up scaling king tiger

Callum Wilkinson

So i want to upscale a king tiger (ive just bought a tamiya king tiger 1:35 model) most likely to either 1:16 or 1:10 scale and make it rc. I couldn't believe the price for 1:16 rc or non rc model so i decided i would make my own. I am fine with the programming and putting in the motors in etc. I could do with any advice or tips you would know on how to upscale it and then how to make the actual model. I dont really want to 3d print it if i can help it. I would like to injection mold it but i would have thought you would have to by a large quantities for manufactures to do so. Once again if you would know anything that would help that would be really helpful. Many thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

You think the 1:16 kit is expensive, so you are going to make your own injection moulded one and you think that wont be expensive to do......🙄 and I assume believe you can make one cheaper than buying one.

Edited by alanmac
  • Like 2

The cost of injection moulding is huge (well into five figures) and the only way to spread the cost is to produce thousands of copies. The size of the parts you'd need for a 1/16 scale KT would mean larger moulds and access to commercial moulding presses. It's far cheaper to bite the bullet and buy a commercially available kit in the scale you want.

3D printing - you'll need extensive CAD skills to design the parts for printing and then find someone who can print them for you. That will not be cheap either. You'll end up spending far more than it would cost to buy an existing kit.

Metal - Unless you have metal fabrication skills and access to extensive workshop machinery, that's also a non-starter in terms of scratchbuilding a full kit.

You could probably fabricate the hull from thick plastic card (3-5mm thick as a minimum I would suggest) but would it stand up to the rough and tumble of an RC existence? Many of the smaller components could be cast in resin or white metal, but you'd still need to fabricate a master part for each component that is good enough to be cast (and designed with quality casting in mind).

All of the above are 'do-able' if you have the time and commiment but ultimately, if you want an RC model of a King Tiger in 1/16 scale, save yourself time, effort and money and buy a commercially available kit.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:24 AM, John Tapsell said:

The cost of injection moulding is huge (well into five figures) and the only way to spread the cost is to produce thousands of copies. The size of the parts you'd need for a 1/16 scale KT would mean larger moulds and access to commercial moulding presses. It's far cheaper to bite the bullet and buy a commercially available kit in the scale you want.

3D printing - you'll need extensive CAD skills to design the parts for printing and then find someone who can print them for you. That will not be cheap either. You'll end up spending far more than it would cost to buy an existing kit.

I enquired about getting Johnny Alpha's Westinghouse Blaster printed ( there is a 3D formula for printing it ) - and it would be over £ 1000 to get it made , even with Shapeways

as others have said - sadly bite the bullet and pay the money