1:48 Wasserjungfer (kit bash)

• 4 weeks later...

51591012792_c622a9b8d2.jpg

Now that the nose is in a reasonable state, still some bits’n’pieces that need to be fixed but I want to do something different before I get too tied down so it's time to have a look at the nacelles.

At one point I was just going to use the exhausts from the Stuka however along with the P-38 machine-gun nose I found a set of Eduard Brasin P-38 turbochargers and air intakes…

51607039683_0c6fe654dd.jpg

…so my intention is to now use the turbocharges in place of the “normal” exhausts as I really like the look of them on P-38s and will be easier to paint the exhaust stains once the upper wings are fitted.

I’d already glued the exhaust stacks in place so I need to remove these so they were cut flush.

51671166742_86a538ab37_c.jpg

51672206838_5c7f1ba63f_c.jpg

And then filled with some sprue-goo.

51671166717_3f90bf0b71_c.jpg

Recently I’d watched one of Will Patterson’s YouTube videos where he said that he’d added some lacquer paint to help identify which was the “filler” to aid with the cleaning-up process, so not being ashamed of using someone else’s good idea(s) I’ve added some azure blue to my sprue-goo.

The sprue-goo will be left to fully cure, at least overnight and probably 24 hours, then any divots will be refilled and finally sanded flush.

Next I’ll be working out how these will fit to the wings and twin booms…

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, shortCummins said:

I found a set of Eduard Brasin P-38 turbochargers

Nice find. I have a couple of sets for future use. Have a look on the big H site in bargains for Ju87 night exhausts. They're an interesting shape too.

• Like 1

51671175377_a47eb3b2c5.jpg

There were some rivets that were too deep as well as some wayward panel lines that needed some attention so theses were filled with sprue-goo.

51671209467_73a6ee4fd3_c.jpg

51672010171_450846b897_c.jpg

The sprue-goo was cleaned-up…

51672010161_8754015d7d_c.jpg

51671209427_e3edc4f03c_c.jpg

51671209437_9f3a416e4b_c.jpg

…and a coat of black paint was used to check the amendments.

51672787884_6a1ac02876_c.jpg

51672109476_6e81b9531f_c.jpg

Then I replaced the missing rivets and re-scribed some of the panel lines.

51673377957_641a99d3a0_c.jpg

I wanted to represent a “piano” type hinge to the gun bays so I glued some stretched sprue along to top of these panels.

51674420603_caa69db0b9_c.jpg

These hinges are a little difficult to see at the moment, being on black?, I’m sure that when their painted light blue that they’ll show up better.

Next I’ll be working out how the nacelles will fit to the wings and twin booms…

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 6

Nice progress as ever John. I agree the Brassin P38 exhausts are really nice, I’ve got a set myself for my P-38m. I like the effect of the spruce as a hinge too.

James

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 81-er said:

Nice progress as ever John. I agree the Brassin P38 exhausts are really nice, I’ve got a set myself for my P-38m. I like the effect of the spruce as a hinge too.

James

thanks James

I'm hoping that the "hinges" will be noticeable but not too noticeable once they've had the camo' applied

rgds

John(shortCummins)

1 hour ago, Thom216 said:

If it's not too late, maybe you could fudge up some Luftwaffe-style superchargers, like that on the FW-190 V18.

spacer.png

thanks for the idea Thom216

at this point nothing is set in stone although I really like the way the P-38's exhaust stains the top of each boom

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shortCummins said:

I shall return

We'll hold you to that! 

I only managed about 1 1/2 hours modelling this weekend due to domestic duties. It's Crimbo tree time next weekend, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Then it will no doubt start to get really cold. And here's me with all these ideas for the latest scratchbuild whizzing around in my head. Bummer!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We'll hold you to that! 

I only managed about 1 1/2 hours modelling this weekend due to domestic duties. It's Crimbo tree time next weekend, so I'm in the same boat as you.

Then it will no doubt start to get really cold. And here's me with all these ideas for the latest scratchbuild whizzing around in my head. Bummer!

it was a really difficult decision however if I can keep my hand in building the Revell Steaman, it looks a good kit and should be straight forward, I know I'll get more bench time after the festivities and I can back to this with a passion.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

It'll be worth the wait, I'm sure John. No point rushing it

James

thanks James

this mojo thing is fickle at times and when "life" gets in the way I think its a good idea to do something different to try an ignite the "spark" again

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1