Star Wars STAR DESTROYER, bandai 1/4500

STAR DESTROYER

Bandai 1/14500

Bandai tempts me again, and hook me, with one of his little kits: The Star Destroyer.
The scale is small, really small, 1/14500. That translates into a model that, having 11 cm in length, fits in the palm of the hand. However, the detail is very fine.
In my opinion of having made Bandai a kit of this ship at 1/7000 scale would have resulted in a length of between 23 and 25 cm that, with the great detail to which the Japanese brand has accustomed us, would be perfect for those of us who love the ships of this galactic saga but we do not want a model of it 50 or 60 cm long. With its 11 cm it is, although very manageable, really small yes. Another thing would be the Imperial Super Destroyer that at 1/7000 would result in its 2'7 meters of immense length even at this scale. There is no wife to be persuaded, a "deadly" salary that would allow her or a showcase to house her.

Show the construction process I think is not worth it. The pieces, which are 22 or 23, fit in a small staple and from the beginning of cutting the first piece until it ends by pasting the last one, I don't think 45 minutes have elapsed. Its adjustment is almost perfect, needing putty in 4 or 5 points and I have applied diluted in acetone. I think more by forecast than by something else because the boards may not be visible because of their size and layout once painted and especially because they are camouflaged when applying dark oils to highlight details. I have used extra-liquid glue also more by anticipation than as a necessity since Bandai's fat-breasted system and its exquisite fit surely does not make it essential.

A photo of the mock-up not yet painted, and without the engines. I prefer to paint them comfortably apart and place later.

48854242183_6510b7a6db_o.jpg

After applying a dirty white result of mixing XF-2 with XF-55 I have sprayed Tamiya XF-55 very diluted around the different structures.

48854599421_1b7489c5c2_o.jpg

48854599586_a54f737415_o.jpg

Next, I reapplied the base color by masking the surface so that it was only applied to the highest parts of the structure. At some points I applied the paint with a fine brush.

48854795222_1ca39146f7_o.jpg

48854795132_5d3e93a369_o.jpg

I thought I could finish it completely today, but no. Anyway, this little bug has no decals or landing gear or anything like that, so in the next post it will be "ready for sentencing."

Andrés.

Edited by Andrés S.
  • Like 5

Hi, Andrés!

What a tiny thing! The details are really fantastic! As usual, the painting job is superb. You have an amazing ability to paint! 😉

I hope to see it finished soon!

Cheers!

Miguel

• Like 1

Thanks Andy, but I'm not happy with the result. I guess what I expected to do is somewhat superior to my abilities.

In fact, since I was not happy with the previous result, I made another attempt.

I think that once I applied the gloss varnish, oil to highlight details and re-varnish for the final finish, part of the applied shading would disappear. As other times I have seen what has happened.
I therefore decide to accentuate the shading, this time with a very dark mixture of brown and black.

48867909556_0dcf7274e5_o.jpg

48867909646_60c6bb0ab1_o.jpg

I reapply the base color in the same way as in the previous attempt: on the highest elements. As the shading did not apply everything correctly that I should have had to correct in some points with the base color.

48867391153_d6f042e53d_o.jpg

And I apply oil, this time I used a gray mixture obtained from black and white. I think that what I usually use in black and brown would not have been good in such a small and clear thing.
The remaining photos already in finished models.

48867909586_be0b670965_o.jpg

Well, it's not exactly what I wanted to achieve. Even having exaggerated something else the shading I have not achieved the result I had in mind.

The remaining photos will be placed in ready for inspection.

Andrés.

• Thanks 1