C-130J Engine Nacelles (BRL48123) 1:48

C-130J Engine Nacelles (BRL48123 for Italeri)

1:48 Brengun

boxtop.jpg

The large scale Hercules from Italeri has been around in many guises over the years, with the C-130J having popped up this side of the new millennium and most recently in 2014.  It's a kit that is of a certain age now, but as there's fat chance of anyone issuing a new one in 1:48 scale, we have to take it as it comes with some elements that are less accurate than others.  The J is the latest model of the Herc, and the only one still in production with upgraded Rolls-Royce turboprop engines and sabre-like Dowty props differentiating it from the previous marks externally.  Those aren't the only upgrades, as the whole avionics package has been updated with new cockpit and countermeasures, plus improved range and performance.

sprue1.jpg

The J in kitform has a few challenges, one of which is the engine nacelles.  This set is designed to address that, with resin parts that can far exceed the capabilities of plastic in terms of finesse and detail.  The set arrives in a cardboard box that is sealed by its label and inside are found twelve large parts in grey resin, plus another twelve small parts in groups of three on the same pouring block.  It's a Herk.  In 1:48.  So it's large.  The parts are large too as you'd expect, and each nacelle comes in two parts with the front separate from the body so that a very crisp and thin leading edge lip can be achieved on the upper intake as well as the lower chin-scoop.  The parts have a little engraved line where you should cut, and the front slides inside the lip of the nacelle, with the new prop boss slotting neatly into the front, allowing you to choose your preferred orientation.  You'll notice that there are no blades included with the set, as Brengun consider the 6 blades on each engine to be up to the task – that's 32 - no 24 blades in total Chris (in-joke).  The remaining parts are two antennae for under each nacelle, and a small cooling vent for the rear of the lower intake, which conveniently hides the blanked off exit.  To install the engines on the wing, just remove 2.25mm from the inner nacelle roots and glue them in place with CA or epoxy glue as you see fit.  Incidentally, you may notice the smaller parts have little extensions at the top of each high-point.  These are bubble "traps" that should be cut off before you apply the parts, and are used to avoid inconvenient bubbles in delicate parts.

Conclusion

Well cast with only one or two bubbles in trailing edges, but these are easy to fix with some styrene rod or filler.  The low part count is a boon, and everything fits together neatly, as you can see from the example above, which is only held together with a piece of Blutak behind the spinner.

Very highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 3

They look really good, which makes it more the shame that the only Attack Squadron Herc parts Brengun haven't reproduced are the E/H engines. There's still a lot of the pre J version kits floating around and they regularly change hands on eBay. Maybe the problem is nobody is actually building them. I have to confess, mine still lives boxed in the loft until I own a home with east and west wings and an annex.

11 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

You might not be aware Mike, these were originally tooled by Attack Squadron who passed the tooling over to Brengun when they decided to go into injection moulding.

I didn't know for sure, but having seen them both I had my suspicions :)

• Like 1