A strange world full of odd facts

Beardie

@spaddad Afraid I can't tell you the blast radius for the supernova but I think it would probably be a good few light years. 

Here is another 'cheery' one though. Magnetars, I think there are around 23 active ones of those in the Milky Way and they can fire out devastating Gamma Ray bursts. The last one that blasted the Earth was quite distant at 50,000 light years away and affected the Earth's atmosphere, knocking out a few satellites and ripping a chunk of our atmosphere off in 2004. The closest magnetar found so far is a mere 9,000 light years away.

The most distant and brightest object in the known universe is a Quasar that is an incredible 13.1 BILLION light years away and weighs something like 800 million times the weight of our Sun.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Beardie said:

Before coming to live in Lochgoilhead...

I have 2 customers in Lochgoilhead - it's a long way to send a van from Manchester - but hey ho every penny counts...

The M62 has the honour of being the highest motorway in the UK - at 1,221 feet (372 metres), the section of the motorway at Junction 22 is the highest point of the UK's motorway network. The section is located at Windy Hill close to Saddleworth Moor.

220px-M62_Summit_sign_29_July_2017.jpg

It is also home to the 'the little house on the prairie' - which is a small farm that nestles in the middle of the motorway...

longform-original-10735-1413883909-5.jpg

• Like 6

My paternal grandfather witnessed the shooting down of John Dillinger outside the Biograph Theatre.

He also installed some of the kitchen fittings in the Pentagon when it was being built

• Like 6

My paternal grandfather was at a couple of the nastiest battles of WWI.  He used to shake hands with a hand sticking out of the trench side whenever he went out on a trip into no-man's land.  He also told my dad about the foul language (whispered) that erupted from his officer when he stumbled hands-first into a dead body while crawling about out there :puke:

We just don't know we're born, do we?  We're so lucky not to have to undergo this kind of thing.  Sorry for the serious bit again :unsure:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I've been to the Biograph theatre (where I saw 'Something about Mary') and stood on the spot where Dillinger was killed. 

Odd Chicago laws include it being illegal to dine in a restaurant which is on fire.

It is also illegal to fish while seated on a giraffes neck.

Of course this means that someone has done both of these things...

• Haha 7

19 minutes ago, Tzulscha said:

Of course this means that someone has done both of these things...

Some of the rules that have to be enacted across this blue marble we live on to stop weirdos from ruining everything for the 99.9% would blow your mind. :boom:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Bullbasket That depends on what 'Daddy Long Legs' you mean. Here in Scotland it's the Cranefly which is a true fly in the order Tipulidae (thank you Wikipedia) where in the USA a Daddy Long Legs is, if I recall correctly, a spider like what we call a harvestman or harvester spider. Tiny wee body on big long legs.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Tzulscha said:

Ya know, I had to look it up.

Apparently it is "Kalamazooian" although everyone here just says that they are from 'Kazoo'.

On a similar note, is someone from Goole known as a Goolie? :hmmm:

Sorry, that may not travel across the pond!

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Mike said:

My paternal grandfather was at a couple of the nastiest battles of WWI.  He used to shake hands with a hand sticking out of the trench side whenever he went out on a trip into no-man's land.  He also told my dad about the foul language (whispered) that erupted from his officer when he stumbled hands-first into a dead body while crawling about out there :puke:

We just don't know we're born, do we?  We're so lucky not to have to undergo this kind of thing.  Sorry for the serious bit again :unsure:

My paternal grandfather was so upset by the trenches that he never told his children what happened. He didn't even tell them why he had the MC and bar. It was only after his death they got copies of his citations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3DStewart said:

My paternal grandfather was so upset by the trenches that he never told his children what happened. He didn't even tell them why he had the MC and bar. It was only after his death they got copies of his citations.

My grandad was a pre war regular in the artillery. We knew nothing about it until a sister of mine researched him. She also discovered a great uncle, our Granny's brother who died in the 1918 'Michael' offensive. 

It was never spoken of in our family. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beardie said:

Was it something you said?

'Exit, exit exit.' Works every time. But at least she didn't scream. You could actually hear them screaming as they fell from the aeroplane sometimes. Once I keyed the Mike to tell ATC, 'drop complete'. They heard our last customer expressing her joy as she departed into the void. 

How we laughed. 

• Haha 4

My paternal grandmother knew Albert Ball. Used to ride on the handlebars of his bike when young. My wife had a relative who was president of El Salvador for a short period in the early C20. Her grandfather apparently had song written about him about in El Salvador, centring on his relationships. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Mr T said:

My paternal grandmother knew Albert Ball. Used to ride on the handlebars of his bike when young. My wife had a relative who was president of El Salvador for a short period in the early C20. Her grandfather apparently had song written about him about in El Salvador, centring on his relationships. 

Wow, I think you win whatever prize we're offering. You win it. Albert Ball. A personal hero of mine. 

El Salvador is pretty interesting too. 

• Thanks 1

On 09/10/2019 at 13:20, Mike said:

I have a brick I call Gerald.

What would you do without him?  He’s a good sort, always there for you when you need him, a real brick

ok I will get off and have an early night then

• Haha 1