Badgers Hobbit Hole Diorama

Hi All

Although I've been very quiet on the forum over the last month or two due in part to work being manic, but also partly due to a "blip" in my motivation, I've not been entirely idle.

This is the forgeworld hobbit hole set which out of the packet consists of the front wall, two windows and two chimneys.

The main structure is built from blue foam offcuts skimmed with cheap ready mix plaster before being covered with my usual sand and shot blasting powder mix.

Once painted I covered it in static grass using my machine.

Foliage was a mix of model railway packs (mostly woodland scenics) with some grass clumps and flowers I bought from Ebay.

The fence, runner bean frame and log rack were all scratch built from bass wood or cut down matchsticks. Logs were dried dandelion roots.

Cabbages, broccoli, and the runner beans were model railway accessories. Apples were balls of green stuff on a scratch built tree.

All in all it's taken about a month of work on and off and has been the most fun model I've made in a long time.

Was really pleased when forgeworld contacted me to see if they could use my photos on their website.

20191006_171213 20191006_171235 20191006_171242 20191006_171325 20191006_171443 20191006_171534

Can you spot the apple stealing hobbit under the tree that the others are shouting out to get back to chopping logs?

All the best

Ben

• Like 45

WOW - you may have been a bit quiet lately - but this was worth waiting for - STUNNINGLY BRILLIANT!!!

Great work mate - Steve

• Thanks 1

Hi Ben. Well that really is awesome!! Absolutely superb scenic modelling! And I'm not surprised Forgeworld got in touch about your photos of it. :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

No thank you. We don't want any more visitors, well-wishers, or distant relations!

Oh go on then. The more the merrier!

That's a fantastic diorama Ben. A real 'Box full of jewels'. Good luck with your dealings with Forgeworld. Free kit's for life would be nice??

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Hi all

After a pretty stressful day at work it was great to read such positive comments.

Big thanks to @Ozzy @Corsairfoxfouruncle @BIG X @PlaStix @Badder

Cheers chaps!

All the best

Ben

6 hours ago, Badder said:

Good luck with your dealings with Forgeworld. Free kit's for life would be nice??

Rearguards,

Badder

Given the exorbitant price of them, that would indeed be a prize worth winning!

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, OutcastJoel said:

I don't normally like fantasy much but this is awesome! 

Great result getting used by forgeworld too, that is a cracking endorsement when someone uses your model to sell their kit!

Thanks chap.

Really enjoyed this as a total break and change of pace from my more usual 1/72 armour.

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 17:54, badger said:

Cool - made it onto Forgeworlds website- pleased with that!

All the best

Ben

2019-10-10_05-52-43

You are a PROFESSIONAL!!!  In every sense of the word - oh and a REALLY NICE GUY too - which is a bit of a rare combination :)

Well done mate URA*

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, BIG X said:

You are a PROFESSIONAL!!!  In every sense of the word - oh and a REALLY NICE GUY too - which is a bit of a rare combination :)

Well done mate URA*

Thanks mate - much appreciated :like:

• Like 1

In case it was too cryptic - URA* means YOU ARE A STAR - and never a most honest word was spoken - just my own take on text speak - TOP MODEL!!!

• Thanks 1

On 10/10/2019 at 17:54, badger said:

Cool - made it onto Forgeworlds website- pleased with that!

All the best

Ben

2019-10-10_05-52-43

Nice!!

I have my.... Eerr differences with forgeworld so as nice as some of their stuff is (if it were properly cast) I won't be having any more of it any time soon 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Nice!!

I have my.... Eerr differences with forgeworld so as nice as some of their stuff is (if it were properly cast) I won't be having any more of it any time soon 

Thanks Adam - sorry to hear that.

It is true some of their stuff would benefit from some casting quality control!

On 20/11/2019 at 22:25, BIG X said:

In case it was too cryptic - URA* means YOU ARE A STAR - and never a most honest word was spoken - just my own take on text speak - TOP MODEL!!!

No worries Steve - I managed to follow it as one of the "advantages" of working with the youth of today is you end up picking up all kinds of new words and abbreviations. Thanks again for the support.

On 20/11/2019 at 22:54, John Laidlaw said:

I'm sorry I missed this the first time around, but it's brilliant!

Not a problem John - you've found it now and thanks for the comments.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 2

This is my first visit to the Diorama RFI's section.

Glad I did, because this hobbit hole diorama is awesome!

I do like non-military scenes a lot (though not to the total exclusion of military ones).

Love your work and hope your day job gets a bit less stressful.

:clap:

• Thanks 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, badger said:

and change of pace from my more usual 1/72 armour.

Love the Hobbit hole scene, really impressive.

Now, is the next one the Peter Rabbit tank killer scene?

https://flashbak.com/peter-rabbit-tank-killer-when-sven-hassel-met-beatrix-potter-16410/

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cheers chaps- hopefully something festive I've been working on will appear soon.

The idea of Peter Rabbit taking down tanks is genius!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 12:58 PM, badger said:

Cheers chaps- hopefully something festive I've been working on will appear soon.

The idea of Peter Rabbit taking down tanks is genius!

All the best

Ben

Congrats on the dio making their website. There aren't many who ever get their work endorsed in such a way.

How about Peter Rabbit taking out a Fox armoured car with an RPG? (Rocket Propelled Greens) Something like sprouts perhaps?

Festive rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Badder said:

Congrats on the dio making their website. There aren't many who ever get their work endorsed in such a way.

How about Peter Rabbit taking out a Fox armoured car with an RPG? (Rocket Propelled Greens) Something like sprouts perhaps?

Festive rearguards,

Badder

Many thanks - was very pleased they chose it.

Ha - if I could sculpt that would be a cracking idea! Parsnip bazooka maybe?

All the best 

Ben 

• Haha 1