1/288 SIA's B747 - LANDEX Creation kits

Whilst adding the finishing touches to my Ansett 747, I decide to have a play with a kit my wife picked from an Antiques store last weekend.

The B747 kit was produced by Landex Creations, a manufacturer I've never heard of before. Based on the box and contents it looks to be an early 70's piece.

It also a unique 1/288 scale, something I haven't seen before. With not many parts I decided to do a quick, no fuss build.

spacer.png

With the airframe halves and wings glued it was time to fill the gaps and sand the raised panel lines.

spacer.png

An hour later I had it ready for priming and a splash of colour.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Next came some metallic colour for the wings. Once dry I masked the wing centre and added the grey.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Everything was going perfect up until this point.

I decided to add the decals to the body of the aircraft at they stage and found that the kit decals were actually stickers. Not perfect but not a show stopper either.

But when I added the sticker to the tail I realised that the Singapore Airlines logo was yellow with a ' Black' background instead of Blue.

spacer.png

Oh well, I'll just have to get some aftermarket one

Ummm.... 1/288 scale is not common. In fact I couldn't find any at all.

So at this point I decided to print my own. I'd picked up some inkjet decal paper a while ago so I thought I'd give it a try.

While looking for reference pics I stumbled across a great pic of a JAL 747 that took my fancy. If I was going to try making my own decals I might as well try this.

spacer.png

So a couple hours later I had some decals sized, printed and ready to go.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

One side done and dusted. While I'm happy with the way the decals turned out, they are a litte thick. Hopefully once I'm finished with the decals a couple of coats of Future will address that.

• Like 7

And she's done!

Added the grey on the bottom portion of the aircraft, finished and attached the engines and lights. 

1/288 scale is very close to a 1/72 jet for those wondering.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by marevic1
  • Like 4

Lovely work.

I think there is a Revell A380 in 1/288 which might sit nicely alongside.

Aside from that, in the scale there is just a selection of Antonovs that you might stumble across occasionally on eBay.

nice to see someone actually building this kit - I've seen it a few times and got all excited until seeing what is actually in the box which then reminds me why I have always been loyal to Hasegawa. Nice livery choice there