Making decals

Hello everyone 

Hope someone can help me out on this topic, I’ve bought the old Airfix model kit of the Queen Elizabeth 1/600 scale and I am wanting to add windows to the bare superstructure by making them out of decals.

As I’ve never done anything like this before I am looking for advice on a computer program to design them or the best way to go about it.

Thank you 

Paul 

• 4 weeks later...

There are a number of threads discussin how to make decals in the general decals section of the forum, I would start from there to get a general idea of what can and what can't be done at home and to see which materials are best.

Personally I use a cheap Epson laser printer on Bare Metal Expert's Choice paper and I get results that I'm quite happy with, of course within the limitation of what I can print. I suppose that the windows you would need will be printed in black, so something very easy to do at home in my epxerience.

Regarding a software to draw these, my advice is to use a vectorial drawing software. There are several on the market but the cheapest option is Inkscape, that is completely free. Just search the web for their website and download from there.

With these softwares it's possible to draw a single window in whatever size makes drawing it easiest, then scale it to the actual size you want on your model. You can then duplicate the drawing as many times as necessary and align a number of windows at the correct spacing to make all the window groups you need.

As every new software it will take some time to get started but once you know how to do even the easiest things, it becomes a very powerful tool

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

I know I'm a little late to this but have been on hols for a month with no Internet (hurrah!).

For most of the decals I print I simply use Microsoft PowerPoint.  It does everything that Georgio says above.  It can get a little challenged with really small decals (it can't cope for example with cockpit flight  instruments in 1/48 if you want to see the needle and the markings on the dials) but for the sort of thing you want it's fine.

• 1 month later...

Firstly I like to apologise to both Giorgio and Chewbacca for not thanking you until now for your time taken in answering my question.

Sorry once again guys, but I'm in the British Merchant Navy and have been away and as some of you old sea dogs may know the internet is not always the fastest even when it does work !

Your information was very helpful and I hope to put it into practice soon.

Thanks again