1/48 Eduard P-51 D-5 Mustang

Muzz

So never built a kit with a spinny thing at the front (or back) end for 25 - 30 years. It's been modern/cold war jets since I picked the hobby up again 14 years ago. However sometimes you see a kit that looks so good you just want to build it whatever it may be. The Eduard Mustang kit is one such kit for me.

Will be built out the box as 'Marie', silver/NMF finish with yellow tale.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

Cockpit sides fitted to the fuselage parts, some nice PE parts, I chose not to use all the PE as detail on the plastic is pretty nice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Main landing gear bay completed, painted Xtreme Metals Aluminium and Tamyia Yellow Green with a wash to dirty it up a bit.

spacer.png

• Like 6

Some more work done on the Mustang, the instrument panel is made up of 3 laminated pieces of PE with raised instruments. Makes for an impressive effect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Fuselage together and the wings are on. The builds gone together perfectly so far other than a bit of a lack of locating tabs for the fuselage halfs. Maybe I was too rushed in my approach but definately felt like Eduard could have done better here, I ended up with a small step on nearly all the joins. Cleaned up with some sanding and Mr Surfacer.

spacer.png

One area that did fit exceptionally well was the main wing to the fuselage near perfect join.

spacer.png

And the cockpit instrument panel and coaming are a perfect fit, not even going to bother with any cement.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

It's looking really good. I may have to pop for one of these too.

It's a lovely kit, picked mine up for £31 which I think is really decent for what you get.

• Like 1

Very nice looking innards and a quick build. I'll have to get one once my stash is down to a manageable level, which according to my calculations, will be sometime in my third reincarnation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Very nice looking innards and a quick build. I'll have to get one once my stash is down to a manageable level, which according to my calculations, will be sometime in my third reincarnation.

It's important to plan ahead for that next life's hobby.

Good looking kit, and going together fast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A quick update, wings finished in Citadel Merthil Silver for the silver painted areas, fuselage and flying surfaces in AK Xtreme Metals Aluminium. Surface detail looks great with the Xtreme metals paint.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Next up will be a splash of colour!

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The Merthil  Silver looks just right for the painted wings, must remember that.What did you thin it with?

John

Must have been strong stuff to thin Citadel clag.

AW

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thom216 said:

How did that cut-out for the tail fillet go together? Any special attention needed for it?

No issues, great fit all round. I needed a wee bit Mr Surfacer for some of the main fuselage joins but that may have been my own doing.

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The Merthil  Silver looks just right for the painted wings, must remember that.What did you thin it with?

John

Thinned with Mr Muscle window cleaner, which certainly thinned it but could have done with a drop of retarder in it too as it was drying on the tip of the needle. Gave it a second coat thinned with Hataka acrylic thinners which worked a lot better but left a tacky surface, think its finally dried 2 days on. I thought my previous issues with Hataka was just down to the paint but it appears the thinners caused other manufacturers paints to act in a similar manner.

• Like 1