Washable paint, white wash

nheather

After some recommendations for washable white wash for tanks and armoured vehicles, most likely on the eastern front.

The stuff I after is that which you can spray on and then weather using water, damp cotton buds etc.

Which makes in your experience are easiest to use and/or give the best results.

Cheers,

Nigel

47 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

How about something like designers gouache? Never tried it myself as a whitewash, but I do use it in my homebrew panel line washes.

Mart

Don't that would work.  It need a to have pretty good quite opaque coverage.  When first applied the tank would have been pretty white, but it isn't very robust and starts to wear off or run off in the elements.

Cheers,

Nigel

Apologies, I shouldn’t have used making a wash with gouache as an example.

On 10/5/2019 at 10:44 AM, nheather said:

have pretty good quite opaque coverage

Gouache is one of the most opaque water colour type paints available and can be reworked back into a liquid form after it dries, much like kids poster paint or that nasty distemper they used to paint ceilings with. (Isn’t distemper what they used to winter camo tanks?).

Artists quality gouache is highly and finely pigmented and you should be able to thin it down to shoot through an airbrush, once dry I’d imagine you’ll be able to spritz it with water to get the weathered whitewash appearance you’re after. As I said, never tried it myself, but I’m thinking that gouache will act in small scale very much like its full scale whitewash counterpart.

Mart