A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

On 11/13/2019 at 12:14 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

If oil came from decomposing forests, it would be vegetable based, and seeing it's mineral oil, it is generated in the rocks of the mantle. If it came from old cabbages, the wells would not be refilling from below.

I read an interesting book on the oil rig disaster in the gulf of Mexico, and the chap explained a lot of things relating to the mining industry rather well.

Of note was his comment that krill was the primary source of oil. So much avoids being eaten by whales, etc, that it litters the sea floor and becomes the primary ingredient.

True or not...? I'm not edumacated enough to know!

... returns to sticking bits of plastic together...:drink:

• Like 3

13 hours ago, hairystick said:

I read an interesting book on the oil rig disaster in the gulf of Mexico, and the chap explained a lot of things relating to the mining industry rather well.

Of note was his comment that krill was the primary source of oil. So much avoids being eaten by whales, etc, that it litters the sea floor and becomes the primary ingredient.

True or not...? I'm not edumacated enough to know!

... returns to sticking bits of plastic together...:drink:

That's basically what I've learned about petroleum, that it's animal life that has built upon the ocean floor and as plate tectonics moves the lighter continental crusts over the ocean crust and the ocean floor subsides underneath, it gets heated up and pressured up. It then flows to where ever it can get to, be it open voids in the rock, or into shale and sandy areas, like where I worked. Plant life that follows a similar process becomes coal.

Chris

• Like 3

Questions for those initiated in the arts of the 'black gold'.... Is it still being created or are conditions no longer conducive to the formation of oil, coal and gas? Does it require very specific conditions or is it a relatively simple process?

On 11/16/2019 at 8:40 PM, Beardie said:

Hi Dave, it's going the usual way, like one wheel has fallen off and the bearings on the rest are shot. If it was going great I would be worried 'cos I would know there was something seriously wrong! 😁

Testify.

• Haha 1

On 11/16/2019 at 11:53 PM, Ratch said:

Or do they swing both ways?

On 11/16/2019 at 11:05 PM, Tentacles said:

ketchup or brown sauce?

I am 66, soon to be 67 & it never occurred to me, until just now, that you could, if so inclined, have both simultaneously. I have never seen anybody do this, have any of you doubled up?

I have a grandson who has gravy on his fish & chips.

Edited by spaddad
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2019 at 1:33 AM, Beardie said:

No-one got any interesting facts to impart? Come on fellows you all must have an interesting tidbit or two to relate! All aspects of our world,  are welcomed.

See my previous post re my grandson, best I can do atm, theoretical physics is way above my pay grade.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Questions for those initiated in the arts of the 'black gold'.... Is it still being created or are conditions no longer conducive to the formation of oil, coal and gas? Does it require very specific conditions or is it a relatively simple process?

I would say that yes, the process is still happening. Some mountains are still eroding down into the sea, while others are still rising up out of the sea. Tectonic plates still slide over/under/against each other. Whether or not it will replace all that we have so far removed from the Earth, I don't know.

Chris

It just occurred to me that, with the world being obsessed with 'Carbon Capture' at the moment perhaps we  could do something to accelerate the formation of oil and coal therefore recreating the very way that all those fossil fuels captured the carbon, that we have been re-releasing into the atmosphere, in the first place. Say, for example if we could accelerate the growth of algae, plankton, krill etc. and bury the bodies, as it were, somewhere deep in the earth where they could brew up fresh oil in times to come.

Just need to find all the deep ocean subduction zones and drop it there. In a few millions of years, it may be close enough to the surface for the next intelligent species to evolve, after humans have died off, to be useful for them. Hopefully, they do a better job of it than we have.

Chris

• Like 1

Ah the future now that is another country. Who knows how long we have got, I did read somewhere that the planet is quite overdue for an extinction as, in the past, they have occurred with a regularity of something like every 30,000 years or something like that. I think the suggestion was that we will be entering a period where large asteroids start bombarding the sun resulting in huge solar flares that are going to fry us. 

I can see Stephen Hawking's simple logic when he said that, if the human race wanted to survive it has to spread itself around the universe as extinction (self inflicted or otherwise) is inevitable if the species only occupies planet Earth. Of course there is the question of whether the human race is worth saving or not.

• Like 4

I just hit 65 the other day, so my end is drawing near. Quicker than I might expect if I keep irritating the wife at night with my snoring and flatulence! 

That old woman's got a mean left!

Chris

• Haha 5

Isn't that the problem with humanity? We all expect instant answers. It took millions of years to create the oil and we expect someone to invent a way of making it instantly. We hear a lot of talk about sustainability but no-one comes up with credible solutions :whistle:

• Like 1

Ah @Ratch , I wasn't meaning 'instant oil' by any stretch. What I was meaning was, if oil, gas and coal are 'traditional' natural forms of carbon capture then, perhaps they might be the ideal modern carbon capture format i.e. if we could encourage the growth of the organisms which formed the fossil fuels naturally they will, once more, capture and lock away the carbon we have been filling the atmosphere with in their little corpses as they pass away. People talk about planting trees to capture the carbon but perhaps algae, plankton etc. are as important or more important ways of doing it.

• Like 2

In London, under section 54 of the Metropolitan Police Act 1839, it is a crime to walk home from B&Q, if you’ve just bought a ladder or a plank of wood but it’s OK to carry your shopping along the pavement – as long as you’re heading towards your car. Maximum fine? £500

• Like 3

Here is an interesting fact.... There are very few things in this old universe of ours that are even close to being a perfect sphere but one that is, is the electron. If I recall correctly, if you blew an electron up until it was a couple of feet in diameter, the variance in it's diameter would be less than the width of a human hair. 

Surprisingly this is a problem for physics as it was hoped that it would be found to be less than spherical which would have hinted at the existence of other exotic particles as predicted in the standard model of particle physics. 

• Like 4

Here are two interesting facts.

Crocodilians (crocs, alligators, Kamans, gharials etc.) first appeared on Earth 95 million years ago

They are the closest living relatives of birds.

Come on folks! All interesting facts are welcome. Anything you pick up in your daily life, hear on telly etc. that others might not know and which might add to the pile of interesting but otherwise useless facts in our tiny minds. 

• Like 3

Canada is the home of the OPEC of the maple syrup world, Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec (FPAQ), to promote, market and control the supply and price of maple syrup. FPAQ produces 94% of syrup in Canada and 77% of the world supply. They maintain an International Strategic Reserve of some 12,200 tonnes of syrup. A barrel is worth about $1,200, 10-18 times the price of a barrel of US crude oil.

Cheers,

Rich

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Beardie said:

Here are two interesting facts.

Crocodilians (crocs, alligators, Kamans, gharials etc.) first appeared on Earth 95 million years ago

They are the closest living relatives of birds.

Come on folks! All interesting facts are welcome. Anything you pick up in your daily life, hear on telly etc. that others might not know and which might add to the pile of interesting but otherwise useless facts in our tiny minds. 

And apparently crocodiles taste like chicken with a fishy taste to the meat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1