Avro Vulcan HELP!

Jetgrob

I have several questions about this beauty.

1. What engine is molded in the Airfix kit?

2. How can you tell what engine is in the model you want to build?  (I have the Freightdog Series 201 and the Flightpath Series 200.)

3. Does anyone know where I could possibly get 1,000lb free fall bombs for the bomb bay?

I’m thinking about Vulcans in a similar vein. I just found this BM thread and although I’ve not read it all yet, does seem to explain quite a bit about which airframe had which engines 

Now I’m sure Freightdog has some 1000 pounders, however not sure if the rear fins are exactly what you’re after, best to check references. They come in a four pack, so you’ll need six sets to deck out the full bomb bay. Could be worse, a Victor could accept 35! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

The airfix kit is for 301 series Olympus Engines which are different to the 201 and much smaller 101 - 104 series. 
I think wolfpacks resin intakes have 201 faces with them :) 

• Like 1

The Olympus 301 tailpipes in the Airfix kit are shorter and wider than the Olympus 201 tailpipes, they're also quite crude.  Freightdog do a nice resin set of 201s but I don't think Anyone'a yet done a decent set of aftermarket 301s.  

On 10/4/2019 at 1:19 PM, Planebuilder62 said:

There is a nice 301 brass set on evilbay at the moment

regards Toby

I got one set of those are simply Phantastic

• Thanks 1

According to 'Vulcan B2 from a different angle', a total of forty-four Vulcans had Olympus 301s.

XH557, XJ784, XL384-391, XM574-576, XM594-612 and XM645-657.

They were retrofitted on XH557, XJ784 and XL384-391 around 1964, whereas from XM574 onwards they were built with 301s. 

All other B2s would have had 201s with the longer, narrower jet pipes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Airfix's Valiant is a good source of 1k lb bombs, if you can get hold of one or someone who has one.

With regards to the engine types, don't Fundekals' Vulcan B2 decal guide, it has all the information in there and is available for free download.

4 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Airfix's Valiant is a good source of 1k lb bombs, if you can get hold of one or someone who has one.

With regards to the engine types, don't Fundekals' Vulcan B2 decal guide, it has all the information in there and is available for free download.

Well they would be a  good source................ if they looked  like RAF 1000lb bombs!  But unfortunately they don't.

Selwyn

• Like 1