A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

On 09/08/2020 at 17:57, Tzulscha said:

When you Really REALLY need to stop those enemy tanks and all you have is a motor scooter...

Vespa_militare2.JPG

I hope its recoiless otherwise he'll going to loose a couple of items :hmmm:

• Haha 7

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

When I used to do product photographs for a local ice cream maker we used mashed potato to represent the ice cream on the photo stage

I've heard of that dodge.  I guess mashed potato's a bit more stable under lights.

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

When I used to do product photographs for a local ice cream maker we used mashed potato to represent the ice cream on the photo stage

My dogs would be quite happy with the studio prop or the real thing.  People, not so much with the studio prop; probably wouldn't recognize the ersatz ingredient as mashed potatoes.

Dog ice cream: Mix plain non-fat Greek yogurt, peanut butter, mashed bananas, and bacon. Divide into 2 ounce portions and freeze. Temper before serving to your oh-so-happy pup!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I've heard of that dodge.  I guess mashed potato's a bit more stable under lights.

It was an old dodge going way back to when big hot photo flood bulbs were used, but even in average to cool studio using cold flash a scoop of ice cream soon became a pool of warm cream

19 minutes ago, Beardie said:

I almost cracked a joke about that being an Irish favourite flavour but that might have been in bad taste or even tasted bad.

It used to be a standard April Fools Day joke; mashed spud or champ flavoured ice cream. This year our crisps company did a 'cheese n onion' flavoured cream egg for April 1st, available only over Easter

• Haha 3

Cobwebs are so called due to misandry (bias against males)

The male spider is called a cob and the female is a hen

It was at one time suggested that those shapeless and messy webs had to have been made by the cob and the more regular nice looking stereotypical webs had had to be made by the hens, ie a bloke can't make a nice web.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The City of New York contains 5 counties and 5 boroughs:

• New York County is coterminous with the Borough of Manhattan
  • Kings County is coterminous with the Borough of Brooklyn
  • Queens County is coterminous with the Borough of Queens
  • Richmond County is coterminous with the Borough of Staten Island
  • Bronx County is coterminous with the Borough of The Bronx (yes, the name is "The Bronx").

New York City has a Mayor. Each borough has a Borough President.

John F. Kennedy International Airport, JFK, is in Queens. That is, when you land at JFK, you are already within New York City.

• Like 1

If you die intestate (without a will) without traceable relatives in the historical boundaries of Lancashire, your estate can be claimed by the Duchy of Lancaster. The current Duke of Lancaster is Her Majesty the Queen.

Something similar happens in Cornwall where the Duke of Cornwall claims the proceeds. The current Duke is Prince Charles.

Trevor

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just been discovered that we have an organ in the human body (presumably you have to be human) that no body knew about.

OK guess which one.

No OK.

Salivary gland at the rear of the nose mouth area. Seems that this is important to protect when using medication on cancer patients.

Scientist have, since finding this gland, asked for us all to inspect our bodies to ensure that nothing else that has been missed. :yahoo:

Laurie

On 30/08/2020 at 20:50, Max Headroom said:

If you die intestate (without a will) without traceable relatives in the historical boundaries of Lancashire, your estate can be claimed by the Duchy of Lancaster. The current Duke of Lancaster is Her Majesty the Queen.

Something similar happens in Cornwall where the Duke of Cornwall claims the proceeds. The current Duke is Prince Charles.

Trevor

Also throughout Scotland. If a deceased has no one to inherit either through a will or on the operation of statute law on intestacy then in that event their estate falls to be the property of the Crown as Ultimus Haeres. In Scotland the Crown Officer that deals with it goes under the quaint title of The Queen’s And Lord’s Treasuer and Remembrancer. 

• Like 1

Left handed using just one hand right handed (ie normal) when using two hands

Ie playing cricket bat right handed bowl left handed. apparently this is the mixed up brain syndrome. 🤣

Laurie