Dartstang

Good Morning.

This is a real thing but never flew, and I think was never completed. Dennis tells me its OK for this GB:

191005a Box

After taking opinion here at Britmodeller, I've bought the various RAAF interior greens. One of my local shops has stocks of the new Tamiya lacquers which I had hoped to try out but they don't have anything like XF-5 or indeed any bright green. Are these new? Or, just new in the UK? Has anyone tried them?

Here are the bits and pieces:

191005b Box contents

The Red-roo resin looks to be very good quality. The Academy Mustang has a few problems but it doesn't have the hideous Tamiya/Airfix canopy/windscreen sticking issues.

More shortly,

Alan

• Like 12

I love this!

While they didn't succeed here they did in the US and she eventually evolved into the Piper Enforcer.

This is my model of the original Cavalier III Turbo Mustang.

DSCF1958-M.jpg

• Like 7

For those of you who are into scratch building, in the Airfix Magazine Annual No 4 (Sept 1974) there is a 7 page article by Gerald Scarborough on converting the Airfix 1/24 scale P51D into a Cavalier Mustang.  The article includes 1/24 and 1/72 scale drawings.   Robin.

Edited by Robin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Fun fact: When I first moved to Canberra in the late 80s I would see it parked in the GA area of the airport on the way to work every day.

Wish I could’ve seen that. I don't suppose you have any photo’s of it ? Im always looking for info on these and the PA-48 Enforcers. 

Dennis

On 10/19/2019 at 3:53 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Wish I could’ve seen that. I don't suppose you have any photo’s of it ? Im always looking for info on these and the PA-48 Enforcers. 

Dennis

Sorry Dennis, I was not interested in aircraft photography in those days, no phones to take a quick snap :D

Here are a couple of links with images form those who did manage to snap it.:

ADF Serials: A67-187 and Jetphotos.net

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you Dennis for the slightly nagging but very welcome prod.

I have been really impressed with this kit. The instructions are just brilliant and the kit has a number of corrections for the kit as well as the conversion itself.

191018a Wheel well scoring.

191019 wheel well fitted

First up is replacing the wheel well. So, this is an improvement letting the wheel well extend back to the wing spar. This involves an awful lot of scribing but, after my fingers had healed up, worked pretty well. 

191205a Wing Bending

Another improvement is this template to correct the dihedral. The resin wheel well has the correct dihedral cast in.

191213b Post-fettle 2

Here are the wing improvements nearly done: blank on the hole for the pitot, blanks on the cartridge shutes and the resin wheel well better recessed into the wing. Where the resin wheel well is thin to non-existent at the compressed air cannisters/pipes I've built up with some Magic Sculp. That'll let me paint the undersurface black around the cannisters/pipes.

191213a Post-fettle 1

Here are the undersides of wing and fuselage. I've filled the pitot and the cartridge shutes. I've filled two of the ID lights under the starboard wing tip and countersunk the middle one: this is all detailed in the instructions.

I've done a lot of fettling also. The fit of the resin parts is very good. I'm now ready nearly to paint the wheel wells and cockpit and then assemble.

I'd estimate the chance of finishing on time to be 2:1 against!

Alan

• Like 7