A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

15 minutes ago, spaddad said:

(& now possibly mine)

After you, old chap.

(Apparently I have, once again, despite being a completely obsessed member, run out of likes. tsk!)

Ooh, maybe they're cuttting off my coms before they come for me. If I don't re-post in the next hour, please, oh hang on, there's the door bell......

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

After you, old chap.

(Apparently I have, once again, despite being a completely obsessed member, run out of likes. tsk!)

Ooh, maybe they're cuttting off my coms before they come for me. If I don't re-post in the next hour, please, oh hang on, there's the door bell......

Removed for sensitivity

Edited by bentwaters81tfw

Oops, what have I started. Mea Culpa.  Don't worry, mate, I'll pay the bail to get you off the naughty step.

The good news is, my 'likes' have been re-instated. Perhaps it's a new day starting at 17:00. West Coast USA?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

If the animals that the vegans want to kill off produce noxious gases due to their diet, surely the vegans produce the same gases? Can we kill them off instead?

2 hours ago, spaddad said:

OOOH nail him up, nail him up, going against the hipsters & trendies, stonings too good for him!

I think we are fairly safe on this site but I'm still standing by for someone to be truly outraged & really asking for your termination (& now possibly mine)

Come on - you two are better than that!

I certainly won't complain about your posts but I do find it very depressing reading badly-considered posts that threaten violence against an individual or group because of their beliefs.

Brian - vegetarian of many years...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bhouse said:

Come on - you two are better than that!

I certainly won't complain about your posts but I do find it very depressing reading badly-considered posts that threaten violence against an individual or group because of their beliefs.

Brian - vegetarian of many years...

You get irony right?. You really think Pete in Lincs & myself are serious?

• Like 2

AP19009780109319.jpg?w=529

Around lunchtime on the afternoon of January 15, 1919, a giant tank of molasses burst open in Boston’s North End.

More than two million gallons of thick liquid poured out like a tsunami wave, reaching speeds of up to 35 miles per hour.

The molasses flooded streets, crushed buildings and trapped horses in an event that ultimately killed 21 people and injured 150 more.

he smell of molasses lingered for decades.

molasses-flood-gettyimages-631625454.jpg

1015956_1_1129-molasses-flood_standard.j

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Tzulscha said:

AP19009780109319.jpg?w=529

Around lunchtime on the afternoon of January 15, 1919, a giant tank of molasses burst open in Boston’s North End.

More than two million gallons of thick liquid poured out like a tsunami wave, reaching speeds of up to 35 miles per hour.

The molasses flooded streets, crushed buildings and trapped horses in an event that ultimately killed 21 people and injured 150 more.

he smell of molasses lingered for decades.

molasses-flood-gettyimages-631625454.jpg

1015956_1_1129-molasses-flood_standard.j

That's impressive, & no radiation

Edited by spaddad
  • Haha 1

Thats Boston what had the big Tea Party and not Boston in Lincs?

On another note; my paternal grandfather took part in the big US Army veteran's march to Washington D.C in 1932 and 1933.  He walked, with others, from Chicago to Washington.

Don't believe Wiki. 

He said both the police and army refused to act on the marchers as there were so many US military veterans in those forces. There were only a few small incidents.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2019 at 5:41 PM, Rich B said:

Canada is the home of the OPEC of the maple syrup world, Fédération des producteurs acéricoles du Québec (FPAQ), to promote, market and control the supply and price of maple syrup. FPAQ produces 94% of syrup in Canada and 77% of the world supply. A barrel is worth about $1,200, 10-18 times the price of a barrel of US crude oil.

Ahh, but how many million barrels can they produce each day?

:D

• Like 1

On 11/23/2019 at 12:01 AM, Beardie said:

Ah @NigelC I think you might be meaning the Photon rather than the electron. Photons are massless which is why they can travel at the speed of light and are considered/thought to be, quantum 'packets' of energy that exhibit the characteristics of both particles and waves. (Don't me sound brainy!😜)

I realise things have moved on a bit in the discussion*, but I was thinking of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment

Which I saw performed using a cathode ray (electron) tube in a physics class in 1980-mumble. 🙂

*Or have they merely returned via a loop in Space-Time?

@NigelC Hmm…. You are perfectly correct and I am incorrect. I was thinking of the very same double-slit experiment but using photons. Of course I should know that, according to quantum mechanics, all atomic particles exhibit wave properties but, when measured show the properties of particles so there is no conflict between an electron being a perfectly round particle and yet behaving like a wave in the double slit experiment. I should check my facts more before pretending I know stuff! 😳 My apologies sir.

• Like 1

There are documents that show that if the invasion of Britain had gone to plan during WWII, Hitler would have used Apley Hall, near Bridgenorth in Shropshire as his personal residence.

1920px-Apley_Hall_restoration_2001.jpg

That was the estate that my great granddad was the head gardener and my where my mum was evacuated to.

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

All Polar Bears are left-handed....

This is from The Guardian - so it must be true...

"Apparently all polar bears are left handed. They sneak up on prey by covering their nose with their right paw (their nose being black and therefore showing up against the snowy white background), then club it mercilessly with their left paw."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

The Vatican City is the country that drinks the most wine per capita at 74 litres per person per year...

or roughly three rum rations per day...

Edited by Mick4350
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

A raisin dropped into a glass of fresh Champagne will bounce up and down continuously from the bottom of the glass to the top...

The Vatican City is the country that drinks the most wine per capita at 74 litres per person per year...

So... The question is - how do I get a job at the Vatican???

• Like 2
  • Haha 1