A Big ol' bag o' string

Good day to all!

Here is my latest completion, Tamiyas venerable Swordfish in 1:48 dressed up as an aircraft from one of my former squadrons 810 NAS from 1938 (obviously before my time lol). I bought the kit last year from the HMCS Shearwater Hobby show for a decent price and it also came with the rigging etch as well. I invested in the Eduard cockpit set mainly for the harnesses but it also came with a nice instrument panel so used that as well. Im not a great fan of Tamiyas decals and wanted to do something nice and colourful, luckily I came across a set of decals representing a recent incarnation of an RN Historic Flight aircraft which itself was a version from 1938, the sheet also provided information and alternative decals for the original. The sheet was from Scale Model World, and the decals went down very well the only snag i felt was the blue/red strip had a tiny bit out of register, apart from that perfect really.

The build itself was relatively painless as you would expect from Tamiya, but I did find a big snag (which may be down to my own hamfistedness or Tamiyas engineering.....you decide lol!) I followed the instructions to a T when assembling the wings. It says to do them separate (even if spread) and then insert the rigging wires, before fitting to the aircraft. I got this all perfect but then when I fitted the wings it forced the rigging out of shape! So in the end I just removed it and as it was badly distorted ditched the kit rigging and replaced it with wire AFTER I had fitted the wings. The only other touch I added were the control wires for the rudder and elevator.

I also decided to tool her up to the max, whether she could take off in this configuration is debatable but I think it looks better fully laden! So here she is!......

20191003_173417

20191003_173429

20191003_173523

20191003_173500

20191003_173649

20191003_173638

20191003_173737

20191003_173119

Apologies for the crappy phots, taken with my crappy phone!

Cheers now

Bob

Edited by moaning dolphin
Hamfistedness causing premeture posting!
  • Like 32
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Apologies for the crappy phots, taken with my crappy phone!

They came out alright, alright enough to see a beautifully made Stringbag anyways. :) 

3 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Looks like the factory workers were challenging the novice pilot to see if he could take off

overloaded.

Airshow load out, to impress the gullible. ;) :D

Steve.

• Like 1

What a great job.  I just finished this kit last winter and used their photo etch set for rigging and it just about killed me trying to get it to look close to right.  Yours looks to have came out perfect.

• Like 1

Greetings from another Nova Scotian. I was born and grew up near Windsor. I used to visit a few pubs in Halifax before I moved west in 1980.

That Swordfish looks great! Nicely done.

Chris

• Like 1