A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

Handel had his last rehearsal for the ‘Messiah’ in Parkgate, Wirral before sailing to Dublin for its premier there.

Lady Hamilton (Nelson’s mistress) was born a couple of miles up the coast in Ness.

Trevor

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The last recorded incidence of the Plague in England was in a cottage in my village.

The last recorded incidence of plague on the island of Ireland was . . . . September to December 2018! About 12 people in the Galway to Limerick area

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The Goodyear blimp is the official bird of Redondo beach California.

In Switzerland it is illegal to own only one guinea-pig.

Guinea pigs need social interaction to be happy and only keeping one guinea pig is considered to be animal abuse.

(There are even guinea pig matchmaking services.  www.kleintiere-schweiz.ch )

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

The Goodyear blimp is the official bird of Redondo beach California.

Indeed it is; city resolution 6252 in 1983. Even more bizarre, the blimp base is outside Redondo Beach, in nearby Carson.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

People who live in Kalamazoo have too much spare time on their hands.

Without looking it up...

...what is the accepted term for a resident of yon Kalamazoo? Kalamazoolian? Kalamazooite?

(Or perhaps the ever-popular "Hey, you!....")

Mon pere grew up there, so I've heard it all before....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The last recorded incidence of plague on the island of Ireland was . . . . September to December 2018! About 12 people in the Galway to Limerick area

75% of the worlds plague cases occur on Madagascar

It is said that the Barn Owl is the world’s most common owl, and is found on almost every continent...

But surely the Tea Towel is more common with several resident in almost everyone's own home...

• Haha 6

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Its in the Lyric’s @Gorby

14 hours ago, bhouse said:

No. Syd Barrett's mouse (Gerald) that was associated with his bike:

I'm not into the Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd, I prefer their later stuff. But I love 'I know where Syd Barrett lives', where the little mouse also gets a mention (that must be an odd fact!).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

.........But I love 'I know where Syd Barrett lives', where the little mouse also gets a mention (that must be an odd fact!).

Odd fact???? With this lot @Gorby ............REALLY?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The boss has a pet brick? the Goodyear blimp is a national bird? @Kiwidave4 thinks Colgate is protection from plague? @Black Knight has a van called Mildred, Frank @bentwaters81tfw well, I've given up with him! :tease: and you think the mention of a Mouse in song lyrics an odd fact??? 

• Haha 7