Off the beaten track...

...With Heller's lovely (but occasionally flawed) 1/24 Ferguson TE-20 tractor. This is out of my normal shopping zone but given we were on holiday and my eldest son, now a paramedic, has had a lifelong interest in tractors and dad was suitably oiled after completing a 'gin trail' tasting challenge, the scene was set for a little online purchasing.

A few clicks later and the kit was priority delivered to our self catering property. All seemed very promising with the contents and the potential for weathering was obvious, so I set myself a simple brief of 'well worn but fully functional in a usually dusty environment'. The steering wheel's had a bit of 'flat' sprayed on since but this is how it otherwise is.

A nice, crystal clear acrylic case and base is on order from a quality outfit in Brighton and this'll grow a rutted, single track base, maybe with a bit of rustic fencing and so forth; we'll see, as I'm a dio novice and need to play catch up.

It's often said in modelling circles that wandering away from your usual subjects is a good thing in growing experience and keeping things 'fresh'. That was certainly the case here and what appears perhaps to be a rather mundane piece of engineering is actually hugely interesting once you do a bit of history sleuthing on the web - the little Fergie was Sir Edmund Hillary's choice back in 1958, when he took three to the South Pole - check this out http://int.masseyferguson.com/antarctica2-hillary.aspx 

Fergies coming off the line in Coventry between 1946 and 1956 were grey. Mine has wound up with a funky farmer, who fanced theirs in a more fetching shade of 'russet'. This is what 'cha get when you hard weather that colour...

Fergie-TE-33.jpg 

Fergie-TE-34.jpg 

Fergie-TE-35.jpg

Fergie-TE-36.jpg

Fergie-TE-37.jpg

Fergie-TE-38.jpg

TTFN

Steve

Edited by Dances With Wolves
spelling
  • Like 28
  • Haha 1

Wonderful work Steve, your weathering is just superb! Have to say I'm not 100% convinced by the blue steering wheel though....!! :)

Excellent 'Little grey russet Fergie'......!!

Keith

PS please show us pics when she's on her dio base!

17 minutes ago, bhouse said:

That's superb.

Maybe I should follow your practice on my future holidays!

Cheers Brian!

I should add that I only bought the kit on hols - it was built and finished at home. Can't rule out repeating the whole holiday purchase thing again next year lol!

TTFN

Steve 

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Wonderful work Steve, your weathering is just superb! Have to say I'm not 100% convinced by the blue steering wheel though....!! :)

Excellent 'Little grey russet Fergie'......!!

Keith

PS please show us pics when she's on her dio base!

Thanks Keith.

Technically, I guess the steering wheel should be black but my funky farmer said that was so passé. As I've seen 'Split' several times and the funky farmer 'had the light' I was in no position to resist...

I'll definitely post shots on the base. 🙂

TTFN

Steve 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

Lovely! I have this kit too, I'm looking forward to building it one day and I'll be happy if it turns out half as nice as yours!

Hi Jeroen.

Thanks for that.

Seems every one of these I've seen finished ends up different - much looking forward to enjoying what you do with yours!

TTFN

Steve

Wow!!!

Your Fergie looks fantastic, as said before, please show us some pictures when you finished your diorama.

The weathering looks perfect, what technic did you use? Hairspray or chipping fluid for the "body"?

Tires and wheels fantastic top.

Cheers

Marco F

3 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Wow!!!

Your Fergie looks fantastic, as said before, please show us some pictures when you finished your diorama.

The weathering looks perfect, what technic did you use? Hairspray or chipping fluid for the "body"?

Tires and wheels fantastic top.

Cheers

Marco F

Cheers Marco!

Yes, I'll pop some shots of the base up; it won't be anything so grand as a 'dio' per se, just a small section of ground for a bit of background to the Fergie.

The bodywork and rear muguards were rust based, no clear barrier coat, top colour and wet scrub, checking often.

The rest is just a base wash or three and pastel chalks scrubbed in, feathering demarcations where thought appropriate. AMMO's Rust Colours set was a real pleasure to use via a wet palette.       

TTFN

Steve

2 minutes ago, bhouse said:

"Just like the real thing" as Airfix publicity materials used to boast 😄

😁 😁 😁

• Thanks 1

Very convincing weathering and beautifully built. I love it.

In fact the paintwork is close to perfection, with only a few bits disturbing the overall impression (for me, as someone growing up around old farming machines):

- On the steering wheel I'm with keeth. Though to me it is not the colour but the fact it looks quite shiny and new against the very old looking machine. A little dirty wash would add quite a lot, I think.

- The motor would see oily fog or even runs around most of the seelings, these would look dark(ish) and wet against the other parts. Those machines are never ever completely leak-free.

- the hydraulic tap and all of the links, especially around the bars on the back, would be very heavily greased, which again would show in a buildup of dirt mixed with grease around there. Very dark and wet looking.

This is of course critique on a very high level. Your model is beautiful and very well done. I think someday I should build one, too.

18 hours ago, Dances With Wolves said:

The steering wheel's had a bit of 'flat' sprayed on since

1 hour ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Very convincing weathering and beautifully built. I love it.

In fact the paintwork is close to perfection, with only a few bits disturbing the overall impression (for me, as someone growing up around old farming machines):

- On the steering wheel I'm with keeth. Though to me it is not the colour but the fact it looks quite shiny and new against the very old looking machine. A little dirty wash would add quite a lot, I think.

- The motor would see oily fog or even runs around most of the seelings, these would look dark(ish) and wet against the other parts. Those machines are never ever completely leak-free.

- the hydraulic tap and all of the links, especially around the bars on the back, would be very heavily greased, which again would show in a buildup of dirt mixed with grease around there. Very dark and wet looking.

This is of course critique on a very high level. Your model is beautiful and very well done. I think someday I should build one, too.

Hi.

Thanks for that.

Please see my quote at the top - I maybe didn't emphasise enough that the steering wheel is (since the images were taken) 'flat'. 

I understand your advice about oil leaks but in truth (and after a lot of reference photos were garnered) they weren't all affected by oil leaks and there's no shortage of shots of vintage Fergie's that bear that out. I've seen them modelled with huge leaks that would (in real life) drop toxic oil where the farmer drove it - not conducive to soil health and not something that'd be tolerated. I simply went for something like the oil-tight machines I'd referenced, while having fun with the 'dusty' brief. A little AMMO Fresh Engine Oil found its way onto steering knuckles and the like, just for minor contrast but I dropped the leaky look after touring shots of oil tight machines.

Sir Edmund Hillary took several Fergies to the South Pole in 1958. His communiqué, in the wake of the success of the projects reads:

In his now famous telegram he told the ‘Massey-Harris-Ferguson Farming Company’: 
“Despite quite unsuitable conditions of soft snow and high altitudes our Fergusons performed magnificently and it was their extreme reliability that made our trip to the Pole possible. Stop. Thank you for your good wishes = Hillary” 

Oil leaks and such-like, in machines otherwise blessed with 'extreme reliability' is a function of poor maintenance, rather than inherent weakness in design and quality of materials, at least where Fergies are concerned; I don't attribute that to other tractors, where things might be quite different. 

What your point raises is something I meet in modelling often - the concept of absolutes and that there's a 'right' way and a 'wrong' way to approach anything. As my Fergie references revealed, they vary so wildly in finish, from fresh restorations to all varieties of wear, that you can pick and choose from a large menu of choice. 

In any event, as realistic as any model might get, in the final analysis they're all representations and not replications of reality. It's always good to garner third party views of anything put up for forum consumption (and I'm always glad to hear advice and critique) and I thank you for your kindness in taking the time to recount your personal experiences of these things but as I always say to others 'it's your model, so build for your own enjoyment, have no expectations of the result and make sure, above all else, you finish what you start'.

Cheers

Steve  

• Like 4

Steve, nevermind my view on things. You are absolutely right in saying this is your build and your interpretation. There is no right or wrong.

I know some folks dislike critique on a finished piece. To me it is something that is essential in becoming better and something I welcome and expect from others if I take the time to show my work. This is why I will usually offer some constructive critique with my comments. "Good job" and nothing else is just noise (in my book). If I haven't more to say I'll just click the appropriate "like" button. I don't know how you feel about these things, so I offer my apologies if my points felt wrong to you. From time to time I chose the wrong words, being no native speaker. If that happens, just let me know I sounded harsh or was off with my comment. This is no offense, it just happens because I don't know how to express myself better.

My comment came from personal experience around running gear, modern and classic. I know there are machines out there which do not show these signs of usage. As far as I can tell usually they have undergone a thorough restauration recently or have been washed to the last bit for sale. Most restaurations turn tractors into showroom gems better then they were when they left the factory.

39 minutes ago, Dances With Wolves said:

Oil leaks and such-like, in machines otherwise blessed with 'extreme reliability' is a function of poor maintenance, rather than inherent weakness in design and quality of materials, at least where Fergies are concerned; I don't attribute that to other tractors, where things might be quite different. 

Oil leaks does not mean dripping wet with oil in my book, though this happens quite often. Usually you'll see some "fog" around the seals. This is due to the tolerances and materials used in production, the harsh environment and abuse these machines have gotten over time. Soil health wasn't really a concern back in the days. Most farmers I know don't really care to these days.

With those old tractors robustness and reliability was usually achieved by extreme simplicity and overly massive parts, which will continue to work even when worn out considerably.

I missed the part on the shiny, yet flat steering wheel. Sorry for that.

Again, I like your build a lot.

Jan

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Steve, nevermind my view on things. You are absolutely right in saying this is your build and your interpretation. There is no right or wrong.

I know some folks dislike critique on a finished piece. To me it is something that is essential in becoming better and something I welcome and expect from others if I take the time to show my work. This is why I will usually offer some constructive critique with my comments. "Good job" and nothing else is just noise (in my book). If I haven't more to say I'll just click the appropriate "like" button. I don't know how you feel about these things, so I offer my apologies if my points felt wrong to you. From time to time I chose the wrong words, being no native speaker. If that happens, just let me know I sounded harsh or was off with my comment. This is no offense, it just happens because I don't know how to express myself better.

My comment came from personal experience around running gear, modern and classic. I know there are machines out there which do not show these signs of usage. As far as I can tell usually they have undergone a thorough restauration recently or have been washed to the last bit for sale. Most restaurations turn tractors into showroom gems better then they were when they left the factory.

Oil leaks does not mean dripping wet with oil in my book, though this happens quite often. Usually you'll see some "fog" around the seals. This is due to the tolerances and materials used in production, the harsh environment and abuse these machines have gotten over time. Soil health wasn't really a concern back in the days. Most farmers I know don't really care to these days.

With those old tractors robustness and reliability was usually achieved by extreme simplicity and overly massive parts, which will continue to work even when worn out considerably.

I missed the part on the shiny, yet flat steering wheel. Sorry for that.

Again, I like your build a lot.

Jan

Hi.

Thanks for that.

As I mentioned earlier, I welcome critiques; as you rightly say they're (usually) offered to help with improvements and so forth. What critique authors need to bear in mind though (speaking generally) is they're not automatically right and can (and should be) responded to but all in a civilised and respectful way - which is what we've achieved here. 

Your points didn't 'feel wrong' to me - as I've been at pains to emphasise, critique is fine, I just may take a different view but will always explain why, so keep on as you are mate, it's all good and feel free to critique anything I put up going forwards. 🙂

So, for clarity, no hurt feelings here and thanks again for your advice. 🙂

TTFN

Steve  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

Oil leaks does not mean dripping wet with oil in my book, though this happens quite often.

Certainly does with the 1:1 Mini in our garage....!! :)

How refreshing to read such a civilised conversation, unlike on some other modelling forums! 👍

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Outstanding! I love these different subjects.

Your attention to finish detail is quite well done. Really evokes the feel of a well used, critical equipment.

Edited by dnl42

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Certainly does with the 1:1 Mini in our garage....!! :)

How refreshing to read such a civilised conversation, unlike on some other modelling forums! 👍

Keith

Cheers Keith - credit to Schwarz-Brot. 🙂

2 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Outstanding! I love these different subjects.

Your attention to finish detail is quite well done. Really evokes the feel of a well used, critical equipment.

Thanks old bean! 🙂

• Thanks 1

I think that on the whole, farmers try to keep their equipment in good order, with a number of exceptions. It is their livelihood at stake if it breaks down!

The other day, I was following from a distance, a 70's Ferguson tractor. (big beggar it was, too). It was belching enough smoke (thick black stuff), and going slowly enough for me to think it was a steam traction engine. It wasn't until I got close enough to overtake, that I realised my mistake.

Still, I like to look of yours. I would be more than pleased to have built a model to that level...

Cheers, Alan.

1 hour ago, Alan R said:

I think that on the whole, farmers try to keep their equipment in good order, with a number of exceptions. It is their livelihood at stake if it breaks down!

The other day, I was following from a distance, a 70's Ferguson tractor. (big beggar it was, too). It was belching enough smoke (thick black stuff), and going slowly enough for me to think it was a steam traction engine. It wasn't until I got close enough to overtake, that I realised my mistake.

Still, I like to look of yours. I would be more than pleased to have built a model to that level...

Cheers, Alan.

Hi Alan.

Thanks for the nod on this one. 

TTFN

Steve

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

One could be forgiven for thinking you photographed a real tractor and passed it off as a model!

That is so realistic - superb weathering and staining, along with worn and faded paintwork.

Utterly amazing!

:clap:

On 10/31/2019 at 7:03 AM, kapam said:

One could be forgiven for thinking you photographed a real tractor and passed it off as a model!

That is so realistic - superb weathering and staining, along with worn and faded paintwork.

Utterly amazing!

:clap:

Thanks K! The kit was very much a test bed for me in terms of trying out weathering approaches; the result (like most of what I've done previously) was more accident than design but that's ok - it's all learning. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:27 AM, Alpha Delta 210 said:

I love it! The weathering looks just right to my eye, and I like the colour!

Cheers AD!

TTFN

Steve