A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

22 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Do you realise that we're now 20 years after Space 1999 and we still don't have Eagle Transporters....

Because they kept trashing the them

Trevor

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Old one but the six degrees of separation is true. I'm connected to Hitler. Simply, a work colleague was a Lancashire man, really nice guy, (he got a lot of grief from our Yorkshire colleague). Anyway his Mother was a Sudetenland German. She saw Hitler when he annexed Czechoslovakia. She saw Hitler in his Mercedes when he passed by. 

Anyway thanks to a minor career as an extra in various movies. I'm also connected to various movie stars and US presidents. 

Also the Queen, via Prince Charles. Who much to their disgust of my boys visited a rival school here in Galway. 

It's a small world really. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, noelh said:

Old one but the six degrees of separation is true. I'm connected to Hitler. Simply, a work colleague was a Lancashire man, really nice guy, (he got a lot of grief from our Yorkshire colleague). Anyway his Mother was a Sudetenland German. She saw Hitler when he annexed Czechoslovakia. She saw Hitler in his Mercedes when he passed by. 

Anyway thanks to a minor career as an extra in various movies. I'm also connected to various movie stars and US presidents. 

Also the Queen, via Prince Charles. Who much to their disgust of my boys visited a rival school here in Galway. 

I’ve met someone who got a gong from the Queen. That means that I’m three away from the Dalia Llama and Nicolaie Ceausescu.

Trevor

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I’ve met someone who got a gong from the Queen. That means that I’m three away from the Dalia Llama and Nicolaie Ceausescu.

Trevor

Absolutely. Mad isn't it? 

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, noelh said:

Hey that puts me five steps away from you.

I shook hands with a german tank commander who once shook hands with ol' Adolph himself.

My mother went to college with 'Vinegar Joe' Stilwells daughter so that makes me four steps from Chiang-Kai-Shek.

It's all related...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Hey that puts me five steps away from you.

I shook hands with a german tank commander who once shook hands with ol' Adolph himself.

My mother went to college with 'Vinegar Joe' Stilwells daughter so that makes me four steps from Chiang-Kai-Shek.

It's all related...

Amazing really. 

When my Dad was in the RCN during WW2, his ship was visited by Prince Phillip and he spoke to Dad about Dad's nice beard. Wow! that's only 2 degrees from the Royal Family.

48925376323_c236864ccb_o.jpg

Chris

• Like 2

A few years ago, whilst bored at work, I did a band "family tree". One of my old bands is connected to many of my favourites, sometimes by a surprisingly short number of steps. Whilst I'm quite proud of the few degrees of separation between me and the likes of The Chameleons, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Cocteau Twins and The Cure, I'm not so sure about Swing Out Sister!

• Haha 1

Well I have a particularly peculiar one. I am distantly related to one president of the United States on both the maternal and paternal lines as he is distantly related to my father on his mother's side and a lady on my mother's side (my great, great, great, great grandfather's sister) married into his family on his father's side.

On my father's side I am also descended from Neill of The Nine Hostages (king of Tara, Ireland), apparently my Islay family (MacNeill) have been proved to be linked genetically to this dynasty which backs up the claimed origin of the clan name. On my mother's side I am part Ulster Scots which I had absolutely no idea of, my mother's father's family had lived in Donegal from the 1600's after settling from Ayrshire but decided to leave Ireland for good in the latter half of the 1800's.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, noelh said:

Old one but the six degrees of separation is true. I'm connected to Hitler.

I've not thought about it like that before.

That puts me four steps away from Hitler. My dad worked with a bloke who chucked a brick at Mosley during the battle of Cable Street.

• Haha 8

Well Beardie, apparently you're in good company as millions of people are apparently related to Niall of the nine hostages. He had a lot of sons. Assuming he even existed. But whoever it was that donated that Y chromesone he certainly left a legacy. 

• Like 1

On 16/10/2019 at 23:45, Beardie said:

The Heat Death is only one of the options. Another is that the Universe will reach a point where it starts to slow down and then go into reverse. It has even been hypothesised that, not only will the universe will start to shrink and accelerate back towards the primeval atom but also that time itself will go in reverse. 

No point in building the stash then. At least though we could build them and then sell them on after they disassemble and go back onto the sprues in their shrink wrapped boxes

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Yuk!! Fancy having to go through motions....backwards or forwards.:poop:

Yes there was a episode of Red Dwarf where they ended up in a universe that was reversing. The Cat needed to attend to a call of nature. 💩

It didn't end well. 

• Haha 5

On 10/19/2019 at 3:59 AM, Tzulscha said:

This is certainly true but on the other hand we DO still have a moon.

You know they never talked about what happened to the Earth after we managed to blow the moon out of orbit...

It was knackered.

OK here's another little factoid from Astro physics...… Every bit of iron in the universe is the result of dying stars! Iron is the heaviest element that can be created by fusion in a star and, by the time the star is fusing Iron it has pretty much run out of fuel and is about to collapse in on itself and go super nova. All the heavier elements are believed to be created within supernovas. Now for a really shiny one... One of the biggest supernova's ever witnessed in the universe is believed to have produced more Gold than the entire mass of the Earth.

I have heard many people theorise that Aliens have visited our planet in search of water or gold or even because we have nuclear weapons. In a universe where gold can be found in trillions of tons after supernovae have popped, water in one form or another is virtually everywhere and quasars can fire out a trillion, trillion times the power of our biggest nuclear weapons in a second all those theories are just ridiculous. 

The only reason aliens would have for visiting Earth is sheer curiosity or for a good laugh at the primitive residents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

The only reason aliens would have for visiting Earth is sheer curiosity or for a good laugh at the primitive residents.

I recall many decades ago someone much more clever than I suggested that aliens would never visit Earth. The logic was somewhat along the lines that in order to get here they would

have to be cleverer than us, and anybody cleverer than us would already know what we were like, and therefore have no desire to come here.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1