1/72 Roden Albatros D.III Wood Mule

Hi All

Sorry I haven't been in The Lab much lately, ramping up to Silly Season is getting in the way.

Anyhoo, I've had a couple of brief sessions on this old thing with the aim of trying out the Buff / Linen undercoat for a wood finish.

DSCF8623.jpg

It's not wood on the box art, but there are a couple of the 20+ schemes (count 'em) that are

DSCF8624.jpg

Not a high part count

DSCF8625.jpg

But the engine is cute, even though most of it will be hidden away

DSCF8627.jpg

The interior gets a base coat of Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow with Ochre Yellow and Burnt Umber streaks, Clear Yellow and Orange staining, and a finish of Brown Tamiya Panel Line Accent Colour for contrast

DSCF8629.jpg

The sides are joined, and while setting the 'interior' gets some paint

DSCF8631.jpg

There it will probably stay for a while until I pass this way again.

Comments and suggestions welcome

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8

So far looking good.  I am deeply interested in the Austro-Hungarian Empire's role in World War One so I will be following this build.  I have this kit myself in the stashand plan to build it as von Bromowski's mount, complete with the sword "camouflage".  I am going to cheat though and use the FCM decals :)

Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

Hi All

A brief digest of recent Lab Spasms

The engine fits on its' supports

DSCF8632.jpg

But sits too high to get the exhausts on to the cylinders

DSCF8633.jpg

(I know the upper deck part isn't fully down, but it's just the way I'm holding it)

This is raised slightly to clear the ports

DSCF8634.jpg

DSCF8636.jpg

But it puts the centre off centre

DSCF8635.jpg

Regardless, office done!

DSCF8638.jpg

Not much can be seen anyway

DSCF8639.jpg

The nose of the fuselage just about fits the front cowling ring (not)

DSCF8665.jpg

DSCF8666.jpg

DSCF8667.jpg

But hey, this isn't about fit, it's about starting wood. Paint time

DSCF8668.jpg

And a coat of Tamiya XF-57 Buff later

DSCF8669.jpg

Looks a little brown to me, so I redid the CDL parts with XF-55 Deck Tan

DSCF8670.jpg

Cursed lighting, magnification and general shoddyness.

Anyhoo, as I made little effort to blend in the cockpit decking top part to the rest of the fuselage, I thought I'd give it a different shade of wood with an XF-15 Flesh base.

DSCF8671.jpg

Can't really tell from this photo, but it is. The struts and legs got XF-77 IJN Grey.

On removing the masking from round the cockpit decking, some paint was lifted from the Buff coat.

"Oh my word, that is unfortunate!" I thought (paraphrasing obviously)

Then I had a closer look and thought I might get away with it as wood grain?

So I dabbed some off the sides, and hope to blend in some watercolour pencil marks before the Clear Orange top coat.

DSCF8673.jpg

If it doesn't pan out, then I'll know for next time.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Hi All

Just like the busses, nothing for ages then two come along at once.

I thought the Deck Tan looked a little grey and flat, what it needed was more of a translucent yellowish tinge.

Something like Tamiya X-24 Clear Yellow cut with X-22 Clear?

DSCF8675.jpg

Hmm, poor old mule.

At least it's not an Eduard mule :cowboy:

On with the Clear Orange sometime soon (hopefully)

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Looks to me like a cowling error. The engine needs to be central.

I use radome tan or clear doped linen as a base for wood. You want it to be a light tan colour, not too orange or brown.

Ian

• Thanks 1

Hi All

21 hours ago, Courageous said:

Wood mule or not, that engine fit/ location would pee me off. Not to sure how you would get round it if you were fussed.

Hope them worms are tasty.

Stuart

Hi Stuart, worms taste a bit like chicken :pie:

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Looks to me like a cowling error. The engine needs to be central.

I use radome tan or clear doped linen as a base for wood. You want it to be a light tan colour, not too orange or brown.

Ian

Hi Ian, I might adjust the cowling, or I might sit the engine lower and just fix the exhausts slightly high.

The Tamiya XF-55 Deck Tan that I previously used is a recognised CDL lookalike, particularly for larger scales, but it didn't quite do it for me.

I put on some Vallejo Model Air 71.075 Sand (Ivory) and it looks to have a bit more life about it.

DSCF8676.jpg

(It photographed a really odd colour so I tweaked it a touch to what I thought it looks like. What's with the pink!?!)

Anyhoo, I'm going to give it a coat of Pledge to seal it in, perhaps try a drop of X-24 Clear Yellow in with it just because.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2

Hi All

I put a couple of washes of that Tamiya Brown Panel Wash on the Flesh wood base

DSCF8679.jpg

DSCF8680.jpg

The whole thing still looks slightly too dark orange, perhaps I should have put some clear in it to take the edge off?

Pressing on, I tried some watercolour pencil on the prop

DSCF8681.jpg

I couldn't quite get the laminations to feel right, so the whole thing became one piece.

Next time.

Anyhoo, I did the engine cowling, nose ring, and upper wing radiator with Vallejo Air 71.062 Aluminium

DSCF8686.jpg

I'll pick out the various hatches and plates, get the stickers on and then give it some matt action, see if that dims it down a bit.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Lovely work, so far.

I Find that deck tan can be a bit yellow for cdl and go for Tamiya buff. 

For plywood I use desert yellow as a base coat then oils, yellow burnt umber, less is more here, then a coat of Tamiya clear orange.

laminated propellers, since switching to paper ones I haven’t looked back, now I haven’t tried to make one in 1/72, but in 1/48 I find it’s the easiest and best looking method.

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

Hi All

I got the decals on, all ten of them including two on the prop

DSCF8687.jpg

They were thin and quite brittle, all of them cracking into at least a couple of pieces. I managed to coax most of them back together, except for the upper port wing where they just wouldn't sit right.

Never mind, I got the nose ring on as close as central as it would go (if you were to do this seriously you'd need to put in some work to get it smooth), and glued on the lower wings

DSCF8690.jpg

I must admit that once the aluminium and markings were on, it didn't look as garish as I had thought.

At least it takes your eye away from the nose ring / body step :whistle:

Cheers

Steve

• Like 3

Hi All

After several rounds of knocking off selected wings and the tail and, I finally managed to get all the body pieces together at the same time.

DSCF8694.jpg

There's not a lot of surface to join between the surfaces, sometimes just looking at them causes a fracture :raincloud:

Anyhoo, they've been given a coat of matt to try to keep them solid

DSCF8695.jpg

The little bristles on the coffee stirrer are the six individual exhausts awaiting some paint. How many do you think I'll have left by time I've come to fit them?

Cheers

Steve

• Like 5

Hi All

The good news is, I managed to get them all on without losing any!

DSCF8705.jpg

If it were to be built properly, those exhaust ends would be drilled out.

But anyhoo, from one wooden wonder to another

DSCF8709.jpg

Took me a while to nudge the towers and arms into the right positions, but I think I've the measure of it.

DSCF8711.jpg

One strut on and all's well so far...

Cheers

Steve

• Like 6

Hi All

Going to call time on this one.

I got the cabane struts on

DSCF8715.jpg

Then they pinged off while puting the top wing on.

So I changed tack and started with the outer struts

DSCF8716.jpg

DSCF8720.jpg

On refitting the cabane struts in the now too small gap, the starboard wing deflected then defected, leaving me dejected.

It has served its purpose admirably, and as that great green philosopher once said, "That'll do, donkey. That'll do."

Thanks for the company, see you on the next one.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yes...these are problematic kits.  Too bad you are shelving it.  I have built several (same issues as you) but a bit of fiddling fixed them up right.  

Regarding the 'wood' undercoat...I used Radome Tan, let it dry really well, then shaded on some 'darker' wood semi-transparent colour.  Then after full 24 hours of drying, I used Clear Yellow.  It gives it a better spruce/klinker built look.

Please say you'll come back to it.

• Like 1

Looks good. A pity you are shelving it. Would love to see it complete with markings and rigging. 

Struts can me a major pita with biplanes. I almost always have a bit of fiddling. Having a plan is essential. I’d be inclined to drill out the holes for the interplanetary struts (the outer ones) and either scratch some new ones with a bit of brass wire (oasis also do very nice .8mm wires for flower arranging) or pin the existing struts, then leave it to dry for a while. Following which, using a bows protractor ( a compass with two needles) tackle the cabane struts ( the inner ones) one strut at a time. You have a biplane jig so that would be a big help with the process. If it were me I’d feel better not relegating a nice build to the shelf of doom ( I have 2 Daleks and my DH4a and Bulldog are angling that way all of which vaguely annoys me, that said now that I’m airbrushing I’m starting to make plans to finish the Daleks :) and possibly the other 2) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back! Good!  Despite your despair this has been a useful thread.  As we speak I have one in the post and have now been pre-warned on what to look out for. 

Good of luck with the rest of it.

Dennis

• Like 2

Hi All

8 hours ago, DMC said:

As we speak I have one in the post and have now been pre-warned on what to look out for.

Hi Dennis, main thing I'd do differently would be to leave off the lower wings, turn it upside down and fit the upper wing square and secure on the cabane struts. Then attach the lower wings on the outer struts and what little purchase they have with the body, making sure they are at the same angle (and not flat as I had them initially). If you can do that without knocking off the tail and tail skid a dozen times, and live with or smooth over the nose ring to body join, then I doubt there's much out there that offers 20+ decal versions. Good luck!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Thanks, Steve, I’ll file that away until I’m ready to start the kit.  It was an impulse buy after a bit of curious browsing led me here: 

and to a few other reviews.  I’ve yet to rig and finish a biplane and, more recently, have shied away from war machines but I’ll give this one a try after the Flying Boat and Floatplane GB ends.

Thanks again.

Dennis

• Like 2

Great to see you haven't given up on this. She's looking good!

I have one in the stash and picked up some Aviattic sworl camo for it at Telford. Not sure how far up the build list that has moved it though....

Ian

• Like 1

Hi All

On 11/16/2019 at 1:32 PM, limeypilot said:

I have one in the stash and picked up some Aviattic sworl camo for it at Telford. Not sure how far up the build list that has moved it though...

Hi Ian, I wouldn't move her up the list unless to earmark her for a casual fling or fancy trying some 'adjustments'. Those decals might be better served on a more benevolent build, but hey one mans meat...

So anyhoo, I figured I'd partially rig her

DSCF8754.jpg

And this time I'm really calling her done

DSCF8759.jpg

DSCF8761.jpg

DSCF8760.jpg

DSCF8755.jpg

Thanks to you all for goading me to finish her, she's a pretty wee thing.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 4

Very nice result! Rigging and wood finish on the fuselage turned out very good. 1/72 scale WW1 and golden age aircraft models are sooo darned small- they are n pretty small in 1/48 and even 1/32, so what you have managed   speaks well for your skills!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1