Compiling a Legion

They look nice! I found the Cerastus knights very pleasant to build but surprisingly time-consuming to paint. I think the shield is quite involved, lots of nooks and crannies.

The green you've picked is very vibrant, it definitely fits their background well.

Will

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

They look nice! I found the Cerastus knights very pleasant to build but surprisingly time-consuming to paint. I think the shield is quite involved, lots of nooks and crannies.

The green you've picked is very vibrant, it definitely fits their background well.

Will

Absolutely.

I was about to say the same as well. Thats the reason I only managed to almost finish one last week. The trim takes very long and you always have to line it after it is done and go back at it for some highlights. On the lance and shield I tried some color effects and yes, this added some more time spend. The same goes for the structure itself went back and forth painting additional details, adding shades and highlights with various products. But I find it really hard to capture the effect in the pictures.

For the green I have to take mixing approaches. As I am mostly doing armour, I usually have drab greens. So always need to add either yellows or blues to change it to a more heraldry suitable color.

spacer.png

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 3

Now most of the painting on the figures is done now. Have to do some finishing touches. They are tedious, but fun to do. I am always amazed how they come to life once the trim and the details go on. It is worthwhule to take some extra time to pick out the one or other spot and paint it in a different color.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well with the knights out of the way almost, I went back building and magentizing the Wolfhounds and started painting a Legio Mortis reaver.

That is where he stands atm.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The black carapace was looking really boring so I went for the red one with a lot ot sponge stippling with several blends of red followed by glazing back and forth to avhieve the textured and mottled look it is now.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 4

So much trim, to keep my sanity I build the warhounds and added some stencilsto the reaver. It also got it´s second arm weapon option, vulcano cannon.

Still some armour parts to trim. Gosh!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Thanks Will. While I airbrushed most of the plates I tried the back plate with only sponge stippling back and forth between Vallejo Model Air Hull Red and Model color Flat Red until the shades and gradients looked right to me. And some glazing and washing with darker reds and some rust wash to bind it all together and finish it off. That was a whole new approach for me. Never tried that before. But in the end it turned out quite appealing to me for this kind of model. I will apply trhis technique more often now.

Hey there, found another creepy Legio. Red and black sinister, what else can you wish for?! Found several schemes online, not so happy with the plain red trim. So started with a satin black without any discoloration, in my opinion this needs to be plain, there will be some grayish flamea anyway. But I tried some stuff on the trim. Used some reds, oranges and rust tones on a metallic base. For me its mostly about the trim currently. Here is my approach.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

Hey @Stephen W, thank you.

i was of course doing the wrong order , but wanted to get an idea how to do the red. Now I got stencils for some flames. Stippled on some Revell Mausgrau, then with Vallejo chain mail silver. I will finish with stippling some Nuln Oil.

spacer.png

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Built 4 more reaver chassis. All base painted now and started on the chassis of the Legio Interfector Reaver (Insanae Mentis), who will be commanded by the Princeps of the Manipel of a Reaver and two Warhounds. Spent a fes more miniutes than just black base coat with dry brushing of silver by adding various different washes and some accents before the dry brush. Some differently colored washed are now on again after the dry brush to accentuate the parts a bit more.

spacer.png

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Carts said:

I know next to "sod all" about Warhammer,but these minatures are stunning,fantastic paint job.

Hey there Carts, thankyou very much. They are great to do, something between a real model kit and a Wargaming Mini.

Got some work on the Legio Interfector maniple done. I found the plain black and red trim ist a bit boring. So I decided to treat the frame much more in the theme "touched by Nurgle". Ans give the red a more rusty shade. Washes and color modulation on the trim still to come. Might also be tempted to leave some of the leg armour off.

spacer.png

• Like 3

The three Stooges wating for some base work ;)

spacer.png

The mottled red on the Interfector Reaver trim makes him look interesting enough for my taste, so that there is no need to modulate the panels a lot.

He looks really creapy with his posture from the front. But if you ask me, I like the Legio Mortis one the most.

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 2

Good afternoon all. We got something more done.

1st Working on the 4th Reaver as a legio Tempestus Titan.

Tried something else here, al painting done by paintbrush, no airbrush this time.

spacer.png

2nd, still working on the Legio Interfector Maniple and got 2 bases done. The 2nd Wolfhound is at the "trim-stage"

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...