AZ Model BF109G-6AS

Finally this is off the shelf of doom. This was a nightmare kit - I really love the AZ Model 109s and I really enjoyed the G2 (can be seen alongside in the photos) I made previously but this G-6AS kit has serious fit issues. They can be semi-resolved by following this thread: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235010494-az-model-109-g-6as-fit-problems/

The fit issues had knock on effects joining the fuselage and wings together. Then the canopy wouldn't fit without some surgery and a lot of putty. Then I lost the cowling machine guns as they are tiny so had to buy metal replacements :( Painting was laborious due to me choosing the complex box art scheme :) My mistake - the red stripe is too dark due to not using white as a primer which makes the "2" seem a bit bright now. So close to ditching this one! But at least its done and I didn't hurl it in the bin....so this an aircraft flown by Friedrich-Karl Muller August 1944 of 1./NJGr.10 according to the box:

20191006_135908.jpg

20191006_135919.jpg

20191006_135934.jpg

20191006_140222.jpg

20191006_140303.jpg

• Like 21

Never throw a model in the bin. Display it as a reminder as to what went wrong, what went right and improve on. Putting the 'red' aside, to me, it looks like a good job. As a matter of interest, do you know the story behind the red undercarriage leg? :shrug:

Stuart

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Never throw a model in the bin. Display it as a reminder as to what went wrong, what went right and improve on. Putting the 'red' aside, to me, it looks like a good job. As a matter of interest, do you know the story behind the red undercarriage leg? :shrug:

Stuart

Thanks! I think the red undercarriage colour indicates to the ground crew that the AS had different fuel (higher octane I think, not sure on details)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pizzapaolo said:

Thanks! I think the red undercarriage colour indicates to the ground crew that the AS had different fuel (higher octane I think, not sure on details)

That's correct.

I like your red better than the decal's...

I wanted to like AZ's 109s but fit and the skinny nose put me off, especially when Eduard will likely add a 1/72 109 to their excellent 190 series...

That said, yours looks really nice, like the camo, could easily pass for 1/48.

Matt

4 hours ago, Mattlow said:

I wanted to like AZ's 109s but fit and the skinny nose put me off, especially when Eduard will likely add a 1/72 109 to their excellent 190 series...

Thanks Matt - do you reckon Eduard would do 1/72? They seem to have given up on that scale. Would love a royal class x4 combo 1/72 109 boxing if you're reading Eduard, thanks 😂

• Like 1

Just working on the fact they've scaled down the 190s...

A series of 1/72 Eduard 109s would, apart from Tamiya's singular foray into that market,  represent the best available kit - just as has happened with the 1/72 190s... Seems a logical move to me..

Matt