Airfix 1/72 Hurricane I Fabric Wing

Well here's my latest, the recent Airfix 1/72 Hurricane with the early fabric wings in the markings of 85 Sqn during the Battle of France. A really lovely kit, went together well, although the undercart is a touch fiddly. One thing, I absolutely loathed the canopy - framing was wrong, sits funny, the angle on the front screen doesn't look right at all - so I used the glasshouse from an old mould Airfix Hurri I had sitting around. It's too thick but still looks better IMHO.

I changed the decals as I'm 99.99999% certain from looking at photos that the original aircraft was coded "G" but with this style G. Anyway I'm happy with it.

Paints are all Humbrol enamel, 163 for the Dark Green, 29 for the Dark Earth, and 33 and 34 for the Night(Black) and White respectively. Gloss and matt coats were my newly discovered Oceanlack varnishes which are simply amazing. Weathering is a panel wash, pastels and a silver artist pencil. Antenna is smoke coloured invisible thread.

Not perfect by any means (none of mine ever are!) and there was a bit of silvering but overall I'm happy.

Thanks for looking!

Tim

4hpK6Ek.png

LcJ5ES9.png

WyzYZ0R.png

AnJT7zs.png

cXJYKdF.png

• Like 28

2 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Nice! I hope my Hurc turns out as nice as yours, if I ever finish it.

Chris

I've seen the progress photos of your Hurri and I'm sure it will turn out much nicer than mine ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

I've seen the progress photos of your Hurri and I'm sure it will turn out much nicer than mine ;)

I have yet to start the painting process. That's the part that always gets me. I get a bit nervous and twitchy. I haven't yet decided whither to use my airbrush ( with which I have practically no experience ) or a hairystick ( which I haven't used for large areas and multi-coloured camo in many years ).  I know I'll have to evacuated the bowel or get off the pot soon.

Chris

• Haha 1

Thanks Corsair! I have the 1/48 old mould Airfix with the 85 Sqn markings in the stash and like you I have big soft spot for those markings. They always make me think of Derek Robinson's wonderful novel "Piece of cake". I was actually thinking of breaking it out on finishing this but have a P-47 next on the starting blocks.