A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

I am guessing that it is the Steering Wheel. I seem to recall that the earliest cars were steered using a tiller arrangement, I know that ships were steered with a wheel but I am unsure as to whether you could call the car steering wheel a development of that design or an entirely new invention.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Only one part of your car was invented after the car itself was invented

Can you name it?

Differential?

Synchromesh gearbox?

I'm guessing that road rage existed with horse and carts!!

Edited by Army_Air_Force

Well one that most definitely didn't exist back them was Satnav 😄 I do believe I have heard this question, and it's correct answer, before but I am darned if I can dig the memory out of the dark recesses of my grey matter.

• Like 1

Starter motor is an electric generator in reverse; they were in use from about 1820s

Alternator is an electric generator which switches polarity, in use from about 1850s

Differential, in use on horse and steam wagons from about 1780

Synchro gear box, from about 1810

Road Rage, cases noted in pre-CE Roman Empire

SatNav - possibly, but its not really a part of your car.

The big ceegar goes to NigelD

but please note; no smoking in the modelling room and smoking can be bad for you

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I think this may still be a fact.

Only one part of your car was invented after the car itself was invented

Can you name it?

Airbags

explosive airbags were actually in use in the 1500s. bags were used by divers trying to raise cannon from the Mary Rose which went down in 1546. Waxed leather bags were put under the cannon and gunpowder charges set off. The resultant gas filled the bags and almost raised the cannon. Not enough bags were used so the attempt failed.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have an odd fact to resurrect this thread with.

During WWII Melvyn Kaminsky (Mel Brooks to you) was a forward observer for artillery for a while.

As the army advanced into Germany he was set to defusing land mines.

melbrooksmines-1280x720.jpg

Everyone is aware of Nazi anti-Semitism, and Melvin was Jewish.

He often witnessed Jewish refugees fleeing from the Nazi death camps, and it obviously affected him.

During his time on the frontlines, he dealt with a different part of the Nazi war machine, however: propaganda.

The Nazis commonly blasted anti-Semitic propaganda over loudspeakers aimed towards the Combat Engineers.

One day Mel decided he had had enough and set up his own loudspeaker to blast the Nazis with music by Jewish musicians and his own Jewish propaganda.

the-last-laugh-1.jpg?resize=800,450

Edited by Tzulscha
  • Like 7

In 2015 the rules of succession of the UK monarchy were changed whereby the oldest child, irrespective of gender, always takes precedence over their sibling, rather than the previous position where all male children would automatically be above their older sister(s) in the line of succession.

If this rule change had occurred in the mid-late 19th century, Queen Victoria would have been succeeded on her death by her oldest child, her daughter also named Victoria. Victoria II’s reign would have been rather brief, as she passed away 8 months after her mother in August 1901.

Victoria II would have been succeeded by her eldest son Wilhelm - AKA Kaiser Wilhelm.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, -Ian- said:

Victoria II would have been succeeded by her eldest son Wilhelm - AKA Kaiser Wilhelm.

And the current Queen would be Friederike Thyra Marion Wilhelmine Dorothea von der Osten

• Like 3

Interesting thought, there would never have been a WWI, Hitler would never have had an axe to grind to cause WWII but we would probably all be part of a Greater German Empire.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gorby said:

Heathen!

@Gorby have you tried the (coors) muck that now comes out of Burton that purports it's beer / porter / ale? :repuke:

N.B. I make NO comment with regards to 'Carling' or the resurgence of 'Hooch'..............:repuke: :repuke:

Marstons (W&DB) reduced (under instruction) the ABV on all of theirs, so it only leaves Burton Bridge and they only supply their own pubs......when they can open.

• Sad 3

Our glorious leader has spoken. "He subsequently confirmed pubs, restaurants, hotels, cinemas and hairdressers can reopen from 4 July providing they are “COVID-secure”.

Most breweries got rid of lots of beer because it would run out of date. I imagine cask ales will be in short supply for a while, but mainstream stuff (& bottled) should be available.

I await an email to tell me when I'm back at work. Probably Monday. :beer:

Pete the Drayman

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Beardie said:

Interesting thought, there would never have been a WWI, Hitler would never have had an axe to grind to cause WWII but we would probably all be part of a Greater German Empire.

So we join the Common Market/EEC/EU around 1901 and leave around 1948 then. No WW1 or 2 
England does not win the final in 1966 against West Germany. 
:wicked:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Well, England, Scotland and Ireland would be West Germany 😄

About the only way our lot (Scotland) could get to a World Cup Final useless plonkers

• Haha 1