1:48 Wasserjungfer (kit bash)

48787118393_c107e90d4c.jpg

So having completed my build inspired by ChristianPearce’s Rat Bird

48787036673_7c052e84ee_z.jpg

I enjoyed building that so much and I’ve now ‘got the kit-bash bug’ so I was having a ponder what to do next, I had planned to attempt a ‘car-plane’ something like this…

48787123563_4293697fd8_z.jpg

…however I’ve got this idea buzzing in my head and I’ve decided to attempt something of my own design, so I’m building my multi-engine bi-plane “Wasserjungfer” or “Damselfly”, my schoolboy German is a little bit rusty having left school in the 70’s, so many thanks to Jochen Barett, Rizon and Pete in Links for their help with the translation, I had wanted to name her “Dragonfly” which turns out to be “Libelle” however I think Wasserjungfer is a more apt name.

48787483471_f566053e9a_c.jpg

As I’m sure you can see its basically a twin-boom, triple engined Stuka bi-plane.

I’ve bought two Airfix 1:48 Stuka’s

48787483541_03c2efa615.jpg

These new(ish) Airfix kits, ‘new tool’ 2016, give the ability to either show the engine or have it covered, this will come in handy as I can use both versions to give me the multi-engine look I’m after.

The rear of the cockpit will be open and sporting a rather nifty M124D minigun as its rear defence. This excellent resin kit came from LiveResin.

48787483436_d320780e2a.jpg

The obvious camo’ scheme for this would be a splinter pattern, very tempted with this…

48787123518_aa72cd2375.jpg

However, whilst trawling the internet I came across this, sorry I don’t know who built this or the website it came from but its a really interesting scheme, anyone know if its a ‘real’ scheme?

48787636512_e554cd55ee_c.jpg

I don’t know if this is a “what-if” or “real” scheme but I think it would lend itself to this type of build?

One other potential scheme is all red, ala the Red Baron. This scheme would probably be easier to paint, I’ll have to paint the inside top of the lower wings and underside of the upper wings before fixing them to the fuselage.

I’ve just found this painting by Ajdin Durakovic…

48791699588_315facf2d0_z.jpg

…this is sort of the idea I’m going for, sort of.

Firstly I’ll be making a start on the cockpit, where else?

until next time

as always, any suggestions, criticisms or comments will be gratefully received.

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 12

Aaaaand we're off! (Again).

You really do have the bug, don't you? Well, if you have an itch, scratch it, I say.

On seeing your drawings I thought, with all that wing area and power a rear turret would work. Love the Minigun idea though.

25 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

I don’t know if this is a “what-if” or “real” scheme

It seems to be an early Ju87, going by the 'trousers' on the undercarriage. The codes are early too, so possibly from the time of the Polish invasion.

All over light grey would be appropriate for a prototype, but, how about a splinter pattern in pale and dark blue?

It seems I'm first here so I'll be behind the bar, wrestling a particularly aggressive Porter into submission. Bring your own beermats!

• Like 1

It looks a very interesting project but do you mind if I suggest a possible design tweak? If you're beefing up the rear defence, perhaps it would be better to do something like this:

J8vkz-ulAux96HbfxfkCEy2b2_OjB7-fXwd8l7B0

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Aaaaand we're off! (Again).

You really do have the bug, don't you? Well, if you have an itch, scratch it, I say.

On seeing your drawings I thought, with all that wing area and power a rear turret would work. Love the Minigun idea though.

It seems to be an early Ju87, going by the 'trousers' on the undercarriage. The codes are early too, so possibly from the time of the Polish invasion.

All over light grey would be appropriate for a prototype, but, how about a splinter pattern in pale and dark blue?

It seems I'm first here so I'll be behind the bar, wrestling a particularly aggressive Porter into submission. Bring your own beermats!

Thanks Pete

I had originally thought of a turret but then I saw the minigun and thought it was just the job.

blue and blue splinter is an interesting idea, I've got a while before I have to make my mind up

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Crusty one said:

I think I will pull up a chair if you don't mind👍

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

My first visit to the SF side of BM. May the force be with you.

John

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ok good I’m here and its still early so I can take a seat in the front row. 

thanks chaps, I know this is an aircraft and in theory I could have posted in the "aircraft" but as this is a "flight of fancy" I thought this would be the more appropriate forum.

rgds

John 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gorby said:

It looks a very interesting project but do you mind if I suggest a possible design tweak? If you're beefing up the rear defence, perhaps it would be better to do something like this:

J8vkz-ulAux96HbfxfkCEy2b2_OjB7-fXwd8l7B0

thanks Gorby

I had thought that the minigun would have been responsible for shooting the rear wing and what you've suggested is a more practical design, I'll see what it looks like when I get around to that end of the aircraft but I think I'll need a central connection to keep the booms inline? I had thought of having the rear wing at the top of the fins, a bit like the OV-10 Bronco

rgds

John

• Like 1

I've not heard of dieselpunk before and I've just spent a fair proportion of the morning looking at the amazing and sometimes hilarious designs. I absolutely love this one (by someone called Inago )

2143207189?profile=original

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I've not heard of dieselpunk before and I've just spent a fair proportion of the morning looking at the amazing and sometimes hilarious designs. I absolutely love this one (by someone called Inago )

2143207189?profile=original

isn't this great, so much food for thought

rgds

John

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I was mainly thinking about the FW 261 design:

http://www.luft46.com/fw/fw261.html

and the Arado Ar E.340:

http://www.luft46.com/arado/are340.html

ohh, those look interesting

spacer.png

spacer.png

I still worried about getting the booms straight

rgds

John

• Like 3

48851879596_5eee831f80.jpg

As ‘normal’ I’m starting the build with the cockpit.

Now this will be a little bit different from the instructions as I’m going to alter the radio operators/rear gunners area to allow for the minigun. I’ll also be adding flight crew, I’ve got some in the spares box I’ll just need to identify which ones to use.

After studding the cockpit I have to say I’m a little disappointed with Arfix, the plastic is very soft, almost rubbery, and the mouldings aren’t very crisp, this could be because of the type of styrene they’ve used?

There are a lot of ejector-pin marks, look at the floor of the rear cockpit…

48852168291_3af905f3dd_c.jpg

48852168241_f080eb93d4_c.jpg

The fit of the pilots seat wasn’t very precise and the rear gunner/radio operators seat was more by luck than judgement.

The side panels are a nice idea, once again the details are very soft, also there was quite a bit of flash, albeit very slight, and if you weren’t look closely you might miss it, this could cause alignment issues?

48851811998_d173266790_c.jpg

The radio details are quite clunky…

48852168116_839794ab55_c.jpg

…and the rear of the radios is like this…

48852167986_c6466eca96_c.jpg

…dry-fitting the radios shows that you’ll be able to see the rear of them once fitted, very poor from Airfix I think.

Anyhow, nothing that a new scalpel blade and strips of styrene can’t fix, I just think that if I were just starting in the hobby this lack of attention to detail might put me off when it’s such a “new” kit.

Backs and a bit of wiring added to the radios.

48853053872_84a32a161d_c.jpg

As I’m not using the kit supplied gun magazines so I’ve removed them from the side panel.

I also wanted to add some extra wiring and photo etch, airscale PE48 DET, to the side panels just to dress them up a wee bit.

48852861651_b5b5c980da_c.jpg

next I’ll be sorting out some of the ejector pin marks and painting the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

• Like 10

13 hours ago, Thom216 said:

Loved the Ratbird and this is looking just as promising. Awaiting the updates!

Thanks Thom

you know its funny "normally" building and detailing the cockpit is normally one of my favourite parts of any build, even though I know that 99% of it won't be seen! However on this I'm wanting to quickly get it finished so that I can move on to the airframe but I know that if I don't pay enough attention to the cockpit I'll regret it so patience is what I'm trying to apply, with difficulty.

rgds

John

• Like 1

48852570788_cabf3ec8ba.jpg

I needed to sort out the more visible ejector pin marks and fill some of the unused holes.

The rear of the cabin floor was where most of the visible work was required.

48860092136_7de4fff4e6_c.jpg

At this point I’ve not fitted the rear bulkhead as I’ll be removing the aft part of the fuselage and turning it into one of the booms, I’m not sure where I need cut the fuselage just yet and I might not need the rear bulkhead?

Both fuselage sides also needed some attention.

48860092091_de8d4686bd_c.jpg

All of the interior parts were given a coat of my favourite UMP/Stynylrez black primer.

48864393633_4df14c85c2_c.jpg

48864914241_23f57e70f7_c.jpg

48864914181_d0a5701c52_c.jpg

48865113287_15eb523a18_c.jpg

48864393373_d01252c2f0_c.jpg

48864393283_3c8e31ac4d_c.jpg

Once the primer had cured I gave the main cockpit parts a coat of Alkan RML02

48865309491_18fb2182c5_c.jpg

48865309451_7e50805ced_c.jpg

next I’ll be adding colour details to the cockpit.

until next time

rgds

John(shortCummins)

Edited by shortCummins
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Biggles87 said:

It doesn’t look like one of Aifix’s best efforts, I think I’m glad I didn’t invest in one. I can make enough of a hash of things without having to sort out problems with the basic kit.

john

you and me both John

I'm really surprised as I've been reading good things about Airfix's latest offerings, I've got a English Electric Lightening in the stash which I'll have to have a good look at.

rgds

John

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

I like the look of this. I'm mired in GB stuff at the moment but you've given me ideas......Thank You :D

Thanks SS, I blame Pete in Links, its all his fault 😄 as he went and showed me some of his scratch Maschinen Kreiger builds, you should also check out The Crusty One's P-Dirty Eight 

rgds

John

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, shortCummins said:

Thanks SS, I blame Pete in Links, its all his fault 😄 as he went and showed me some of his scratch Maschinen Kreiger builds, you should also check out The Crusty One's P-Dirty Eight 

John

Pete in Lincs has a lot to answer for :D Crusty One's build is looking good too and clearing his stash down a fair bit.

• Like 1