Flybe E195

Hello,

I’m not sure if is the right place to post this. I am looking to build a Flybe E195 soon but am stumped with trying to mix together the right shade of purple. 

I know it’s Pantone 266 but I don’t know how to order as a spray can, or even where to start with going about that.

I usually tend to stick to Revell and Humbrol acrylic paint Brands.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Alistair

The only thing I would know to do would be to find a chip or sample of the actual color and mix my own paint by trial and error. Have you tried contacting the airline? The maintenance department may be willing to end you a sample. Alternatively, you can purchase a chip directly from Pantone. Just on a whim, I Googled "Pantone 266" and found this page: https://www.pantone.com/color-finder/266-C

A plastic chip of the color cost $19.00 here in HM's Former Colonies,which seems rather pricey to me.

Another alternative is to start with FedEx Purple and adjust it or use it straight from the tin; it's pretty close (https://usbrandcolors.com/fedex-colors/) Xtracolor once made FedEx purple, and I think it may still be available.

• Thanks 1

Google "Pantone car paint" then select "Country: the UK" from the Tools menu. That will throw up several companies who supply aerosols custom matched to whatever Pantone colour you want. Expect to pay somewhere in the range of £9 - £15 plus courier delivery. Try to get a relatively small quantity - a standard 300ml spray is more than enough. Also, in my experience custom cans often spray poorly and I always decant a custom can into my airbrush. If you are intending to brush paint you might be better with an enamel like Xtracolor X303 as suggested by @Space Ranger. It's in stock at Hannants.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for help and ideas to find the right mix and option to paint my E195.

I usually brush paint all my models, and that would likely be the route I’d do go with this one, but having had some experience with Xtracolor paints in the past I find they don’t paint well and take an age to dry. 

Regards,

Alistair McLachlan

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/6/2019 at 9:42 AM, Scotsman07 said:

I usually brush paint all my models, and that would likely be the route I’d do go with this one, but having had some experience with Xtracolor paints in the past I find they don’t paint well and take an age to dry. 

I had that problem and someone at my local club said "warm the paint". Not too much, a warm day in the UK seems to work - 75 F or 25 C ish

• Like 1