Mach 2 Telford release: 1/72 VC-10

Procopius

On 9 October 2019 at 5:24 AM, Homebee said:

Strong rumours (from France - Master194 forum link) say: 1/72nd Vickers VC-10.

Three boxing/references expected for SMW 2019 : BOAC, RAF camouflaged & grey.

V.P.

Probably true as I bit the bullet & added a Magna VC-10 to the loft insulation just last month!

I was hopeful the the reference to Heavy Lift (I think the capitals were included in the Facebook post) meant this would be a Belfast. Heavy Lift being the company that bought 5 (of the 10 built) from the RAF and flew them until the early 90s I think. Interestingly they were used to transport bulky kit in both the Falklands and Gulf operations.

Edge

On 09/10/2019 at 05:39, VMA131Marine said:

takemymoney.jpg

Couldn't agree more. Even if it's Mach 2's legendary quality it's better than the 1/72 VC-10 I've not got at the moment!

That will mean I can keep my Roden 1/144 VC-10s as civilian aircraft and build Mach 2 1/72 scale VC-10s as military variants. As it should be.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

There was only ever one Low viz Vc10 with a pale blue cheat line which was ZA149 ,a K3 which was the first VC10 tanker to be repainted into the overall camouflage grey scheme. Subsequent repaints had the cheat line and serials painted in Dark Camouflage Grey . ZA149 had its markings amended to the later scheme. 

John

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/9/2019 at 12:39 AM, VMA131Marine said:

takemymoney.jpg

This warrants saying again given the confirmation of a new VC.10.

Is there any chance of a Super VC.10 as well as this was the more common variant.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2

Looks OK made up, but that BOAC shot, the windscreen looks a bit blunt. I hope the final result is right. Didier's thick canopies will allow some adjustment with a bit of effort.

Nice to see how a certain person's criticism was getting called out. The 'expert' who never puts pictures of his models up for scrutiny.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Looks OK made up, but that BOAC shot, the windscreen looks a bit blunt. I hope the final result is right. Didier's thick canopies will allow some adjustment with a bit of effort.

You are correct, perhaps he was going for DC-10 instead of VC-10 at the nose?

I'm honestly from the "Close enough is good enough" school of modelling so if it looks (even sort of) VC-10 shaped and I can paint it in a VC-10 colour scheme, then for me it will be sufficient; I get that's not to everyone's style but I'll see how I feel when I've got the plastic in front of me. I'm not against a bit of very amateur scratchbuilding or modification so I shall wait and see.

• Like 4

The pictures look like a VC10. 

The build pictures highlight one common issue with VC10 kits in terms of the inboard leading edge extensions.

The early BOAC standard VC10s (series 1101) were delivered without these mods, and ZA141 (which is the only grey/green camouflaged aircraft) was a converted 1101 (G-ARVG).  The built image shows leading edge extensions which applied to series 1102/1103 (like the preserved aircraft at Brooklands) and the military 1106 as well as the Supers.

The grey camouflaged example seems to be XV107, which is a series 1106 delivered with extensions.

Notwithstanding that I will be at Telford to get a grey one on 9 November.

www.vc10.net is a great resource.

Howard

Heritage Manager BAE Systems

Seriously tempted by this, but it might have to wait until after SMW as Mrs T and I are going to Shropshire for the weekend and so not easy to conceal, also I want a York for Lancaster group build next year

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 7:29 PM, AMB said:

alternative fuselage rears for a HS748?

The wings are different . The Avro/HS780 Andover has longer span ,mainly at the wing root to move the engines with larger Props further outboard . Higher on it's wheels too .

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Nocoolname said:

Would love a set of BA Negus & Negus decals

Only 3 BA Standard VC10s were sprayed up in Negus . G-ARVF ,'RVJ and RVM . VF and VJ were only in that scheme for an eye blink before they were leased out to UAE and Gulf Air respectively  . Not sure if this is bad news for you or not but those wings are not correct for a BOAC and BA Standard , they didn't have the leading edge extension and that means the wing is too big . Just saying in case it matters to you .

That also means the VC10 K2 Tanker 9ZA141) wings a wrong too as they are ex BOAC Standards .

Edited by bzn20

5 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Only 3 BA Standard VC10s were sprayed up in Negus . G-ARVF ,'RVJ and RVM . VF and VJ were only in that scheme for an eye blink before they were leased out to UAE and Gulf Air respectively  . Not sure if this is bad news for you or not but those wings are not correct for a BOAC and BA Standard , they didn't have the leading edge extension and that means the wing is too big . Just saying in case it matters to you .

That also means the VC10 K2 Tanker 9ZA141) wings a wrong too as they are ex BOAC Standards .

Nope! None of it matters in the slightest. It looks like a VC-10 and that's good enough for me. And the VC-10 wore Negus & Negus livery and that's good enough for me. Just like this one:

Vickers_Super_VC10_Srs1151,_British_Airways_AN1826864

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Nocoolname said:

Just like this one:

Great picture … That's a Super VC10 BTW and not this kit ,not yet anyway . I know you're ok with the kit and happy that it looks like one . It will to some people though and it's not on .

Is it just me but with all the fanfare of this release …. 2 of the 3 are wrong . Quite a big mistake the wings are the wrong shape with a dogtooth halfway along the leading edge . Only the C1K is correct although not seen the sprues . You'd think they'd try and get it right wouldn't you ? Study the different VC10 specs .  If a Spitfire Mk V kit came out and it turns out to be a Mk 12 we would  never hear the end of it …. And that would look like a Spitfire .

Mach 2 have made a kit of one VC10 model and put it in 3 boxes to catch all . That BOAC VC10 never existed , that RAF VC10 K2 never existed .

It's not right to do that .

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

Not just you - see my post of yesterday.

The VC10 holds a place in my heart as my grandfather took me to see the production line in 1963 when I was nine - prompted me to spend nearly half a century in the industry.

Having agreed that the planform fits the Series 1106 version, next thing to look at is the wing thickness/dihedral, the engine pylons and the shape of the nose and tailplane bullet - and whether the windows are in a straight line, based on experience with the Comet.  I hope Didier has not followed the Airfix 1/144 nose shape which is horrible.

Didier - do you want to take my money in GBP or EUR?

Howard Mason

Heritage Manager, BAE Systems

• Like 3