Airfix 1/72nd Blackburn Buccaneer S.2C

It's okay I spose (TVFIC!)

What a corker. I really (REALLY) want to do an RAF version in the wraparound camo but may just buy this kit as well for the wraparound grey scheme

Awesome work Andy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mo' Melchett Marvels Andy

As above I also went and bought the Airfix 'rag' 😂 when I saw it had your build in it

It has put my Matchbox spare in the bin now, not a hope in hell of me building that now

As might have been alluded to recently.....1/24

1/24, it's a scale used for big beautiful models and I heard a rumour that there might be one around of a Buc.....…..…..……..

Ouch leggo you bounder, you rotter Coker leggo

• Haha 2

Wow, thanks to every one of you, it's really appreciated. Bearing in mind the affection that these old British Cold War warriors are held in I'm just happy that someone is finally doing them justice, the fact that it's Airfix is just the icing on the cake...  

Just one question, do the bombs attach themselves inside the bomb bay easily as from what I’ve seen they are designed for the underwing pylons? 

Thanks Dave, no, I had to add small tabs to the tops of the bombs so that they located into the slots in the bay, five minute job really. The big bay just looked a bit empty without stores and if I'd had another pair of thousand pounders I'd have added those as well. I'm fairly certain that we'll see all manner of resin/PE aftermarket  goodies for the kit in the future including weapons and even a complete new weapons bay. 

In fact, I see that ResKit has already sorted out resin wheels and weapons for the kit, including 2in rocket pods plus various 1,000 pounder variants and AIM provided some instant sunshine in the form of Red Beard and WE177 tactical nukes.

I am looking forward to the next one. 

Working on it as we speak John...more will be revealed at Telford.

Guessing we will have to wait for a proper Operation Granby Pink Lady? Have one of these on pre-order- can't wait to see it. Glad to see you back on the forum, too! 

I'm sure your wish will be granted Mike, you certainly won't be disappointed with what's in the box... thanks, hopefully I'll have some time to finish some of my earlier projects at some point and post them here in WIP.

Now lets see your 1/24th scale Buccaneer side by side...

Ha, thanks Colin (the Airfix tiddler barely covers the tailplane!)...I'm trying to get it up on its legs in time for SMW, not an easy task considering the all up weight of the thing. I might even get a coat of primer on it! Funnily enough, I'm just in the process of sorting out white metal intake rings and a huge decal sheet for it. If it does make an appearance it'll be on the LSP table...that's a big 'if' though.

I would imagine this model will be on the Airfix stand at Telford this year.  I was going to Bruningthorpe this year as a friend I know also helps out on the Buccaneer, but sadly I was away lol, anyway hopefully will see you at Telford

Thanks Kev, this one won't be at the show this time as there will already be two on the stand supplied by the Airfix guys. Due to them appearing in, basically the same scheme, it doesn't make sense to have lots of them. Shame you couldn't make Brunty this year it was a blast, (in more ways than one). I'll definitely catch up with you at Telford, Bomber Command table as always.

Amazing! Saw one irl last weekend at Hendon; they're deceptively big.

True Adam, it's a big aeroplane...even bigger when you're sat in one and realize just how high off the ground you are. 

I went out and bought the Airfix rag as soon as I saw your creation on the front cover.  Looks fab.

Well thanks meatbox, really appreciate that, always good to here that it's worth the effort.

I really (REALLY) want to do an RAF version in the wraparound camo but may just buy this kit as well for the wraparound grey scheme

Thanks pappy, patience, it'll be along in due course, I'm sure. I agree the RAF wraparound looks great, and one I'm looking forward to. While the EDSG looks good on the Bucc you could always spice things up a bit by going for the rather natty experimental 'Squirrel Grey' scheme that's included in the Xtradecals set.

It has put my Matchbox spare in the bin now, not a hope in hell of me building that now

Thanks old fella, appreciate you shelling out a few sovs for the cause, means I can do a few more. I think we can collectively chuck our earlier bricks into landfill for now. Wonder who will be the first to bring out an NA.39/S.1 conversion?

As might have been alluded to recently.....1/24

1/24, it's a scale used for big beautiful models and I heard a rumour that there might be one around of a Buc.....…..…..……..

Bill, Bill, Bill, not you as well :doh:........in that case, I can only do the honorable thing by blowing orf the cobwebs, breaking out the arc welder and setting about the thing with gusto...tally ho, I'm going in...

Edited by general melchett
correction
  • Thanks 2

Bought the Mag last month as soon as I saw your Bucc on the cover, and thoroughly enjoyed a good read. Managed to pick up the last kit in the LMS last weekend too!

Look what you have done with your superb build, stopped me building 1/32 Great War subjects and lured me back into 1/72 naval subjects. If it was 1/48 I probably would have exploded with joy.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

Rumour has it chaps, that we may get a return to BIG SCALE any day soon…

Well, if it stops you pinging elastic bands at me across the tables at Telford, then it's a deal...

might have to just go out and get one!

Bob...come on ,man, just do it, it's got RN written all over it...

Look what you have done with your superb build, stopped me building 1/32 Great War subjects and lured me back into 1/72 naval subjects.

Thanks John...give my sincerest apols to the Great War for stopping it in its tracks, (makes a change from me starting them I suppose) but it sounds like a very reasonable decision to me...

If it was 1/48 I probably would have exploded with joy.

Ha, yes, me too...but never fear, it's been mentioned in dispatches to the chaps in the Airfix dug out.

9 hours ago, general melchett said:

In fact, I see that ResKit has already sorted out resin wheels and weapons for the kit, including 2in rocket pods plus various 1,000 pounder variants and AIM provided some instant sunshine in the form of Red Beard and WE199 tactical nukes.

I think you mean WE 177 nukes, but to hang them in a Bucc bomb bay there would have to be strike fairings fitted to the front and rear of the bomb bay.  All the bombs fitted into the Bucc bomb bay,  strike and conventional, had bomb carriers fitted to the bombs prior to loading. 

• Thanks 1

General Sir Andy! 

This is a real pearl of model building. Like it very much. It turns out perfectly. Your photography is perfect too. I have to order this magazine.

Cheers

Andy 

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys, appreciated as ever.

I think you mean WE 177 nukes

Thanks Bob, yes of course....the ironic thing is, I supplied Neil with info for the weapons :doh:   suitably amended.

I'll be able to buy the mag & drool in private. 

Ahem...always best to drool in private, Steve :winkgrin:

I have to order this magazine.

Thanks Andy, great to hear...

• Haha 2

Another beauty Andy and like others,.... I bought the Airfix mag solely for your article,...... plus two kits!!! 

Cheers mate,

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brilliant job on the Bucc, General! I say, but you've caught the heavy but shapely lines of the old girl (which reminds me of someone I once knew - heavy but shapely). However, if I may be so bold, your Generalship, Airfix have issued it in the proper scale, as it's in 1/72nd scale. As much as I hate to contradict you, old horse. Now that I think about it, this model should just about fit into the bomb bay of that 1/24th scale Bucc you at one time were working on. Now there's a proper scale for a Bucc!

With Warmest Regards, I Remain as Always Your Most Devoted (if not most industrious) Servant,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Haha 1

Thanks guys, your comments really are appreciated, plenty more to come...

Still not sure what colour the undercarriage and bays is, instruction say humbrol 196 but I’ll rather use mr hobby or Tamiya.

Delticfan, there seems to be a lot of debate over the original colours used. It appears that the RN S.2 undercarriage gears, doors and bays were painted Light Blue Grey BS381C-697, (Light Admiralty Grey) The later RAF aircraft appear to have been repainted Bs 381c 627 Light Aircraft Grey, though some, like in the image below had colours held over from the RN days. The undercarriage bay and doors were also a lighter grey, some say US Ghost Grey (just to confuse matters further). I went for Mr.Hobby RLM65 with a little LAG added as this seemed a close match. I have a couple of  Light Admiralty Grey paints (Lifecolor and WEM) but seemed a little too green for my taste. It's all a matter of personal choice of course and after a bit of weathering the tones become somewhat muted in any case. 

Bare in mind this image was taken using flash, but it gives you some idea...  

2005_0205buccaneer0028.jpg&key=fb5583686

you've inspired me to get this kit asap

Thank you CJP, the more the merrier, I don't you'll be disappointed.

I bought the Airfix mag solely for your article,...... plus two kits!!! 

Thanks Tony, cheque's in the post...(hang on, do we still use cheques, OK, Paypal transfer.....hang on, do we still use Paypal!)  Teo kits eh, now that's more like it. Talking to the Airfix bods it would seem that the kit is flying off the shelves which is really good news all round.

you've caught the heavy but shapely lines of the old girl (which reminds me of someone I once knew - heavy but shapely).

Jason my old jalopy, you've been talking to the Mem again haven't you! She forgives you.

Now that I think about it, this model should just about fit into the bomb bay of that 1/24th scale Bucc you at one time were working on. Now there's a proper scale for a Bucc!

Well, not far off!....with Alan Wilson doing his 1/32nd S.2, all we need is a decent 1/48th offering (preferably from Airfix) and we'll have the full set (even Tamiya had a 1/100th jobby, Welsh their 1/144th vac and even a 1/700th one from Starling Models). 

1-DSC-5084-001.jpg

It has surprised me since joining the forum that models of the Buccaneer only occasionally come along so hopefully this delightful kit will remedy that shortfall.

Thanks Gary, I agree this should go some way to redressing the balance, finally a decent Buccaneer that doesn't require a second mortgage.

I too saw it on the Mag as I was passing, just had to buy.

Great build and article

Cheers Chris, appreciated, lots more in the pipeline...

• Like 4

On 03/10/2019 at 20:15, Andy350 said:

Superb.  I build this 30 years ago, yours is excellent. 

I bet you didn't 😁

This is Airfix's third Buccaneer model in 1/72. The one you built 30 years ago is most likely their 1989 "New Tool" - which isn't that bad to be honest. They also produced an NA39 in 1960. That one should only be built as a "nostalgia piece".

I have a number of 1/72 Bucc models in my stash, Revell (ex-Matchbox), FROG, Airfix 1989 and Airfix NA39- and I aim to build them all (some day). However, that did not stop me picking up the new kit at the Abingdon show.

The article and pictures in Airfix magazine convinced me I had to have one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a number of 1/72 Bucc models in my stash, Revell (ex-Matchbox), FROG, Airfix 1989 and Airfix NA39-

Same here but never got around to building any of them...oh, except for the NA.39, but I was 10 at the time, it ended up being declared Cat 5, courtesy of a modification that involved a few somewhat destructive fireworks...

The article and pictures in Airfix magazine convinced me I had to have one.

Thanks Eric, you won't be disappointed.

Started building it and its a lot easier to put together than the phantom no fiddly joins etc. The panel lines are really good. Great kit can see me making a few.

Good to hear, hopefully you'll show us the results.