1/72 Hobby Boss P-40E, 77 Squadron RAAF

johnd

Ok, let's see if I can actually get a group build finished by aiming low with an easy-build kit.

I'm going to do Squadron Leader Richard Cresswell's P-40E from New Guinea, 1942 with markings taken from the Skymodels 72-058 sheet.

Here's the kit...

SAM_5168

SAM_5167

and the Skymodels illustration...

SAM_5169

Right, better get cracking.

John.

• Like 3

Thanks,

it's going ok so far, though I did get sidetracked and read a bit about Squadron Leader Cresswell and the various theories about paint. Still, I've done a bit to it, photos later, probably.

John.

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Will follow yours to see how it goes

Erm...I wouldn't set your stall on what I do. For what it's worth, I've plumped for Humbrol 116. 

Cheers,

John.

• Like 1

One of the articles I consulted before starting this was this one. The argument goes that Cresswell's aeroplane was a P-40e-1 which were intended for lend-lease and therefore finished in DuPont colours. It then postulates that the Aussies would not have repainted an aircraft that already had serviceable and appropriate paintwork. This sounded quite reasonable so that's the route I chose. Hence Humbrol 116 and 118 for the upper camouflage.

John.

Progress has been a little slow due to the onset of a head cold and a day trip to Rochester (UK). This is where I am now:

IMG_2165

IMG_2164

The next step is to add the lap belts, fit the canopy so I can touch up the paintwork in the cockpit from below and then fit the wings on.

John.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, the canopy seems to be beyond recovery but never mind, carry on...

img_2168_48982207906_o

The first couple of coats of paint are on. Brush painted Humbrol acrylic 116 and 118.

img_2169_48982394212_o

Despite their reputation, they went on quite well. The underside colour is meant to represent DuPont Sky, 71-021. It's a mixture of Medium Sea Grey and Vallejo's 70.885 Pastel Green.

img_2170_48982207746_o

Comments welcome.

In the meantime, it's time to sort out the undercarriage and propeller unit.

Thanks for looking,

John.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

img_2171_49060942628_o

Cracked it! 

Underside paint on, drop tank cradle in place and propeller unit temporarily installed. The best part of the photo is spouse's table cloth but actually I'm quite pleased with the way the underside has turned out.

John.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im glad you know about it i will change my reaction and hope you figure it out. 

Thanks, it was straightforward, while I'd thought I'd set the photo as public, I hadn't.

John.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, johnd said:

Well, I was quite pleased with the propeller job but having seen the photos it's now "work in progress"  😐

It's always fatal posting large photos of small items :winkgrin:

Seriously though, this is looking good and well on course for the deadline too.

Cheers

Cliff

• Thanks 1

img_2172_49061674007_o

It's going to be close but I'm still going to make it!

I lost the last weekend to modelling due to a "significant birthday" of mine. While I made it quite clear that no fuss was to be made, spouse still managed to get me to Rye, staying in the magnificent Mermaid Inn and with offspring and partners, over-indulging in style. 

The coming weekend is free, so confidence is high...watch this space.

John.

• Like 4

pb2400051_49113124702_o pb2400041_49113119907_o pb2400031_49113113202_o

Apologies for the hurried photographs. Once again, the table cloth is the star, the reason being that a pot of Humbrol 116 went flying and half of the available modelling time was spent cleaning up a mess of my own making. She'll never notice...😨

It's going ok, except of course for those quarter lights which are letting the side down. Should be finished tomorrow, within the deadline.

John.

• Like 3

On 24/11/2019 at 00:38, johnd said:

She'll never notice...

My job on the tablecloth was a good 'un, she didn't notice! However, she did notice that I'd managed to get paint as far as the hall...

Still on track to finish though. Just a few more canopy frames then stick the wheels and propeller unit on followed by a coat of varnish and a stiff Laphroaig for me.

pb2400061_49116927642_o

John.

• Like 2