F/A-18E Colours

The_Lancaster

Hey guys,

I'm currently building Revell's new 1/32 F/A-18E and after fighting the kit for some time I'm finally rounding on the painting stage. Now, I have seen colour callouts, even some AK/MiG colour paint sets for USN Superbugs, but I'm just wondering what other's experiences are and what paints have worked best for them. Preferably I'm looking for Tamiya Acrylic or Mr. Hobby's Mr. Colour range paints to use for the two-tone grey that they wear currently.

FA18E.jpg

Any help's greatly appreciated

16 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

Not sure Tamiya offers any paint matched to the ones used on USN Super Hornets, but Mr. Color offers them all and they are IMHO very good. Colors are:

308 for FS 36375 (the lighter grey)

307 for FS 36320 (the darker grey)

Ah brilliant that’s fab! Thank you! 

• 1 month later...

Giorgio N has posted the correct answer. Of course with the effects of sunlight fading and the polarising effect of looking at a model from 40 cm away (scales up to 5-10 metres in real life), going for the lighter shade is the winner. 

I use the Mr Color paints as above, but even put on some RML76 (!) - I've read somewhere (scalemates?) that equates to FS 36375 with 10% fading

However my serious respect for you if you've managed to succeed with the Revell -18E. I am genuinely too scared to buy it & take the plunge despite waiting for this kit for years. What scheme are you doing?

• Like 1