Dalek, 1:5 scale, SEVANS Models

I have been debating (with myself) whether to make something from a game or settle for something in my stash.

The game options were:

a space ship from Elite Dangerous, which would involve some 3d printing

something from IL2, probably based on one of my own racing skins (maybe a metallic blue &  yellow P-51D?)

These options are not fully closed off, but, I've decided to go with something from my stash ...

A SEVANS Models Dalek, in 1:5 scale

The box - with Airfix 1/72 Spitfire for scale

dalek-000.jpg

A selection of parts, again with Airfix 1/72 Spitfire

dalek-001.jpg

The instructions suggest this should take something like 300 minutes building time - I'll believe that when it's finished

• Like 10

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle and @trickyrich

56 minutes ago, Hewy said:

"Ohh, yesss" (churchill dog  style ) what colours, retro or new style,  I'd  love one of these 

Hello Glynn

I have yet to decide - the kit is dated 1984, so the colours they suggest are quite old.  There is something appealingly kitsch about the Saucer Commander from 1963 (red and silver skirts), black and gold would be smart - or for some of the newer schemes, I may have to sit through DVDs of Dalek stories making notes (such punishment :whistle: )

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

You have reminded me of 2 daleks in my stash. I'll dig one out while I'm waiting for the Incom Corp T-65 to get it's self moving. 

There was a real full size dalek at Telford last time I was there. Red and gold as I remember. 

Great addition to the group build. 

Colin 

• Like 1

Had a chance to get started.  This is stage 1 (almost) complete ... I left the top plate unattached because I thought it might make painting easier

dalek-002.jpg

I also made a start on stage 2, cutting out the skits

dalek-003.jpg

Umm, yes that is a gaping gap you see in the front

dalek-004.jpg

OK, I knew there might be a geometry issue between the top plate and the base, but this is a bit different.  Solvable, but different.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Colin W said:

You have reminded me of 2 daleks in my stash. I'll dig one out while I'm waiting for the Incom Corp T-65 to get it's self moving. 

There was a real full size dalek at Telford last time I was there. Red and gold as I remember. 

Great addition to the group build. 

Colin 

Oh, yes, do dig out your Dalek, we need more here :)

I've only been to Telford once - but a red / gold Dalek sounds good

5 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

OK, I knew there might be a geometry issue between the top plate and the base, but this is a bit different.  Solvable, but different.

I know this is going sound stupid but did you try that piece the other way around ?  I wonder if its upside down as the spheres seem higher on the left when looking at it ? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know this is going sound stupid but did you try that piece the other way around ?  I wonder if its upside down as the spheres seem higher on the left when looking at it ? 

No, it doesn't sound stupid Dennis, it is a very reasonable question. And, you are right, there is a slight height difference between the left and right sides - I had to check, cause, I hadn't seen it before.

What can't be see from the photos is that the tops of the skirt panels are noticably shorter than their bases, so getting them upside down is a bit obvious

• Like 1

these complex shapes are often where manufactures fall over and things just don't fit as they should.

The way I'd tackle it is to remake the sides from plastic sheet (custom fit each one), then carefully cutoff the spheres and re-fit them the the new sides. Just treat each sphere as an individual VacFrom bit, with some careful measuring and you'll get them in the right spots.

If you want to be really clever, use some thin plastic rod to make up the shape/size of each panel, just tack the right length of rod to top and bottom plates, then cut rods to join them and glue. Voila, perfect panel patterns....or you can just use tape and paper.

Note these will only work if the top and bottom sides are parallel! :whistle: 

• Thanks 1

Maybe this will provide some inspiration for you.

The short one on the right is the Comet Models injection molded kit.  The one on the left is completely scratch built (in 1/6th scale if I remember correctly)

S5002351.JPG&key=4151a29700dc03082c52514

I chose to go with the "classic" Mk I look for the scratch build, and decided to go a bit wild on the other, with a metallic red.

The scratch build was one of the first things I ever did on BM

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 05/10/2019 at 00:17, trickyrich said:

The way I'd tackle it is to remake the sides from plastic sheet (custom fit each one), then carefully cutoff the spheres and re-fit them the the new sides. Just treat each sphere as an individual VacFrom bit, with some careful measuring and you'll get them in the right spots.

Thanks Rich, I think that will be the way to go.

On 05/10/2019 at 20:16, hendie said:

Maybe this will provide some inspiration for you.

The short one on the right is the Comet Models injection molded kit.  The one on the left is completely scratch built (in 1/6th scale if I remember correctly)

S5002351.JPG&key=4151a29700dc03082c52514

Ah, those are useful - with the shots at a good angle for planning the base layout (and some nice ideas for bracing the skirts in your links) hendie

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh a Sevans Dalek, you are a very brave man :) I did a Comet Miniatures Dalek about 2 years ago

DSC_9364.JPG

but these don't have a fraction of the complexity of a Sevans one! I occasionally see one of these kits for sale on eBay and keep being tempted, but then I remember Nigel building Attitude Adjuster and I put the temptation away! 

Looking forward to seeing this... no pressure :D

• Like 2

On 26/11/2019 at 12:25, DalekCheese said:

It’s a brill thread- but can this one grow to the same lengths over time? :lol:

Not a chance - I have enough problems photographing my models without the added complication of meal times.

@Kallisti, I've had this kit in my stash for years, it is about time it came out (though I'm stalled ATM).

Seeing Nigel's thread will help with some of the problems I've encountered, but don't anticipate anything near as good as his build.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...