Aviatik 'Berg' D.I

• 1 month later...

Hi all,
The Aviatik 'Berg' D.1 was an aircraft that had many and varied camouflage schemes that were applied.
They ranged from plain varnished wood to streaking, sponged colours, solid colours joined by zig-zag borders and lozenge.
The Austro-Hungarian applied lozenge was much larger than the German equivalent and was either uniform shaped hexagons or 'squashed' hexagons.
This particular aircraft was manufactured by the 'Aviatik' Company, so had their standard uniform sized hexagon lozenge.

The decals supplied in the kit are not the best and have thicker than normal backing sheets.
Also they are not 'cookie cut' and need to be accurately cut out from the backing sheets.
They are thin and care is needed when applying them as they are easily torn.

I've primed the surfaces with white as this brings out the colours more accurately. 'Tamiya' Smoke was used (thinned 50/50 with X20a) to apply slight pre-shading before the decals were applied.  
Here's the lower left wing as an example. Post weathering will be applied later in the build.

Mike

lozon1.jpg

Hi all,
All of the decals have now been applied.
Also I've added some post-shading, although there's still final weathering and sealing coat to be applied.

Now it's onto the myriad of photo-etch parts for the fuselage,

Mike

lozon4.jpg

lozon5.jpg

lozon6.jpg

• Like 5

Hi all,
Thanks for your encouraging comments.
The radiator grill, which is photo-etch, was annealed to allow it to be bent around an appropriate former to shape it to the front of the fuselage.
Annealing also creates the 'heated' look of a radiator.
It was then secured in position using thin CA adhesive under the edges only, otherwise the adhesive would seep under the grill and block the cooling holes,

Mike.

grill.jpg

grill2.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,
The tail skid was mounted on a forked swivel fitted into the bottom of a 3-ply wood covered streamlined fairing.
This allowed the tail skid to pivot up and down as well as swivel.
The type of suspension for the tail skid consisted of double sprung rings, the ends of which were looped over extended support bars located on the bottom edge of the fuselage.
The other end of the rings were attached to the forward end of the tail skid.
This was done using ‘ANYZ’ Black braided line 0.5 mm diameter (AN011),

Mike

tailbungee2.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
I've now added all of the necessary photo-etch parts to the fuselage and lower wing halves.
Also the main undercarriage, a windscreen (which wasn't supplied in the kit) and a flare pistol and cartridge rack (not supplied in the kit, but often carried on this aircraft).
The whole lot has been sealed with a semi-matte lacquer, ready for a 'Flory Models' clay weathering wash.

I've still got to add a small pipe to the radiator condenser assembly and two cross bracing cable at the rear of the engine bay. These will be attached to the underside of the upper wing centre section.
Also the propeller shaft access hole.

Then it's onto pre-rigging and fitting the wings

Mike

sealed1.jpg

sealed2.jpg

sealed3.jpg

sealed4.jpg

sealed5.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,
Just a few minor additions.
The upper wing was cross braced from the top of the rear cabane struts to the bottom of the opposite rear cabane struts.
These are not detailed in the kit. I've drilled holes for adding the cross bracing through the cockpit front decking later in the build.
The 'ProperPlane' Knoller-Jaray propeller has a 2.0 mm diameter tube added for mounting into the fuselage.
The small pipe on the top of the radiator condenser assembly has also been added, using 0.4 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube.

Now it's onto weathering with clay wash, pre-rigging the wings and fitting them, which I know already will give me problems with alignment!!

Mike

propshaft.jpg

prophole.jpg

condenserpipe.jpg

condenserpipe2.jpg

deckcrossbracing.jpg

holesdecking.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
I've applied the 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt clay wash to give a 'subtle' grimy look - I added a few drops of washing up liquid to break the surface tension of the wash to help it spread more over the model. The wash wash applied by brush.
Once the required amount was wiped away with a very slightly damp tissue and brush, I sealed it all with 'Alclad' Semi-Matte (ALC-312) lacquer.
I've also prepared the rigging and control lines.

The next step is to install the pre-rigged lines and fit the wings, so as to be able to complete the rigging.

Mike 

washon.jpg

flory1.jpg

flory2.jpg

flory3.jpg

flory4.jpg

prerig1.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
The tail unit is now rigged with cross bracing cables and rudder and elevator control lines.
A combination of 0.12 mm and 0.08 mm mono-filament with either 0.4 mm or 0.5 mm diameter Nickel-Silver tube and 'Gaspatch' metal 1:48th scale turnbuckles (Types A and C).

Mike

tailrigged2.jpg

tailrigged1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi all,
I spotted that the upper surfaces of the lower wings, at the forward wing root area, had protective ‘walkways’ fitted, presumably to protect the wing surfaces from being damaged whilst the engine area was being worked on by ground crew (too far forward for pilot’s access).
As no details of this could be found, I’ve assumed this was possibly reinforced plywood fitted under the lozenge linen wing covering or a thin metal design and fitted over the lozenge linen covering of the wings.
I decided, more for aesthetics, that I'd use metal mesh from 'RB Productions', which was cut to share and secured in position using thin CA adhesive.
They were then weathered using 'Flory Models' Dark Dirt and Grime clay washes and then dusted with pigments. 

Mike

walkway3.jpg

walkway2.jpg

walkways.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all,
The lower wings are fitted now.
Given the wings are pinned into the fuselage at the trailing edge, but only supported at the leading edge by the front spar bracing bar 'resting' on the underside of the fuselage, it leaves the wings liable (with handling) to break free at the front and pivot down on the rear support pins.
There didn't appear to be any additional bracing bar support fitted to the actual aircraft, so with 'poetic license' I've added 'U' tube supports over the bar (at the outer ends) and secured them into the fuselage underside.
They should provide extra support for the wings and prevent 'break away' until the upper wing is finally fitted, 

Mike

bracehoops.jpg

lowwingon1.jpg

lowwingon2.jpg

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 3

Hi all,
The upper wing has now been fitted.
Now it's onto completing the rigging for the flying, landing and cross brace wires.
After that it'll be the propeller and wheels and that's it, apart from the display base,

Mike

topwingon.jpg

• Like 1

Hi all,
The 'ProperPlane' laminated propeller (Knoller-Jaray type) is finished.
Airbrushed with 'Alclad' semi-matte lacquer (312) mixed with 'Tamiya' Clear Orange (X26).
Gloss coated with 'Alclad' Aqua Gloss (600), decals applied (LF Models set 3025).
Finally airbrushed with 'Alclad' semi-matte lacquer (312) with a few drops of 'Tamiya' Hull Red (XF9).
Bosses painted with 'Mr. Colour' Stainless Steel (213). 

Mike

propfinished.jpg

Hi all,
The Aviatik 'Berg' D.1 is now complete, apart from being mounted on its display base (once the case arrives).
Below are a few rough shots of the model and figure on its intended grass mat ('Polak’ Wild Meadow - 4705).
I'll post up more and better completed photographs once its mounted in its display case.

Many thanks to everyone for your comments, encouragement and patience during this build.
Now it's back onto the Italian Macchi M.5 seaplane.

Mike

testshot1.jpg

testshot2.jpg

testshot3.jpg

• Like 3