Pennants on Radio Antenna

GRK

Hi all

I'm nearly done with my Tamiya Matilda (the Phantom, 42nd RTR scheme). I'm wondering what the pennants you often see on pictures attached to the radio antenna were and what's the best colour/pattern to use on my model?

Thanks in advance

Edited by GRK

Don't have a definite answer, but the pennant was utilized as a national recognition feature.  Usually the colour reflected the regiment's placement within the larger unit.  42nd RTR was the second senior regiment within 1st Army Tank Brigade, so it's colour should have been yellow.   One or two pennants were generally used, and their position too, could vary depending on orders of the day.

I don't know of any photo's that can prove yellow, but there is good set of photo's of the junior regiment here:

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205207179

regards,

Jack

• Thanks 1

These pennants were changed regularly.  There is a sequence for command tanks which at present I don't recall.  It may be in the 'Warpaint' series.  The shape varied too, rectangular, swallowtail and triangular.  Colours varied, red, blue, yellow and green.  The positioning was set out in orders prior to operations or action.  The actual sequence for several days sent by written orders to the units involved.  I have a set for Operation Crusader where over the period of the operation the positioning and shapes are prearranged  for 2 or 3 days.  Changes were signalled to units by code word which would be acknowledged then implemented at the appointed time.   For example;  days 1 -3 code Brushwood'. red  triangle top, blue rectangle at middle.  Days 4-6 code 'Pears',  Yellow swallowtail middle, red rectangle bottom, days 6-10 code 'Broomstick'  Blue swallowtail bottom  red Swallowtail top.   These were in addition  to CO's flag or troop leader  and so on. so there might be three flags showing, the command flag at top with the ID flag just below that.   The use of these became more constrained in 1942 when it was realised that the enemy targeted multiple flags or brought down artillery on tanks which, although hull down on observations, still displayed an erected aerial with flags showing.  Which is why aerial bases on the early light and cruiser tanks were foldable.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Presumably changed periodically, like radio codes, to prevent captured tanks being mistaken for friendly or knocked-out for active?  I always thought the antennas folded in order to get under low bridges etc.  German antennas up to PzIV all folded too, allegedly to prevent damage from the scenery.  Then everyone stopped doing it.

On German tanks the aerials are mounted on the end of wooden boxes fitted to the hull or trackguard.  Aerials were retracted to prevent them being knocked off when the gun was traversed as well as overhead foliage damage.  I should had mentioned that for British tanks in my previous.   On early Pz IV I think the aerial base was sprung and a frame deflector under the gun flipped it down when traversed.