Vallejo Paint Question

nheather

One question that’s been on my mind for some time but keep forgetting to ask.

Vallejo Model Colour and Model Air, the range of colours is different, and Model Air is formulated for airbrush - but apart from being thinned and maybe some flow enhancer is Model Air any different to Model Colour.  For example, are the pigments different, finer maybe or is it the case that if I took some Model Air, thinned it, added some flow enhancer it would be the same as Model Air.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

I believe the pigments in Model color aren't as refined compared to model-air. That being said i use both through my A/B’s quite often about 40% of the time. The other paints i use are Ammo by Mig and Tamiya. I usually stir and shake model color up for a little while and thin using water or in the past have used Iwata’s A/B cleaner as a thinner/flow improver. Im currently out but still get on with model color. Ive noticed recently though that model air seems to have a shelf life ? Some of the ones I've used recently have had issues and were 1st opened/used about 12-18 months ago. You can also brush paint model air by letting it stand for a bit on a tray and thicken up a little. Then two or three coats works. 

Dennis

• Like 1

No doubt that Model Air's pigments are a little thicker and more dense compared to Model Air. Even if you try to thin them with their thinner to get the same consistency with Model Airs, you simply can't get the same even similar result. I think it depends on the production phase whatsoever. However, if you manage to airbrush the Model Color's somehow, the coverage will be same as Air's. Kinda magical stuff.

I like the color range and diversity of MC though, it has some satin and glossy finishes as well, which MA lacks of.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far.

The reason I ask is that my hobby splits into two categories, war gaming and plastic modelling.

For wargaming it is mostly figures and small scale vehicles and support equipment - so I mostly brush paint and MC works best for that.  I have a load of MC already so when it comes to painting a plastic model it's natural to think "do I really need MA or can I simply thin down my MC"

Cheers,

Nigel

5 hours ago, nheather said:

it's natural to think "do I really need MA or can I simply thin down my MC"

Forgot to add that my one A/brush has a .50 needle so its a fairly large opening. I would recommend if you do air brush M/color that you use a larger needle as well.