Recommended method for aircraft camo

Andy350

I need some pointers on how to apply a consistent realistic camo, I suppose this would apply to armoured vehicles.  When I painted the spitfire I masked of the areas I would pain, but it lacks a sense of realism.   Would masking with a different method help, or not masking at all?  Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Andy

There is no one ideal method, it depends upon what you are doing now (brush vs airbrush, enamel vs different acrylics, how you are handling the masking...) and without some idea of this it is difficult to suggest improvements.  Me, I'm happy just brushing enamels freehand, but others would consider that prehistoric.  You are likely to get a range of answers, just try a few.  It might be a good idea to pick a few cheap kits to throw together just for painting experiments, rather than waiting until the end of a possibly long travail and fear fouling up.  Perhaps a use for some of the simpler PM kits being described below.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

There is no one ideal method, it depends upon what you are doing now (brush vs airbrush, enamel vs different acrylics, how you are handling the masking...) and without some idea of this it is difficult to suggest improvements.  Me, I'm happy just brushing enamels freehand, but others would consider that prehistoric.  You are likely to get a range of answers, just try a few.  It might be a good idea to pick a few cheap kits to throw together just for painting experiments, rather than waiting until the end of a possibly long travail and fear fouling up.  Perhaps a use for some of the simpler PM kits being described below.

Hi Graham, I have only completed one Airfix in 30 odd years, and that was the Mk1a Spitfire.  I used flexible masking tape for that one with airbrushed Acrylics, the lines looked too exact, if that makes sense.  I will do as you suggest and pick up some cheap kits to practice on.  Thanks

Andy

RAF camouflage should have a slight overspray, but this is barely visible in 1/72 scale which I model, and having a hard boundary looks better than the fuzzy edges most more ambitious modellers seem to achieve.  In larger scales it is a different matter.  What has been used is laying bluetack "sausages" between the surface and the tailored mask, as this can then allow only a small amount of overspray.  I haven't tried it myself, but from the photos it is certainly better than attempting the same freehand.

• Thanks 1

My favoured method for airbrushing.

Airbrush first colour.

Scale copy of the colour diagram, stuck to the model with bluetak,

then airbrush the camo pattern.

Tempest-Mask-Port-zpsr5m1brel.jpg

My previous method, again airbrushing, for a harder edge was to follow the patern with thinly sliced Tamiya tape,

then mask using Copydex.

Lanc-Masked-Maskol.jpg

Airbrushed-Lanc-copydex.jpg

resulting like this

Ummasked-Lanc-Copydex.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I also like the blue tac method. You can vary the fuzziness of your edges by using smaller or larger diameter "sausages". However it is vital that you spray at right angles to the blue tac, otherwise paint gets under the blue tac and ruins effect - or worse, forms ridges.

This is simple enough on a flat wing, but can get trickier on the fuselage.

My one big revelation this year was you don't have to spray the whole aircraft in one go! E.g. Just do the wings, let them dry and then mask them off completely (I use aluminum foil) before moving on the fuselage). At first this seems to add a lot more time, but the reduction in time spent correcting unwanted overspray etc. more than makes up for it. Also makes it easier to handle the aircraft.

Colin

• Like 2

• 1 month later...