The ultimate evolution? Trumpeter 1/35 T-62

modelling minion

Recognising that I have been very negligent with my updates here is a very overdue one.

In amongst life and work things I have been making slow progress with my build, the hull is complete and so is the turret (minus the big pokey out boomy thing) and the fenders have had all their equipment added except the fuel lines which I will have to find a decent picture of and make from wire, anyway enough waffle here are the pictures starting with the hull.

spacer.png

I have also left off the lights and their protective guards which will go on after the main painting has been completed.

Next up is the turret.

spacer.png

Most of the bits and bobs have been added and as you can see I have replaced the kits plastic rails with some suitably sized fuse wire which looks much better and much stronger than the plastic.

Next are the fenders with all their fuel tanks and boxes added.

spacer.png

And finally the big pokey out boomy thing, or gun as some people call it.

spacer.png

As you can see the extra rear fuel tanks are also built up. The kits metal barrel looks pretty good to me and I can see why they are more popular than multi-part plastic ones.

Next job ( which I have started ) is to get some green on before I can start the weathering and general dirtying up of the beast.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 2

Hi Craig. Hope you are well. Great to see some photos of your progress and it is looking superb! The detail on the kit looks fantastic and I agree - that metal barrel is a real improvement.

With regards the fuel lines - this is the stuff John (@Bullbasket) shared with me in my thread so I could have a go at my fuel lines:

I found it very helpful with mine.

Looking forward to seeing yours with the paint on.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Thanks 1

Glad to be of help! :thumbsup:

I used lead wire for mine. I tried to use fuse wire but found it was quite stiff and difficult to bend the shapes required and fit it into place. The lead wire, as it's softer, gave me more flexibility with bending it around the various parts.

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

hello craig hope you're  well, i like the fuse wire rails ,they look finer than the ones on my 72nd T54,  looking like a pretty decent kit ,that hull is  very nicley done, liking it so far,

Maybe see you at mikes over the holidays 👍

• Thanks 1

Well as promised here are some pics which show the current state of play, starting with a shot of the hull as it stands at the moment.

spacer.png

As you can see the hull is pretty much complete with the painting and most of the weathering done, I've gone for a dusty look rather than muddy, here is a close up of the wheel area, apologies for it being slightly out of focus;

spacer.png

And a look at the rear of the tank including the ubiquitous fuel drums;

spacer.png

The majority of work has also been done on the turret with the exception of the DHsK which still needs to be built up and added to it's mounting. The main gun really is impressively long!

spacer.png

And a closer look at the turret side which hopefully shows the weathering and some of the streaking.

spacer.png

The fenders have also had the same treatment and also the fuel lines added to the one on the right hand side of the tank;

spacer.png

The tracks are now underway and after a coat of black I painted on a coat of Vallejo jet exhaust which gives a nice dark metallic colour, I am now in the process of giving a very thin wash of the same sandy colour I have used on the tank which seems to flow nicely into the details on the tracks and you can see it partially applied on the pic below;

spacer.png

I need to finish off the tracks and get them fitted, then I can finish the main assembly of the hull.

That's it for today so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6

Hi Craig. I agree with Glynn - the paintwork does really look superb. The different shades/tones work really well. Great work on the fuel lines too - they really look the part and will certainly add to the overall appearance. The tracks look excellent too. It's all coming together rather splendidly! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit later than I expected but she is now finally finished!!!!

I'm no expert on armour (or very much for that matter) but she certainly looks like a T-62 to me and a lot of the details in the Trumpeter kit are very good indeed, not least of which is the aluminium barrel which really makes a difference and the DShK is really nice. The rubber tracks went on very well and had enough give in them which made it a simple matter of applying a small blob of super glue in a couple of places to try to emulate the sag of the real tracks and it seems to have worked quite well, well to my eyes anyway. 

She is not finished to represent a specific vehicle but rather as  a generic Soviet tank from the Cold War period, as such I made some rough stencils for the tank numbers and stippled on some white paint through them and I think it has worked well, the numbers are meant to look a bit rough as many did on the real thing.

Thats enough waffle on to the pics of the finished model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I shall stick 5 pics in the gallery, some of which are in this post, so it only remains for me to thank Stix for taking over the hosting of this GB and for allowing me to enter despite not having a T-55 per se and a big thanks to all of you who have shown an interest in the build, you have certainly kept me on track (pun intended!) so thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 3

Hi Craig. Very well done! A stunning result. I love the finish you have achieved! You have managed to capture the look of the worn metal/surface finish really well. And the idea for the stensils and stippling on the the white paint for the numbers works really brilliantly!

Top marks all round! And thank you for taking part in this GB.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PlaStix said:

Top marks all round! And thank you for taking part in this GB.

Thank Stix you are way too kind as usual.

I have enjoyed building the kit, nice to get a bit of a break from aircraft, and think that in a proper armour builders hands it can be made into a great model.

Thanks again for allowing my build to take place.

• Like 1