A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

49 minutes ago, Kiwidave4 said:

I recall many decades ago someone much more clever than I suggested that aliens would never visit Earth. The logic was somewhat along the lines that in order to get here they would

have to be cleverer than us, and anybody cleverer than us would already know what we were like, and therefore have no desire to come here.

I believe that the Inter-Galactic Union has actually declared Earth to be a No-Go Zone, due to terminal stupidity on the part of the occupants.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Beardie said:

One of the biggest supernova's ever witnessed in the universe is believed to have produced more Gold than the entire mass of the Earth.

That's going to depress the price on the commodities market.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Kiwidave4 said:

I recall many decades ago someone much more clever than I suggested that aliens would never visit Earth. The logic was somewhat along the lines that in order to get here they would

have to be cleverer than us, and anybody cleverer than us would already know what we were like, and therefore have no desire to come here.

Why would any alien cleverer than us not visit us to find out if they were. They could not know until they visited us could they 

When the Martians land in Hudderfield,

I'll tell you what we'll do,

We'll grab the little green buggers

And show 'em a thing or two.

Do they think they can come here, pinchin'

Our women and our jobs?

We'll make 'em work on the buses

With the rest of the bloomin' Frogs.

That's what we'll do, that's what we'll do.

(Song by Mike Harding)

IanJ

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joel Abery said:

Why would any alien cleverer than us not visit us to find out if they were. They could not know until they visited us could they 

We should remember that radio and television broadcasts go out into space to travel, presumably, forever.  Therefore it is only logical to assume that aliens have seen The Only Way is Essex and Made in Chelsea.  They know exactly how stupid we are!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 593jones said:

We should remember that radio and television broadcasts go out into space to travel, presumably, forever.  Therefore it is only logical to assume that aliens have seen The Only Way is Essex and Made in Chelsea.  They know exactly how stupid we are!

Is that because we don't understand their broadcasts? Maybe they don't have a clue what our broadcasts are about 🤔

I think radio signals lose their power & become unintelligibly garbled pretty quickly (in galactic terms). 

Assuming they were intelligently garbled in the first place, which rules out most TV I suppose. 

Despite that, now so much internet is carried on wifi & similar tech, I love the idea that aliens might one day be surfing our forums.

~~wavy lines, twilight zone music~~

The year is 28019.

It is a scary future world. There is still no really accurate kit of a Merlin P40. Bottles of Future are changing hands for an average 65,435,456 bitcoin. The chemical wind howls and moans through the ruins of our civilisation....

Meanwhile, a new post suddenly appears on a dead thread, called "Airfix Predictions 2184":

"Felicitations! New poster here, Greetings intelligent beings of Earth. And Britmodeller members! I am a sentient sea-slug from the Alpha Centauri system. I have no hands, so typing this was a real nightmare, and took several of your earth years. However, I do my modelling telekinetically, using only the power of my mind, And TET. My eyes only perceive  ultra-violet light, and so I have a question about RLM colours..."

~~wavy lines, twilight zone music~~

It's getting late, maybe I should go to bed.

• Haha 10

The thing is, if aliens are advanced enough to reach us, they probably don't need to build models as they will just load the full size plans into a 3D printer that will produce a 1/72 scale Spitfire accurate right down to the last nut and bolt and it will include a tiny pilot that can be programmed to be the ace of your choice and it will even be made from the exact materials of the original.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Beardie said:

The thing is, if aliens are advanced enough to reach us, they probably don't need to build models as they will just load the full size plans into a 3D printer that will produce a 1/72 scale Spitfire accurate right down to the last nut and bolt and it will include a tiny pilot that can be programmed to be the ace of your choice and it will even be made from the exact materials of the original.

And the Hasegawa ones will still be six times the price of everybody else.

• Haha 3

On 10/22/2019 at 10:34 PM, Tentacles said:

The year is 28019...

Meanwhile, a new post suddenly appears on a dead thread, called "Airfix Predictions 2184":

"Felicitations! New poster here,

Any news on the new tool 1/72 Metal Wing Hurricane?

• Haha 2

Here's an interesting fact,  If you take the year you were born and add it to your age it will add up to 2019 😀

Believe it or not I have seen this one going around and folks actually think it's some kind of special number trick when, of course, no matter what year it is, if you add your age to the year you were born it will add up to the current year. If it didn't then there would be something very wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

22 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Here's an interesting fact,  If you take the year you were born and add it to your age it will add up to 2019 😀

Believe it or not I have seen this one going around and folks actually think it's some kind of special number trick when, of course, no matter what year it is, if you add your age to the year you were born it will add up to the current year. If it didn't then there would be something very wrong. 

I am no mathematician, but that does not seem right. For the first year of your life you are 0, and then you become 1 for the second year of your life, and 2 for the third, and so on.

In my case I was born in December 1945, which means I am currently 73 which using your formula makes this 2018.

In December I will have yet another Birthday, at which point your formula will apply for just a few days until 2020 arrives!

9 hours ago, Beardie said:

If you take the year you were born and add it to your age it will add up to 2019 😀

With my memory I've been doing this in reverse for years to remind me how old I am.

How am I supposed to remember it, it changes every year!

• Like 1

Here is another interesting and odd fact that I only just discovered. In the wee Scottish town that I started this thread with it turns out that, back in 50's and 60's there was a family who owned the local record shop who had a son called Colin Hay. The family emigrated to Australia when Colin Hay was 14 and he went on to become lead singer of a wee Australian band called Men at Work. So the man who sang about coming from 'the Land down under' actually came from Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland 😁

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Here is another interesting and odd fact that I only just discovered. In the wee Scottish town that I started this thread with it turns out that, back in 50's and 60's there was a family who owned the local record shop who had a son called Colin Hay. The family emigrated to Australia when Colin Hay was 14 and he went on to become lead singer of a wee Australian band called Men at Work. So the man who sang about coming from 'the Land down under' actually came from Saltcoats, Ayrshire, Scotland 😁

That's a really interesting odd fact, thank you.

• Like 1