A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

Sleep,what is that,I turn 70 next month,and have not slept well for years,it's a pain or a toilet trip at night that never lets me get more than 5 or 6 hours,(if I was asleep I would not be here at 2am typing this)and trying to think of one thing to drop off to sleep is hard as I usually forget what it was I was thinking about and then I have to start all over again thinking about something else,Now what was I thinking about "OH Yes sleep"

Cheers Jim.

P.S. I just remember what I was thinking about when I was trying to go to sleep.The saying is when your young you can do it all night but when your old it takes you all night to do it,I did not know they were talking about sleep !! ;)

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 1/8/2020 at 3:27 AM, Bullbasket said:

Now here's a fact that really pi makes me angry. Why is it that you can sit in front of the TV at night and start to watch a program that you've been looking forward to seeing, only to fall asleep half way through. Really, really struggle to keep your eyes open. And yet, when you go to bed ten minutes later, you spend the next two hours trying in vain to fall asleep. Happens every time. I reckon that it's because some of Marty's alien friends shine blue lights through the window.👽

John.

John have you ever tried counting sheep,OOPS or the sound of tapping feet in the ceiling .

spacer.png

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Jim Wasley said:

John have you ever tried counting sheep,OOPS or the sound of tapping feet in the ceiling .

'Morning Jim.

Mice are the least of our worries. We think that there's a stone marten taken up residence. It sound s like the WWE are holding a meeting on our ceiling!

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Only one airline has ever built its own aircraft.

Go on I will bite, which one? You have me hooked. 

I am trying to research my family at present and Mrs T also wanted to me to look at her dads family as her father came from El Salvador where his father had gone to manage coffee plantations. Mrs T family legend has said that one of her relatives was president of El Salvador and as a result of some more digging by my daughter who has a history degree, Mrs T great uncle (brother of her grand mother) was indeed president between 1890 and 1894, about the average length of term for a president at that time. He had to flee the country after he was ousted in a coup, although his sister stayed, presumably protected by being married to a Brit at the time when a threat would have prompted a courtesy call from the RN. Amazing story and quite sad when her dad came to school in this country on his own at the age of eight in 1918 (He married very late in life which a story on its own). 

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I am trying to research my family at present and Mrs T also wanted to me to look at her dads family as her father came from El Salvador where his father had gone to manage coffee plantations. Mrs T family legend has said that one of her relatives was president of El Salvador and as a result of some more digging by my daughter who has a history degree, Mrs T great uncle (brother of her grand mother) was indeed president between 1890 and 1894, about the average length of term for a president at that time. He had to flee the country after he was ousted in a coup, although his sister stayed, presumably protected by being married to a Brit at the time when a threat would have prompted a courtesy call from the RN. Amazing story and quite sad when her dad came to school in this country on his own at the age of eight in 1918 (He married very late in life which a story on its own). 

Yes Family Trees can be very interesting,yours sounds a beauty.

Jim

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

@JosephLalor They aren't really airlines in the conventional sense, whereas this de Havilland operator certainly was.

Aircraft Transport and Travel were a subsidiary of Airco, later known as De Havilland.  I'm at a loss if that's not it!

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

Hmm... you may have quoted a bona fide  pretty much correct answer in addition to the one I was thinking of!

However, from my brief research, it is the aircraft company spinning off an airline, rather than an airline building its own aircraft.

Very good. DM must be a local (:->)

Qantas assembled DH.50 aircraft at Longreach, Qld. They built either 6.7 or 10 depending on which source you read.

(I have been unable to substantiate the contention that West Australian Airlines - which later became part of ANA - also assembled some DH.50s.)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

Very good. DM must be a local (:->)

Qantas assembled DH.50 aircraft at Longreach, Qld. They built either 6.7 or 10 depending on which source you read.

What does 6.7 of a DH.50 look like?

:coat:

Trevor

• Haha 3

Last year 2019,  Australia recorded it's lowest rainfall average since records began. Australia received on average 277mm of rain. It was also the hottest year on record for here down under !

Edited by Mick4350
  • Sad 1