Etihad A320 in 1/144

I present my Revell A320 in 1/144 and wearing the Etihad Livery. 

The build was OOB and even using the kit decals (it can happen sometimes 😂) with the Sharklets from Braz. It was what you’d expect from a Revell kit, it goes together ok but does require trimming around the wingbox to ensure it sits flush with the fuselage section. The only thing I had to do was use some V2500s from my spares as Etihad A6-EJA is powered by them and also has the Sharklets fitted. The Etihad kit, as @Viking excellent review mentions, only comes with the CFM engine options but with the V2500 engine decals. 

I hadn’t ever used filler before (amateur mistake when I had already put this kit together and had painted it), so I didn’t get round to using it here which can be seen in places ☹️. Lesson learnt and now using it for my future builds. 

The colour is a difficult one, as again like most aircraft, it looks so different under so many lighting conditions. I followed the Revell paint guide included in the kits instructions. The paints used were Revell Aqua colours White Gloss 04, Aluminium 99 and Orange Klear 730. It’s not brilliant, and I much prefer the ‘Nail Polish’ option, but being limited to brush painting this was my final result. The wings and horizontal stabs are Revell 371 and Revell 374 for coroguard section (until I can track down a Holts supplier locally). 

The decals are excellent quality from Daco, and fit to the model excellently... if not like completing a jigsaw puzzle. I have recently used AA Decals for my Qatar 787 and am in love with them. I would have used them for this had I known before. I have an ‘Egyptair A321’ that’s virtually finished (I am going to go over the blacked out windows with some AA Decals I have on order). I also am going to be shortly building a ‘Thomas Cook’ A320 in the old light blue bottom scheme for which I have some AA decals on order for as well.

As always thank you for looking and any constructive feedback is welcomed and appreciated. 

Regards,

Alistair

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Etihad A320

Edited by Scotsman07
  • Like 23

Very nice indeed Alistair. Fine model and excellent presentation - I really like your base(s). The Revell A320 may have been around for a long time but it's still an excellent kit and personally I prefer it to the Zvezda one although I've never plucked up courage to tackle the Ethiad livery.

You mention filler in your post. I find superglue applied with a pin makes a good filler particularly for small imperfections, for example on the engine cowling front rings. The only thing to remember is that you must sand it within 5-10 minutes of application otherwise it sets harder than the surrounding plastic. For filling the joints inside the front cowlings I like Mr Surfacer 500 because once it's dry you can remove much of the surplus by using a cotton swab moistened with isopropyl alcohol which minimises an awkward sanding job.

Great work and please keep the airliners coming.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Fabulous looking A320 Alistair,  it looks impossible to tell it was brush painted. The weathering and the base really add to it.

Looking forward to the Egyptair A321,

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Hi Alistair,

Yes I like this too! The fuselage colour looks good I'm going to have to remember this mix if I do an Etihad livery in the future.

Love the last pic with your Qatar 787 it always surprised me when I see the 787 next to a narrow body how big they actually are!

Cheers,

Ian

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Scotsman07 said:

@Viking ( until I can track down a Holts supplier locally).

Fabulous Airbus and well done on the paint mix. Always impressed with your work. Holts have a dealer locator on their website. I've used it and it works. Looking forward to the Egyptiar A321.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice indeed Alistair. Fine model and excellent presentation - I really like your base(s). The Revell A320 may have been around for a long time but it's still an excellent kit and personally I prefer it to the Zvezda one although I've never plucked up courage to tackle the Ethiad livery.

You mention filler in your post. I find superglue applied with a pin makes a good filler particularly for small imperfections, for example on the engine cowling front rings. The only thing to remember is that you must sand it within 5-10 minutes of application otherwise it sets harder than the surrounding plastic. For filling the joints inside the front cowlings I like Mr Surfacer 500 because once it's dry you can remove much of the surplus by using a cotton swab moistened with isopropyl alcohol which minimises an awkward sanding job.

Great work and please keep the airliners coming.

Dave G

Thank you Dave, I must admit I had the kit since my wife and daughter brought it for me for my birthday 2 years ago, but always been out with the paint scheme and the decaling but I thought I’d bite the bullet and give it a go.

I never thought to use super glue as a filler, especially for the engine cowling areas. I’d not heard of mr surface 500 before, thank you for the excellent tips 😃.

Regards,

Alistair

16 hours ago, Mark said:

Lovely job on both of those Alistair!

I recognise the framed checklist... ;)

Thank you, yeah the good one Airbus checklist 😬👍🏻.

15 hours ago, Viking said:

Fabulous looking A320 Alistair,  it looks impossible to tell it was brush painted. The weathering and the base really add to it.

Looking forward to the Egyptair A321,

Cheers

John

Thank you John, i am looking forward to sharing the A321 with you all... just need my AA Decals to turn up and get to finishing it.

Regards,

Alistair

13 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Alistair,

Yes I like this too! The fuselage colour looks good I'm going to have to remember this mix if I do an Etihad livery in the future.

Love the last pic with your Qatar 787 it always surprised me when I see the 787 next to a narrow body how big they actually are!

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thank you 😃, it’s a pig of a colour... I decided it was a case of mixing to a shade I was happy based of some images I had of the real thing. 
I remember a time back in 2010 when I was CC down in ZRH on stand next to a Singapore A380 in an EZY A320. Never did it feel that the A320 was so insignificant. I’ve done the tour of the A380 plant in TLS, it is a beauty of an Airliner and shame it will be mothballed soon.

Regards,

Alistair

3 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Fabulous Airbus and well done on the paint mix. Always impressed with your work. Holts have a dealer locator on their website. I've used it and it works. Looking forward to the Egyptiar A321.

Thank you 😃, I will have a look on their website to see who stocks it locally. Their used to be one in town but they have switched to the Hyecote paint range now. As using that would be easier than brush painting the bloody wings 😂, and the colour is a good match too.

Regards,

Alistair

15 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

Hi Alistair,

A fine looking model and the finish you've achieved with a brush is fantastic!  I also like your homemade base.

Mike

Thank you, one day I will get round to trying airbrushing but at the same time I quite enjoy brush painting them as well. But less painful on the smaller kits 😂

Regards,

Alistair

Edited by Scotsman07