"Submarine Dubious" - Scratch built for fun from recycled plastic objects

Hi Gents,

Not sure if this fits the genre but there is no section for scratch built models (or at least I haven't found it) so here it is.

This is a scratch built model, built for fun from a plastic detergent bottle and other recycled plastic items. I call it "Submarine Dubious" :) A German U-Boat was an obvious inspiration as can be seen form the color scheme and the overall form.

I used miscellaneous leftover decals to add interest to the model.

HDPE plastic proved to be very hard to work with in terms of glueing parts together and painting! @%*$!!?@

Regards,

Nikola

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 29

1 hour ago, longshanks said:

You sir are completely mad!!

He should fit right in here then, and be completely at home! 😁

Gidday Nikola, welcome aboard. A rather interesting vessel you have created. The diving planes look to me a little like those on a humpback whale.

Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

That's absolutely brilliant! I used to make spaceships and stuff out of plastic bottles when I was a kid, but they were generally just stuck together with plasticene and sellotape. This is what I wished they could have looked like. Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

19 hours ago, calistan said:

That's absolutely brilliant! I used to make spaceships and stuff out of plastic bottles when I was a kid, but they were generally just stuck together with plasticene and sellotape. This is what I wished they could have looked like. Thanks for the nostalgia trip!

You're welcome Calistan :)

Thank you! 

Best, 

Nikola

3 minutes ago, depressed lemur said:

Environmentally friendly modelling. A fantastic result, Sir, I doff my cap to you in the greatest respect. The only concern with the handle is that it gives the Kraken something to grab hold of.

Thank you very much Lemur! 

Haha, good point on the Kraken. That's a serious design fault! Will talk to my engineers. :)

Best, 

Nikola

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Add me to the list of admirers. A great result and you had fun, that is important!

Thank you Pete! It really was fun. I am hoarding parts for the next one. Just need an idea to come up, haha. And free time of course, which sometimes seems impossible with a six year old and a baby at home :)

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Great idea, great execution 👏👏👏

Puts a new spin on the expression 'rusty tub' 😂

😂🤣

Thanks Alan, glad you like it.

It was really fun building it :)

Cheers,

Nikola