Airfix PR XIX- what's up with the ailerons?

Jim Kiker

Hi all,

I am working on the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire PR XIX.  I am putting the wings together to check the fit of the ailerons and flaps before gluing them all in.  In my kit, the right aileron wants to fit in a deflecting downward position and the left one in the upward position.  Not displaced by a lot, but noticeable, and I've already glued the control stick for neutral on the ailerons.  No where in the instructions that I have found, nor in any of the various build articles have I seen any mention of this.  Am I right to assume the kit is engineered this way?  And if so, how can the ailerons be built in the neutral position?

It's always something with this kit...

TIA, Jim

Well, I've just taken a look at the one I built a few years ago, and the ailerons are both in the neutral position. I don't remember whether it was a struggle and, if so, how much, but I've found separate ailerons almost always require a certain amount of trimming and tweaking.

Hello Jim,

I've built four so far and there is a problem with the ailerons. They are always too thick and the fit is poor. I decided to glue them exactly into that position where the fit was best and then simply sand down to shape. Some styrene was needed at least with one example.

Cheers,

Antti

Hello Jim,

that's right. I can't remember whether the deflection was up or down. Left aileron (all four kits) set in place below the wing under surface. So sanding and re-scribing were required. All my PR.XIXs have their ailerons in neutral position thanks to filling and sanding.

Cheers,

Antti