Tamiya Matilda- first AFV

GRK

4 hours ago, GRK said:

Hi Badder, thanks for the comments. I did give the model a thin spay of Vallejo matt coat but it's too thin and its all still too shiny. Do you airbrush the Winsor and Newton varnish-if so does it need thinning and what with? I went and bought a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity and now I'm terrified of clogging it up and knackering's it! 

Hi GRK,

I use the AB to apply Winsor and Newton's matt varnish. I spray it neat, with a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution CR plus 2in1 with the 0.4 needle and difuser cap fitted. But, I do use both the 0.4 and 0.2 needles with the 'normal' needle caps for targeted varnishing and have had no problems with clogging as I make sure to flush everything out multiple times during any session. I will say that their gloss varnish is not so good. It does cause problems with clogging unless diluted with water, and then of course, it doesn't 'gloss' so easily and needs several coats. In truth, I should look for a different gloss varnish.

As for 'clogging it up and knackering' yours, I had the same fears when I bought mine, but now I don't. Regular flushing through, and removal and cleaning of the needle will normally suffice, but if I get lazy and leave my AB sitting for too long and it does clog up, I have one of those little cleaning kits that will unblock any clogged nozzle if used correctly and with care.

Rearguards,

Badder

PS. i only spray acrylic paints, acrylic inks and acrylic varnishes with my AB. I don't spray enamels.

Edited by Badder
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...