A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

19 minutes ago, bhouse said:

But the trouble is that the web also gives access to all the world's stupidity...

As we know, empty vessels make more noise and therefore get the most attention.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

As we know, empty vessels make more noise and therefore get the most attention.

in the movie quote " Excuse me Sir ! Can you direct us to the naval base in Alemeda ? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels.

*Nuclear Wessels*

• Haha 3

as @VMA131Marine says about my last entry, there is more to the speed of light and relativity which leads me to add a little more. As he stated, the faster you go the slower time moves for you, well, this is actually rather elegant. The total of your physical speed and the amount by which your personal time slows down add together to equal the speed of light, so if you actually reached the speed of light, impossible in reality as the energy needed to propel the mass of one single human to the speed of light would be absolutely ginormous,  your personal time would come to a dead stop. 

I recommend that folks with a taste for mindwarping have a read at 'The Fabric of the Cosmos' by Brian Greene (available for a very few pennies from many of the second hand charity book dealers online), recommended on here by @LostCosmonauts and proving to be a very interesting read.

• Like 2

@Beardie - glad you're enjoying that. Must get hold of a copy and add it to the pile

(Almost) Everyone knows that most of the stuff we perceive as matter contains a lot of empty space. It isn't widely appreciated just how much empty space it is we're talking about.

Diameter of a Hydrogen atom: roughly 5 x 10^-11m 

Hydrogen atom = 1 proton, 1 electron

Diameter of a proton =  ~ 1 x10^-15m

Diameter of an electron = unknown, thought to be effectively a point charge of effectively zero volume

So... a hydrogen atom is only 1/1000,000,000,000 part matter and 999,999,999,999/1000,000,000,000 parts emptiness

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beardie said:

as @VMA131Marine says about my last entry, there is more to the speed of light and relativity which leads me to add a little more. As he stated, the faster you go the slower time moves for you, well, this is actually rather elegant. The total of your physical speed and the amount by which your personal time slows down add together to equal the speed of light, so if you actually reached the speed of light, impossible in reality as the energy needed to propel the mass of one single human to the speed of light would be absolutely ginormous,  your personal time would come to a dead stop. 

I recommend that folks with a taste for mindwarping have a read at 'The Fabric of the Cosmos' by Brian Greene (available for a very few pennies from many of the second hand charity book dealers online), recommended on here by @LostCosmonauts and proving to be a very interesting read.

Its worse that that, the faster you go the greater is your mass and therefore the amount of energy required to accelerate you increases exponentially as you get close to the speed of light. It will take infinite energy to accelerate you TO the speed of light unless you have no mass, just like a photon has no mass.

As to what happens to your headlights as your car gets closer to the speed of light, the light will travel out at the normal speed of light, however because of Doppler shift (the same effect that causes a siren to change pitch upwards as it comes towards you and then go down again as it goes away), the light will be red-shifted for objects you are moving away from and blue-shifted for those you are approaching. Its how Astrophysicists can measure the speed of stars and galaxies far away.

All clear? There will be a test later... ;)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Your length also shrinks, and your mass increases.

Not just when travelling at the speed of light. Have done the practical experiments while at university as a student I can confirm the findings are identical after several pints of Newcastle Brown Ale

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, Mick4350 said:

in the movie quote " Excuse me Sir ! Can you direct us to the naval base in Alemeda ? It's where they keep the nuclear wessels.

*Nuclear Wessels*

Didn't he play test cricket for Australia and South Africa?

Oh sorry, that was Keppler Wessels.

Not to be confused with Johannes Kepler, who leads us neatly back to things cosmological. Your ball, @Beardie 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/29/2019 at 11:31 PM, Gorby said:

And apparently their numbers are growing as FaceTube and the like, spreading the stupidity pandemic.

Sadly, much like the measles epidemic which is underway right now in Samoa.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/117825133/samoa-measles-outbreak-death-toll-rises-to-44-and-is-expected-to-climb-further

Over 40 people dead and yet there was one idiot who pretended to be a doctor, was "treating" this deadly disease by using water...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/south-pacific/117837939/samoa-measles-outbreak-alternative-healers-threatens-reporters-as-epidemic-worsens

The "anti-vaccination" idiots are a level of danger well above "flat-earth" retards.

In supposedly educated times, it is staggering how many people are still out there, believing lies.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

Not just when travelling at the speed of light. Have done the practical experiments while at university as a student I can confirm the findings are identical after several pints of Newcastle Brown Ale

Ahhh Newcastle Brownian Motion

• Haha 8

19 hours ago, Beardie said:

I thought it was my rear lights that made everything look red in my rear view mirror and it turns out I have been going too close to the speed of light! 😁

Too fast for the speed cameras then, Beardie?

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, JohnT said:

......................Have done the practical experiments while at university as a student I can confirm the findings are identical after several pints of Newcastle Brown Ale

Just be grateful, at least then it was brewed in Newcastle..............not any more................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not an 'interesting fact' here but I would like folks opinions on the whole 'Time Travel to the Past' idea that was mentioned previously. Personally I feel it in my bones that it isn't and nor ever will be, possible and one of my core reasons for believing this is simply that, in this superbly elegant and incredibly, finely balanced universe, time travel (other than slowing up one's personal clock in the forward direction by travelling at speed and in a low gravity environment) is simply too messy to be allowed by natures laws. If folks were zipping back and forward the universe would become 'fuzzy' with way too much potential uncertainty and the whole shebang would collapse in a mess. Besides that it strikes me that, if, no matter how fast you travel, even if that travel is sideways through some form of wormhole, Einstein Rosen bridge or other manner, the speed of light will still beat you to the punchline and so, while the light from a distant galaxy may take a phenomenal time to reach us, when you reach that distant galaxy you will land there in the 'now' rather than the 'then'. I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Not an 'interesting fact' here but I would like folks opinions on the whole 'Time Travel to the Past' idea that was mentioned previously. Personally I feel it in my bones that it isn't and nor ever will be, possible and one of my core reasons for believing this is simply that, in this superbly elegant and incredibly, finely balanced universe, time travel (other than slowing up one's personal clock in the forward direction by travelling at speed and in a low gravity environment) is simply too messy to be allowed by natures laws. If folks were zipping back and forward the universe would become 'fuzzy' with way too much potential uncertainty and the whole shebang would collapse in a mess. Besides that it strikes me that, if, no matter how fast you travel, even if that travel is sideways through some form of wormhole, Einstein Rosen bridge or other manner, the speed of light will still beat you to the punchline and so, while the light from a distant galaxy may take a phenomenal time to reach us, when you reach that distant galaxy you will land there in the 'now' rather than the 'then'. I'm interested to hear others thoughts on this.

I agree with you, Beardie. From the moment our universe started, as we know and understand it, it's been flowing in one direction in time, from high, hot to low, cold. Ain't no goin' back!

Chris

• Like 1

@Beardie you might enjoy https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077QX7XPH/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 about the philosophy and science of time (and how that fuzziness is key to our perception of time passing)

Another interesting fact from the “Cautionary Tales” podcast on the R100 & R101 airship competition - it took the intestines of 1 million cows to make the gas bags for the R100 🐄   

• Like 2

Someone (Asimov?) once said that if time travel was possible they would already be here. But then, how would we know?

On a dumber level, amongst the ingredients etc, on the side of my can of supermarket shaving foam are the words, NOT FOR EMERGENCY USE.

Now, is this the supermarket being cautious? or, did someone have a fire, think, hey foam! and they then complained when it didn't extinguish said fire?

Oh, and apparently the apostrophe society has been wound up as it was proving to be an uphill battle trying to educate people.

• Haha 5

It’s a common (local) myth that you are allowed to shoot at Welsh people within the walls of Chester during the hours of darkness.

Whether or not it was ever true, it isn’t now!

Talking of Wales and Chester, Chester City F.C.’s stadium is about ten yards inside Wales.

Trevor

• Like 1

No thoughts on time travel?

Well here is another fascinating fact for y'all- 

I think most people now accept that, as Einstein found, nothing can move through space faster than the speed of light and, with observations we have seen that everything in the universe is speeding away from us and, the farther away they are, the faster they are moving and we are talking millions of miles per hour. Some of those most distant galaxies may actually be exceeding the speed of light (671 million miles per hour), hold on! What?! How is that possible? Well the answer is very simple - Nothing can move THROUGH space faster than the speed of light but, when it comes to the galaxies etc. they aren't actually moving THROUGH space but rather, space is STRETCHING around them and that doesn't violate Relativity. It's a beautiful piece of cosmic magic!

The more you look the more you realise that this universe is a most incredible construct with so much wonderful variety and beauty and, well, put simply, magic and yet it is all created as far as we know from nothing but raw energy and it's interaction with an, as yet, indefinable Spacetime fabric 

• Like 3

If I were moving through space in some kind of spaceship, at 2/3 light speed and you were in another ship doing the same speed in the opposite direction, are we moving faster than light, relative to each other?

Chris

• Like 1

Well yes we would be opening up a gap at a speed of approximately 893 million miles per hour so 33% more than the speed of light but, as far as the Universe is concerned, and this is the key point, it doesn't matter how fast objects are moving away from each other but only how fast each individual object is moving relative to the universe. Of course there is a further question hidden here and that is... If we are travelling in opposite directions in intergalactic space we would also have to consider the expansion of that space which gives rise to the speed at which galaxies are moving apart so, say, for example, we are trying to cross an expanse of space that is expanding at 2/3rds the speed of light and I am travelling from the centre in one direction and you are travelling in the other direction will we ever reach the end of our journey? That is where the real headaches start 😁

• Like 1

The answer to my last question by the way is, and I am a little shaky here but I think I have a grip on it, yes, we will. The speed of expansion is relative to the distance so, if I am halfway across a gap that is expanding at 2/3rds of the speed of light then the speed of expansion between me and my destination is actually more like 1/3rd of the speed of light so I am going fast enough that I won't appear to be standing still.