Tamiya Matilda- first AFV

GRK

Hi all

Just finished my first attempt an at AFV and I chose to kick off with my favourite tank-the Matilda. Really find the early war tanks interesting compared to the late war stuff- thinking of attempting an A13 MkIV next so if anyone has any recommendations for a good kit then please let me know. 

So after watching lots of YouTube videos, buying a few books and visiting this site, I've tried all sorts of techniques for the first time including using pigments, hairspray chipping, oil streaks/washes, pin washes. Big learning curve but I'm very pleased with the result. Picked up plenty of learning points, like I should have clear coated the rust/chipping layer before applying the hairspray as I've rubbed too hard in a few places and revealed the base coat, and if anyone has any advice for my next project I'd be grateful.  I also think I was a bit too heavy on the final spray of buff and toned things down a bit too much. 

I'm just starting on the diorama for it now, so I'll post more pictures of the finished piece when I'm done.

IMG_5813

IMG_5809

IMG_5806

IMG_5808

IMG_5812

IMG_5804

Edited by GRK
more pics
  • Like 42

57 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Good Blagg that fella... First model eh ? I would say sir “ hustler “ 

All joking aside, great build GRK 👍  Looks great indeed. 

Thanks Dads203 🙂, ha yes not my first model but def first AFV.  I've been thinking why have I not done one before, really enjoyed it and it seems a lot more forgiving than aircraft (much easier to hide any painting mistakes with weathering!) 

• Like 2

Very nice work-the Caunter Scheme is not for the faint of heart and you aced it.  The Tamiya Matilda is a very nice kit.  Bronco makes the A13 Cruiser in a few variants, but avoid the A13 Mk 1-the instructions are very screwed up and the rubber-band tracks are too short.

The Gecko A10s are very nice kits, but much more complex.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, f matthews said:

Very nice work-the Caunter Scheme is not for the faint of heart and you aced it.  The Tamiya Matilda is a very nice kit.  Bronco makes the A13 Cruiser in a few variants, but avoid the A13 Mk 1-the instructions are very screwed up and the rubber-band tracks are too short.

The Gecko A10s are very nice kits, but much more complex.

Hi, thanks for the advice on the Mk 1 kit- I'll avoid that one and try to get the Mk II/IV variant. I'll have a look round for in box reviews for the Gecko kits- I don't mide complex but i'll see if its too much to chew on for my second attempt!

Lovely looking Matilda. Excellent first AFV. Depending how much work that you wanted to do, the Mk.1 is OK so long as you get replacement tracks (Bronco do some) and replace the engine deck as I think that the vents are wrong. One of the resin AM firms does a replacement, Tiger Models or Tank Workshop, not sure which.

John.

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, GRK said:

Hi all

Just finished my first attempt an at AFV and I chose to kick off with my favourite tank-the Matilda. Really find the early war tanks interesting compared to the late war stuff- thinking of attempting an A13 MkIV next so if anyone has any recommendations for a good kit then please let me know. 

So after watching lots of YouTube videos, buying a few books and visiting this site, I've tried all sorts of techniques for the first time including using pigments, hairspray chipping, oil streaks/washes, pin washes. Big learning curve but I'm very pleased with the result. Picked up plenty of learning points, like I should have clear coated the rust/chipping layer before applying the hairspray as I've rubbed too hard in a few places and revealed the base coat, and if anyone has any advice for my next project I'd be grateful.  I also think I was a bit too heavy on the final spray of buff and toned things down a bit too much. 

I'm just starting on the diorama for it now, so I'll post more pictures of the finished piece when I'm done.

Great looking Matilda, cracking job for a first AFV.

22 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Lovely looking Matilda. Excellent first AFV. Depending how much work that you wanted to do, the Mk.1 is OK so long as you get replacement tracks (Bronco do some) and replace the engine deck as I think that the vents are wrong. One of the resin AM firms does a replacement, Tiger Models or Tank Workshop, not sure which.

John.

I was under the impression that Bronco revised the engine deck tooling in later editions of the kit, although I may be mistaken about this.

• Thanks 1

You`ve done a brilliant job,..... what a nice Matilda. The driver looks a bit like Mark from Transport Models in Preston LOL!!

Cheers,

Tony

• Haha 1

Great work. Especially for a first time. Love the colour scheme. Did you use blue or green/grey? I've got a tamiya one to build which says blue but we all know its green/grey silly tamiya. Lol

Look forward to seeing more. Maybe a crusader. 

Thanks for sharing

Simkn

12 hours ago, tonyot said:

You`ve done a brilliant job,..... what a nice Matilda. The driver looks a bit like Mark from Transport Models in Preston LOL!!

Cheers,

Tony

I'd never noticed but......🤫

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Red Five said:

Great work. Especially for a first time. Love the colour scheme. Did you use blue or green/grey? I've got a tamiya one to build which says blue but we all know its green/grey silly tamiya. Lol

Look forward to seeing more. Maybe a crusader. 

Thanks for sharing

Simkn

Thanks all for the kind comments. I did use the blue as stated in the kit although I was aware that it wasn’t right. After I’d applied the buff top coat it greened up the blue a bit.

14 hours ago, tonyot said:

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks Tony, I’ll have to go into transport models and discretely compare! Pretty intriguing 😀

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:41 PM, GRK said:

like I should have clear coated the rust/chipping layer before applying the hairspray as I've rubbed too hard in a few places and revealed the base coat.   I also think I was a bit too heavy on the final spray of buff and toned things down a bit too much. 

Hi GRK,

Welcome to the Dark Side.

And for a first attempt and using several 'new' techniques, that's a mighty fine AFV. Your figures need a special mention too, because not everyone can manage the eyes as well as you have!

Regarding the quote above.

First off, I don't always use a gloss varnish to coat the model before chipping.  Whether I do, or don't, depends on the colour of the finished vehicle. Sometimes you can get a good effect by chipping some areas back through the rust, to the base coat. TBH though, I never bother with a rust/red lead oxide layer. If I want rust/red lead oxide to 'show through' I brush paint it over the final coat of paint (whether that be the actual colour of the vehicle, or whitewash) Recently, I've started using Sepia coloured Sigma Micron Archival Ink pens to apply the small chips, the very last thing to go onto the model before a matt coat.

On the subject of the matt coat, I do think your figures need one. Their uniforms look too shiny to me. I'd recommend Winsor and Newton Matt Acrylic Varnish.... superb stuff. It'd take the shine off the sun! Some might say that your Matilda could do with a coat as well, but I'm always in two minds about that. Matt paint will polish up, especially if there's fine sand blowing about and lots of sweaty hands, arms, legs, boots and bums sliding all over it. I also think a 'satin' finish makes a well weathered AFV look more metallic, but that might just be me.

Whatever, you've produced a great Matilda and I look forward to seeing your diorama. I hope you produce a WIP and join us loonies in the Diorama's forum!

Rearguards,

Badder.

Edited by Badder

On 14/10/2019 at 23:26, Badder said:

On the subject of the matt coat, I do think your figures need one. Their uniforms look too shiny to me. I'd recommend Winsor and Newton Matt Acrylic Varnish.... superb stuff. It'd take the shine off the sun! Some might say that your Matilda could do with a coat as well, but I'm always in two minds about that. Matt paint will polish up, especially if there's fine sand blowing about and lots of sweaty hands, arms, legs, boots and bums sliding all over it. I also think a 'satin' finish makes a well weathered AFV look more metallic, but that might just be me.

Hi Badder, thanks for the comments. I did give the model a thin spay of Vallejo matt coat but it's too thin and its all still too shiny. Do you airbrush the Winsor and Newton varnish-if so does it need thinning and what with? I went and bought a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity and now I'm terrified of clogging it up and knackering's it! 

The Infinity is a great AB & is easy to dismantle. It's survived all my abuses! If all else fails there's always matt varnish in a rattle can, I use it for large areas as it's less faff.

Pete