Fleet" days.

No worries mate! 😊. As long as we both enjoy the hobby, I don't think it matters how we approach it.

I'm just happy to have the opportunity to get my paws on a 1/72 VC-10. Well, maybe not now but, at some future time when my finances are in better health! 😅

Whatever the kits faults may be, she's still a beautiful lady!

Allan

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, stever219 said:

during that period

The first four XR806 ,807,808 and 809 took off on  first flights without one . I have photos of most of those RAF C.Mk1 first flight take offs from Weybridge . They fitted a probe to 806 at Wisley shortly after for testing at Boscombe Down in 66 where it coupled with a Victor . Haven't got another of those first 4 VC10s with a probe fitted . Even XR807 at Farnborough in 1966 didn't have one fitted . Got pictures of that too.

So to answer you question . XR806 had a probe and Black Radome in 1966 . I never saw one . They were stored at Brize as Role equipment , fitted when required l. They never were . During the Falklands War . A friend was a Chief Tech in Eng Ops . He got a signal from 38 group Strike ( we were part of Strike Command ) Fit all refuelling Probes to the VC10s ( we only had the 13 Shiny Tens back then )  He looked for and found another signal in archives . He phoned the sender . We haven't got any probes Sir . What do you mean ? Haven't got any ,they were scrapped . On who's authority ? Got a signal here sent by Air Support Command ( previous Command 67-72 ) authorising scrapping them Sir . Send me a copy of it please . He did and never heard another word . They didn't get a new set 'til the late 80s . He'd been on VC10s from 1966-67  at RAF Fairford while the Brize runway resurfacing was being finished off , then Brize 'til around 71 so he knew all about the really early days .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 4

56 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

£70-80 for the VC - 10

Thanks . That's a bargain .

I’ve just found some images of XR806, ‘808 and ‘810 with black radomes, Transport Command titles and no AAR probes.  You just couldn’t write it that all of the original probes were scrapped but, sadly, it’s typical of the type of officialdom we seem to have too much of.

9 minutes ago, stever219 said:

I’ve just found some images of XR806, ‘808 and ‘810

Same here , I just went through all my RAF Ten files and it seems only 806 had it for the Boscombe Down trials . And scrapping stuff is typical . We had spare Engine pods too , they were fitted to the left wing lower surface around Rib 10 . 2 of them sat in Role Equipment in a dirty corner covered in dust , webs and bird's droppings . They disappeared somewhere between 73 and 81 . I suppose one reason was we could carry a Conway on it's carriage in the cabin . BTW you'll have to go some to find XR809 photos with four Conways  fitted ,that was the RB211 ( re reg to G-AXLR ) testbed RR nicked from us . I have a few but rare as Hen's Teeth

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

Thanks . That's a bargain .

It's only a guesstimate mind! 😊. Hopefully, won't be too wide of the mark. We will find out for sure next week!

Allan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

really good price if true!

That's a bargain , half the price of a resin kit  . I'm kind of  thinking of selling my Anigrand and buying this but only the C1K because of the wing ,written enough about this already  above .

But then again , you spotted something your not happy about . Have to wait to see any photos of it hopefully from this weekend's Telford bash .

Thanks for the info 71Chally .

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 11:19 PM, Procopius said:

Per Air-Graphics, it WILL be a VC-10 and they are producing resin sets for it.

Please can you give a link to that you put up ? I searched their site and got nil . Thanks for putting that up BTW . Looks promising .