A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

Bats are great natural pest control,keeping insects away from crops,our homes and gardens.A single Soprano Pipistrelle bat can consume up to 3000 insects in one night.

Dave.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd revive this ol' thread.

…… On Venus it is believed that it snows flakes of Lead, Bismuth and other metals.

In an aside, Bismuth forms the most incredible and beautiful 'stairstep' crystals with an irrdescent surface produced by interference of light within the surface oxide layer.

• Like 3

Today is Feb 2, 2020. In US, EU, and ISO date formats, that's 02/02/2020--a palindrome. The last such palindromic date was Nov 11, 1111. The next such date will be 12/12/2121, followed by 03/03/3030. Today is also the 33rd day of the year with 333 days left.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Today is Feb 2, 2020. In US, EU, and ISO date formats, that's 02/02/2020--a palindrome. The last such palindromic date was Nov 11, 1111. The next such date will be 12/12/2121, followed by 03/03/3030. Today is also the 33rd day of the year with 333 days left.

I would suggest that a few minutes with pencil and paper will reveal many other palindromic dates within the period you cover.

3 hours ago, Ratch said:

12/02/2021 for a start.

My post included the order of month and day in the different date formats. Your date is either December 2 or February 12. That's is, while your date is a palindrome, it does not meet the format ordering criterion i cited on my post. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

My post included the order of month and day in the different date formats. Your date is either December 2 or February 12. That's is, while your date is a palindrome, it does not meet the format ordering criterion i cited on my post. 

I don't understand the backwards way of dates operated in the US - I'm British :mental:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I don't understand the backwards way of dates operated in the US - I'm British :mental:

Truth be told, I naturally write dates as year-month-day, e.g., 2020-02-02 which is the ISO format I cited in my post.

I do so because sorting routinely puts the dates into chronological order. Month-day-year scrambles years while day-month-year scrambles months and years. :)

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 7:12 AM, Gorby said:

It's well known that Hitler wanted to be an artist, but it's less well known that Mussolini wanted to be an author of romantic/bodice-ripping fiction.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AWIT114/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

Isn't that the book that Dorothy Parker reviewed with the words "This is not a book to be laid down lightly - it should be thrown with great force!"

I think £90.00 for the hardback is a bit steep for me, so I'll put my trust in Ms Parker and pass.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Isn't that the book that Dorothy Parker reviewed with the words "This is not a book to be laid down lightly - it should be thrown with great force!"

Sandi Toksvig has read it, and she said that she feels like he's left the world a little bit of torture.

• Haha 1

On 03/02/2020 at 23:52, dnl42 said:

Truth be told, I naturally write dates as year-month-day, e.g., 2020-02-02 which is the ISO format I cited in my post.

I do so because sorting routinely puts the dates into chronological order. Month-day-year scrambles years while day-month-year scrambles months and years.

For a number of years I was the international sales contact for a large US metal company & handled orders from the rest of the world (i.e. anywhere except USA, Canada & Mexico) and had to translate English english, European english  & Internatonal english to American english (via Yorkshire english) dates were a perenial problem - is 02/03 the 2nd March or 3rd Feb so now always name the month. When naming files including date to indicate the version the date is always included as yyyymmdd as it is the ony method that sorts correctly.

Did the job for so long I used to find myself looking @ prices on supermarket shelves & going $2.95 that's expensive.

• Like 4

An article in yesterdays Daily Express:

A FUNGI which spawned inside the fated Chernobyl nuclear disaster could be used to protect humans from deadly radiation, researchers have found.

The fungi was discovered in 1991, five years after the disaster, and experts have now discovered that it feeds on radiation, leaving them stunned.
 The fungi, named Cryptococcus neoformans fungi, contains large amounts of melanin – a pigment found in skin which turns it dark.
The copious melanin levels absorb the harmful radiation, turning it into chemical energy, in the same way plants convert carbon dioxide and chlorophyll into oxygen and glucose via photosynthesis. It is a process known as radiosynthesis and scientists believe it could be used to benefit humans.

Scientists from NASA believe they may be able to extract the power of radiosynthesis from the fungi and use it to create a Sun cream which protects against the Sun’s rays.

Another possible use for the fungi strand would be to store energy, with experts believing it could be a biological alternative to solar panels.

Kasthuri Venkateswaran, the lead scientist, also believes it could benefit cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy and protect engineers in nuclear power plants.
To this day, a 19-mile exclusion zone remains in place, with authorities estimating the area will not be officially safe for human inhabitation for hundreds of years due to the huge amounts of radioactivity being released. The area in Ukraine is still a no-go zone due to the vast amount of radiation still present.

A UN study has predicted the eventual death toll caused by cancers related to the blast and other illnesses will reach 4,000.

The nuclear accident even affected the ecosystem and food chain, with domestically-sourced wild boar meat causing concern due to the now-radioactive mushrooms the animals eat.

• Like 5

On 2/3/2020 at 3:39 PM, Ratch said:

Presumably it is quite normal in The Colonies to be asked "what's the date today?" and get told "February" instead of the actual date.

Strange people... Thankfully they do not use the English Language.

• Haha 5