A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

10 minutes ago, noelh said:

Do you know you can't photocopy or scan bank notes? 

No not that it's illegal, which it is but the scanner or copier will recognise it and either refuse or produce a degraded copy. 

Aye, and the muppets on the cash desk STILL take 'em as legal tender....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

You can put any sane rational stable person into a van and a large percentage turn out to be suicidel nuts....

Something similar happens when sane rational people come onto Britmodeller  - the evidence is here in these posts.  But nutty in a very nice sort of Cadbury's fruit and nut way

• Like 4

Here is a truly mind boggling and awesome fact from the universe at large!

In 2017 a star went supernova (SN2013fs) in a spiral galaxy within the Pegasus constellation. Before it went Supernova the star was shining at 10,000 times the brightness of our sun. The star was ten times the mass of our sun and was a mere,.....wait for it...….160 MILLION Light years away so the Supernova actually happened 160 million years ago!! Think about that distance for a minute. That distance is how far light will travel in 160 million years at a speed of 186 thousand miles per second!

If a similar star in our own galaxy went Supernova it would fry us instantly with pure light and we wouldn't even see it coming because the energy wave will be travelling at the speed of light in fact, for all we know, a star has already blown somewhere in our galactic neighbourhood and the blast is on it's way. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Buried in Rothwell churchyard is John Blenkinsop who designed one of the first practical steam locomotive that ran on the Middleton Railway in Leeds in 1812 (it was named 'Salamanca' after the battle in Spain in the same year) . Middleton was the first railway in the world to use steam motive power and still exists. The churchyard is pretty near where I live

• Like 4

On 09/10/2019 at 13:19, thorfinn said:

Without looking it up...

...what is the accepted term for a resident of yon Kalamazoo? Kalamazoolian? Kalamazooite?

(Or perhaps the ever-popular "Hey, you!....")

Mon pere grew up there, so I've heard it all before....

Ya know, I had to look it up.

Apparently it is "Kalamazooian" although everyone here just says that they are from 'Kazoo'.

• Like 1

They recently discovered that there has as recently as 350,000 years ago a massive radiation "burp" from the super-massive black hole at the centre of the Milky Way (that galaxy where we live), and the only reason we know is that the massive "ray" that was issued as part of the belch has caused perturbation of some gaseous cloud between galaxies.  it's a dangerous business being alive in a galaxy near a big boiling ball of nuclear fission.  Did you know that if sound could travel through a vacuum the sound here on earth (94 million miles away?) would be like standing next to a jet engine.  It would make conversation a bit tricky - would we have developed big flag shaped hands to communicate?  Who knows... not me.

Sorry - that was a bit serious, and probably 90% correct at time of writing from what I remember of what I read. :hmmm:

Gerald says "Hi" BTW.  He's a bit cold and wet on the patio at the moment. ⛈️

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Before coming to live in Lochgoilhead I was resident in the village of Rhu near Helensburgh. In the graveyard of the village church is the last resting place of Mr Henry Bell who started the first successful passenger steamboat service in Europe. His first ship the Comet was wrecked in strong currents near Oban and was replaced with the Comet II but, when the Comet II collided with another steamer near Gourock sinking with the loss of the lives of 62 of her 80 passengers he gave up pursuing steam shipping and fell into abject poverty being supported on charity for the rest of his life. He saw steam shipping and shipbuilding become an enormous part of the Clyde without profiting at all from his pioneering of it.

• Like 2

A famous Mississippi Steamboat called the Delta Queen and her sister ship the Delta King were built at Dumbarton Scotland (hulls, first two decks and steam engines) and then shipped in pieces to the USA. Funny to think that something so very 'American' was built in Scotland. I particularly get a kick out of this fact as I am a fan of the late John Hartford (he wrote the famous song 'Gentle on my Mind') who wrote a song called the Delta Queen Waltz and was a licenced River Boat captain.

• Like 6

The creation of the term 'white van man' is credited to radio & TV presenter Sarah Kennedy. She is also credited with the invention of the word 'Sainsbugs' for the name Sainsburys as well as other odd short namical changes which have become popular in use

• Like 3

Reno Nevada is farther west than Los Angeles California.

Lake Tahoe, on California's eastern border is farther west than Los Angeles, on California's western border (the Pacific Ocean).

Alaska is the northernmost, westernmost, and easternmost state is the USA.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Beardie said:

Here is a truly mind boggling and awesome fact from the universe at large!

In 2017 a star went supernova (SN2013fs) in a spiral galaxy within the Pegasus constellation. Before it went Supernova the star was shining at 10,000 times the brightness of our sun. The star was ten times the mass of our sun and was a mere,.....wait for it...….160 MILLION Light years away so the Supernova actually happened 160 million years ago!! Think about that distance for a minute. That distance is how far light will travel in 160 million years at a speed of 186 thousand miles per second!

If a similar star in our own galaxy went Supernova it would fry us instantly with pure light and we wouldn't even see it coming because the energy wave will be travelling at the speed of light in fact, for all we know, a star has already blown somewhere in our galactic neighbourhood and the blast is on it's way. 

A cheery thought to start the day, thanks Marty.

Any idea what the blast radius of SN2013fs would be?

• Haha 1