Kittyhawk Mk1a RCAF version F218

TonyW

Curtiss Kittyhawk Mk1a  F218F

Pushing my luck a bit at this stage of the GB, although it's a simple enough kit to build and I'm going to make it even simpler!

IMG-9437.jpg

It's the fourth P40 from me in this GB but the parts were sitting here, daring me to build them. Curse them, they won!

It's missing a prop blade so a clear disc can substitute. That means I can build it without undercarriage and use a late FROG stand to build an in flight version. That simplifies the build somewhat. The model will also sit well against the other version from this issue that I have already completed, the 450 Sqn RAAF one, as that is wheels down. The decal sheet shown is cracked beyond rescue and may well be a NOVO one. The part sheet has the RCAF fuselage decals and badges that are usable as the rest of the sheet was used on the Aussie one. 

A start has been made, with a bit of vintage tube glue meeting the plastic parts for round one. I hope to have the airframe in primer by this evening. I've also dug out a pair of FROG stands, one big one and one small one. I'll decide which one to use later on.

IMG-9438.jpg

The other P40's mentioned are the first issue, the RAAF version of the issue above and a stalled Chinese AF build that I can't finish as the decals broke up on application. I might be able to salvage something there if I'm lucky, it would be good from a collector point of view to have built examples of all the FROG issues. Greedy bugger.

Tony.

• Like 7

By doing a bit every now and then on this one, in between other builds, it's seemingly building itself! A couple of thin coats of Humbrol Middle Stone went on easily enough, followed by another couple of coats of Revell Dark Earth.

IMG-9457.jpg

IMG-9458.jpg

The spinner has been filled and painted red in preparation for its clear disc prop. The interior, or rather lack of interior has been hit with interior green and the transfers applied. The wing roundels came from the spares box and the blue is a bit different to the fuselage blue. A bit of weathering should even that up a bit.

IMG-9465.jpg

I'm confident this one will be done before the weekend.

• Like 7

This one should have been in the Gallery today.

Everything was done and dusted with just a bit of shine on the transfers that caught my eye a bit. A coat of Humbrol satin clear was applied and the plane put to one side while it dried. Coming back to it later on, I was less than impressed to see the satin varnish had clouded! A white residue showed up rather alarmingly all over the place. I've repainted the dark earth as best I can, the middle stone will get a tidy up tomorrow.

I had taken a few pictures before the disaster and here's one to be getting on with until I can take another lot. The stand is a FROG Skybase one. It has a swivel head on it enabling the plane to be posed as required. It also has a hole in the base so you can screw the stand to the wall. Parents would be delighted!

The prop disc is a circle of 10 thou clear plastic card.

IMG-9538.jpg

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 7

Hi Tony,

In the past when using non acrylic varnishes I have sometimes had a white residue after spraying. I found it went away (dissolved?) after I sprayed a light coat of the same varnish thinned a bit more. Mostly it was on tank kits where the varnish had "pooled" around parts of the superstructure.. I have not had much problem with acrylic varnishes though there have been hints of white patches once or twice, but the second coat seemed to see them off. If you have this problem again it might be worth trying respraying as it avoids repainting.

Just a thought.

Pete

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Can't see your picture. All i see is this a small pulsing grey box with this in it:  IMG-9538.jpg

Chris

All fine at this end Chris.

I use Postimage for pictures and it seems to be working so far. Do the other pictures in the thread show?

Tony.

Edited by TonyW

Tony, I've had luck just respraying another clear coat over the top of a 'cloudy' coat just as long as it's the same 'medium' of clear. Lately, I've been using Tamiya's good old range of Clears and mixed with their Acrylic thinner they seem to work out pretty well. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks for the tips guys.

I've binned the Humbrol clears I have here. I have no confidence in them anymore as this is not the first time the brand has let me down. I had a similar thing happen during the Matchbox GB with white areas appearing after clearcoating. I'll give the Tamiya stuff a go, the few Tamiya paints I have here seem to perform perfectly.

• Like 1

Here's an early morning Kittyhawk view, showing the white bloom on the wing and tail...

IMG-9660.jpg

Annoying, but recoverable. The roundels will need replacing but the rest will be fine. Looking at the picture, I see I've overdone the wing root wear. I'll tone that down a bit while I'm there.

Edited by TonyW
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, TonyW said:

All fine at this end Chris.

I use Postimage for pictures and it seems to be working so far. Do the other pictures in the thread show?

Tony.

The picture is visible now. Looks nice.

Chris

• Like 1

All done now, pictures heading off to the Gallery as we speak.

Have this one as a parting shot, far too magnified for the standard of the modelling, but suitably dramatic to end the thread!

IMG-9773.jpg

• Like 4

That looks great Tony, well done and congratulations on yet another superb Frog kit build. You deserve to sit back and have a few quiet ones to celebrate what's been a massive effort from you. 

Cheers and well done.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1